Apple Trying to Shutdown Android with Galaxy Nexus Ban?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimalGecko

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]i know the attorneys for apple and google must be loving this[/citation]
They are the only true winners in these fights.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
Yah, ya think? I respect Steve Jobs for what he DID accomplish. I do not respect the man that wants the world and thinks he can have it by sueing everyone for anythnig possible no matter how small the issue. This is like the very first phone manufacturer claiming that they own it all and no one else can manufactur or create any cellular device. Stifiling innovation and systematically trying to shut down the competition (or sue the competition until they give up or are broke and can not continue the fight which is what I really thnik Apple is up to this way it is not THEIR fault) is not in anyone's best interests. At some point the governmant will HAVE to see the light and step in to stop Apple from deliberately doing this.

In addition the patent office should stop this nonsence as well. I would be proud to know that I created somethnig and that someone else saw additional potential to make it better. I would not want to FORCE them into submission or paying money just to use it. In the end the world and companies are greedy and money driven. this will probably never change...

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I'm waiting for a response to my application for a software patent; my future invention allows a user to make and or receive calls over a 5th generation cellular network.

I'll be rich

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]That makes his death sound suspicious.[/citation]

Glad someone with so much hate in their heart is dead. No good can come of that much anger.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]However, I see Gates and Jobs more intent on controlling the world rather than let people freely innovate.[/citation]
You mean Gates as in Bill Gates? The Bill Gates who isn't responsible for any recent litigation from Microsoft because he hasn't been CEO for twelve years now? The Bill Gates who has repeatedly shattered his own record for charitable donations, and is successfully campaigning among billionaires to get them to start donating too ($125,000,000,000 pledged so far)? The Bill Gates who was formerly the richest man in the world, but decided that he had too much money and is giving 95% of it away?

Yeah, that guy sounds like an asshole. Shame on him for stepping away from the job that made him the richest man in the world and dedicating his life to giving it all back.

G

Some of those patents are ridiculous too. The unified search patent starts with the assertion that a websearch cannot search a local system and that a local system search cannot search the web.
Then the whole idea of search using natural language, the modern idea of it is as old as startrek and starwars...
Unified search:
"C-3PO: [translating for R2] He says he's found the main control to the power beam that's holding the ship here; he'll try to make the precise location appear on the monitor.
[a diagram of the power terminal appears on the screen]
C-3PO: The tractor beam is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave.
"
Hueristic search combined with Data tapping:
"Luke: [interrupting] Will you shut up and listen to me! Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level, will ya? Do you copy? Shut down all the garbage smashers on the detention level! Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level!
C-3PO: [to R2-D2] No! Shut them *all* down, hurry!
[R2 shuts down the compactors]
Luke: What? HAHA! Hey, you did it 3PO!
"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/quotes
I'd love to see those quotes used as evidence in court.
LOL

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
There is a saying... "Winners innovate, losers litigate"

There is a point where certain functionality is so natural or common that it goes beyond belief that someone can claim to own the rights. Data tapping? Seriously? Isn't that akin to clicking a hyperlink with your finger instead of a mouse? How can one build on the previous innovation of someone else and take full credit for it with a patent? It's ludicrous.

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]That makes his death sound suspicious.[/citation]
God: Your powers are weak, old man.
Jobs: If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

G

Apple is becoming a monopoly, or is one already. The government needs to step in to stop Apple from suing Android phone makers. What they are doing is wrong. Apple might as well sue the world for god's sake. We all are using stuff they patent which most of them are ridiculous. Apple needs to stop crying and leave Android alone. We don't need more businesses closing. We need jobs and if Android phone makers close then we lose jobs and who is it to blame? All fingers should point to Apple. This economy will be getting worse if Apple wins and they will be hated.

[citation][nom]brucen13[/nom]Data tapping? Seriously? Isn't that akin to clicking a hyperlink with your finger instead of a mouse? How can one build on the previous innovation of someone else and take full credit for it with a patent? It's ludicrous.[/citation]
The exact patent is for parsing the text, finding patterns which look like a phone number, and automatically linkifying it so tapping it calls the number. It's a stupid, blindingly obvious idea. But the USPTO has a track record of missing the obvious. They granted a patent on using XOR to draw a mouse cursor in the 1980s. Yes, someone literally had a patent on one of the primary boolean operators (AND, OR, XOR, NOT, etc.) when applied to graphics.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]solandri[/nom]The exact patent is for parsing the text, finding patterns which look like a phone number, and automatically linkifying it so tapping it calls the number. It's a stupid, blindingly obvious idea. But the USPTO has a track record of missing the obvious. They granted a patent on using XOR to draw a mouse cursor in the 1980s. Yes, someone literally had a patent on one of the primary boolean operators (AND, OR, XOR, NOT, etc.) when applied to graphics.[/citation]

Yeah and the world outside US is starting to laugh at uspto's patents, what will happen when they are suppose to uphold true innovation when they accept this kind of "innovation". The word credibility is something that is quickly eroding away!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The patent system needs to be fixed. I say maximum lifetime on a patent/copyright needs to be reduced to say 4 years. I can understand Trademarks lasting a long time though.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
actually Apple is correct.....they are the ones that made touch screen phones available to the masses....everyone else copied them....do you remember how many capable smartphone phones were before the iphone came out?...none....when i say capable i am referring to ease of use and small form factor

Status
Not open for further replies.