Apple Updates iPod Touch and Classic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trih

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Sorry, I'll ask Microsoft to host a fancy event tomorrow. You know, just to even it up a bit.[/citation]
Microsoft's idea of a fancy event is Monkey-boy dancing and I'm pretty sure we don't want to read about that :)
Maybe if you guys who just whine about Apple could chip in a few bucks Monkey-boy will throw some chairs at this fancy event(hint: supply chairs with Google logos).

saliwok

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Back to the content of the article for a sec. - I, too, am glad that the Classic is back up to 160 GB - I'm over 120 GB on music alone and I absolutely love having it all in my pocket. That alone is keeping me away from the Touch or iPhone.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@ KT Snyder

Look at the features panel on the Toms homepage. "Core i5, Core i7, CrossFire, And SLI: Gaming Paradise, Redux? // In Theory: How Does Lynnfield's On-Die PCI Express Affect Gaming? // Intel Core i5 And Core i7: Intel’s Mainstream Magnum Opus"

Maybe the "News" panel wasn't flooded, but Tom's definitely filled itself with core i5 chatter pretty quick

KTSnyder

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
"Sorry if it came across as unprofessional but people complaining that today's news isn't what they ordered can wear a woman down."

Fair enough. I spent five years in journalism (print media) before I shifted careers -- so I can understand the frustration. The negative criticism does tend to outweigh the positive.

I should've worded my response better as well. The complaint was bad enough, but the "zip it" comment irked me, as he was just letting off steam on an Apple-heavy day (on a site where they're not the most popular brand).

KTSnyder

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
"Look at the features panel on the Toms homepage....Maybe the "News" panel wasn't flooded, but Tom's definitely filled itself with core i5 chatter pretty quick."
"I'm an average user who doesn't get to read all of the in-depth features, but does like to catch up on the tech news."

I was referring to the "News" list specifically, because that's where the shorter items are, that some of us have time for. Not everyone can scour the site and read every article -- some of which are quite lengthy.

I can't imagine I'm alone in just checking in once or twice a day for the "News" items. For those of us who fall into that category (which may or may not include you), today was very focused on one brand -- yesterday wasn't. THAT was my point, and that's the last I'm saying about it.

I'm sorry to have bothered you.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
good for apple, pushing the product updates. Ipod touch w/ camera? why? their cameras kinda suck compared to those on mobile phones but i guess its the principal of the thing.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
And as usual - Toms just proves that they are apple fanboys! FFS? Whole news section dominated by old, useless and crap stuff - well done Toms... I am seriously thinking of reading "NEWS" elsewhere...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]caffeinecarl[/nom]Great news about the Classic because with a music collection like mine, you can never have too much storage space. None of the touch models have enough for me.[/citation]
Ah, you poor Jobb's victim... :)))

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tinnerdxp[/nom]And as usual - Toms just proves that they are apple fanboys! FFS? Whole news section dominated by old, useless and crap stuff - well done Toms... I am seriously thinking of reading "NEWS" elsewhere...[/citation]

See ya.

Tom's should provide news about all aspects of the computer hardware business...Apple is a successful hardware vendor that has a very large market share with some of it's components. Why should they not be covered? On the other hand, Tom's Hardware spends too much time talking about tired ass software from Microsoft...throw them out.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mustseehdtv[/nom]No HD Radio tuner? Looks like Apple is letting MS get one up on them with the ZuneHD. Or is it Apple's greed that making them do this? Is it that they want you to tag the FM music, so you can buy a "better" quality version of the song and not have the CD quality one by default?[/citation]

I hope you're not implying that HD Radio is "CD quality", because it isn't. Unfortunately there's nothing "High Definition" about HD Radio at all, and that's not what the "HD" was ever meant to imply (some say "Hybrid Digital", but that's not official). It's more on par with a low to medium-quality MP3 depending on what the station decides to transmit and how good your signal is. The "HD" is all marketing.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'm going to go ahead and +1 the people actually talking about iPods.[/citation]
Shouldn't be too hard to find. Theres only 4 or 5 articles on ipods. And one on Steve Jobs taking the stage for the ipod event. Oh, and of course another for the itunes, the app you just can't get rid of.

bob_vicktor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I am probably going to get it for this, but here goes anyway.

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Instead of blaming Tom's, we should blame Apple. Why the hell does the company hold some kind of special event every month to announce new colors, updates to software no one cares about, etc.. etc..If people would just stop pretending they cared about apple to try to be cool, apple would stop having these events and making these meaningless announcements, and then news outlets would stop reporting on them.The next time Tom's posts a story about a worthless announcement from Apple, find someone with an iPod or iPhone, and just smack them once or twice. Eventually, the world will get the idea and stop shitting themselves everytime Steve Jobs comes out of his hole, sees his shadow, and declares a new iPhone OS patch is in the works.[/citation]

I am a Mac user, and yes I have an iPod. I am actually using the headphones right now to listen to my music in iTunes. I guess that means I am an Apple fanboy who worships Jobs, right? Hmmm.... That is some might fine reasoning you've got there. Spot on!

In fact, I am not. I am just a power computer (hence the visit to Tom's) user who also happens to prefer the Mac OS user-interface, and got an iPod for my birthday.

As for Jobs worshipping, I actually like the 2009 WWDC better because he wasn't there. I think he has definitely helped Apple crawl out of the hole it was in during the 90's (viva la G3!) with some of his ideas, but I think the company has matured enough to survive with out him. That, and I would like to see a couple products from Apple that he doesn't seem to approve on, like a minitower (viva la G4!). Its not that I wish he was gone, its just that I wouldn't miss him.

Now, to get back on the subject of the article, I would get an iPod Touch if I didn't already have a nano. I was sold on its gaming capabilities long before Apple was, and I won't miss the camera. There is a camera on the iPhone because that is expected on most phones nowadays. With picture messaging they are quite handy. A camera on an iPod is actually a little strange in my opinion, but if you think about it starts to make sense. The Nano with a camera makes a good candidate for precisely the reason Jobs advertised it as, a portable video camera like the Flip he spoke of at the news event. You might ask why Apple doesn't just come out with a video camera? Two reasons: One, that wouldn't sell more iPods ;-), and Two, Apple already tried making a standalone digital camera. (emphasis on tried)

Status
Not open for further replies.