Apple Unveils Big iPhone OS 3.0 Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
“Finally, a giant touchscreen phone that can double as a navigation system!” But not quite – as it was just a more accurate Google Maps out of the box. The new iPhone OS 3.0 will support turn-by-turn directions. We can already smell the fear from the GPS industry. No wonder Garmin is getting into phones.

That's great, but I'll stick with my Nuvi thanks. 1st gen autorouting? No confidence here.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
“The new iPhone OS 3.0 is a major software release packed with incredible new features and innovations for iPhone customers and developers alike. It will keep us years ahead of the competition,”
Apple announced that OS 3.0 will have cut, copy and paste
Whether you see it as fantastic continued support by Apple or just another ploy to make standard, common features seem exceptional on just another Apple product
Bolded for your convenience.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Sounds like there are a lot of cool (or long due) new features in the iphone OS 3.0. But it is still not going to support Flash! :(

I am wondering is it because of the not powerful enough ARM in iphone or other "business" concerns?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Stereo Bluetooth, Landscape Texting, Turn by Turn Direction, Multimedia Messaging, Text Forwarding, Copy, Cut, Paste, and the in app payment system is just about everything I wanted from this update. The only thing that wasn't announced was native voice dialing. Third party voice dialing apps are annoying.

I can see why stereo bluetooth was left off the original iPhone but I have no idea why MMS was left off. Seeing as it was one of the most sought after features they probably left it off to entice buyers to upgrade to the iPhone 3g or whatever new iPhone they may or may not release.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]gimarbazat[/nom]how about FLASH???[/citation]

It may happen sometime in our lifetime but sorry.. not this time. Unless there is going to be a last min change on the Iphon OS 3.0 when it is released this summer, the new Iphone OS 3.0 is not going to support FLASH (which is very sad.... :( ).

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Some may scoff that other smartphones have had many of these features for years now

It's true.

“The new iPhone OS 3.0 is a major software release packed with incredible new features and innovations for iPhone customers and developers alike. It will keep us years ahead of the competition,

I lol'ed.

Apple announced that OS 3.0 will have cut, copy and paste – something users have wanted more than anything else since the first iPhone hit the market in 2007

Yea, because that's years ahead of the competition.

And just to get the iPhone caught up with the rest of the cell phone world, OS 3.0 will finally support MMS.[/quote]

Again, light years ahead...

MMS will not be available on the original iPhone 2G phone

It's their ploy to force 2G users to upgrade to 3G. Abandoning a nice metal case for a platic one that cracks.

Honestly, no matter which way Schiller wants to spin it, iPhone OS 3.0 is only playing catch-up with the competition in terms of features.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
these are exactly the reasons everyone jailbreaks their iphones!
I have been able to use all of these features for ages using apps from cydia. lol, camera (film), mms, bite sms (can forward sms's, type using landscape). Theres even an app that supposedly gives you full bluetooth capability, although I havn't tried that yet...

Apple is playing catch up, but once the new OS comes out and the apps will run native, that'll give non cydia users a well awaited boost.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Luckily for me, I don't care about MMS or bluetooth, so I can keep my 1st gen iPhone with the metal case (plastic sucks).

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
iPhone 3G does not stand for Third Generation iPhone. 3G denotes use of the 3G network, and the term 2G, even knowing the error, is ridiculous in particular because unknowledgable consumers begin using it and misinformation spreads. Fail.

iron-e

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
How about the ability to surf the web while using mms? Or talk on the phone while taking pics or using google maps?

I can with my PRE. And now I can use my Baby-mamma's Itunes account too!

Status
Not open for further replies.