Apple TV Is About to Get a Big Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

(first of all, thanks for commenting!) So, I can't blame you, because I too really wanted Apple to reinvent TV and not just release a Roku with a prettier interface (god that thing is ugly).

But, as someone who owns both, I would rather move my ATV4 between rooms than dedicate the ATV3 to a single screen. One big perk of the 4 over the 3 is that more content is available, as nobody's developing channels for the ATV3 anymore.

Still, probably not worth it if you have all the apps you need.

Loki6666

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
"I too really wanted Apple to reinvent TV"? In what way beyond simply putting a piece of bitten fruit on it? I suspect they're too busy reinventing the automobile to be bothered with reinventing TV ;-)

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
"not just release a Roku with a prettier interface (god that thing is ugly)"

Uh, Roku and Fire TV owner here. What exactly is wrong with the Roku interface? It gets out of the way and lets me get to what I want quickly. This is why I prefer it to Fire TV where anything non-Amazon gets deprecated.

And what exactly makes Apple's offering "over-the-top" compared to any comparable device? This article reeks of bias.

"One big perk of the 4 over the 3 is that more content is available, as nobody's developing channels for the ATV3 anymore."

Sounds like typical Apple. In comparison, all Roku players regardless of the model get all the channels.

NinoBrown

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
It's not bias to call Apple's offering "over-the-top". OTT stands for “over-the-top,” the term used for the delivery of film and TV content via the internet, without requiring users to subscribe to a traditional cable or satellite pay-TV service like a Comcast or Time Warner Cable.

The sad part is...

At the rumor that Apple is doing self-driving vehicle research, what immediately came to my mind is.... isn't like Google years ahead of this game? (mapping again?)

Then Siri came out first, now Alexa seems to be ahead of the game.... what? happened?

Sad-sad-sad.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

I wanted that because I simply do not care about automobiles that much. Living in an urban city that runs on public transit can do that to you.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

As the below comment notes, over the top/OTT is just a technical term, not a mark of quality.

And as for the Roku interface: it includes ads for stuff I don't want, tons of dead space and just a really rather dated design style. And I'm just not a heavy/significant Amazon shopper, so I don't really go near their hardware because I have no need for prime.

I'll say this much, though: nobody's streaming device is getting it right if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.