Apple, Verizon Working Together on Data Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude846

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Im pretty sure the iphone is still the top cellphone in the market.

Apple is keeping ATT afloat. I know my experience with ATT has pushed me to Verizon, even if I like a phone that doesn't crash (as much).

G

RUNNING SCARED? They are at an all time high,they want MORE Market share. Are you retarded?

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]This is all evidence that Apple is running scared and knows it can't compete on single carrier anymore...[/citation]

As stated above... "running scared" is not the reason. You are blinded by you hatred. Try "expansion." Apple is growing so fast that they must insure that they have their infrastructure in place. And for those who love to bash Apple, go to their web site and look at all of the US jobs they have posted. Not to mention the new training program that will employ 100's of new college grads next year. The American economy is coming back, and Apple just happens to be one of the leaders.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Jack Jones[/nom]RUNNING SCARED? They are at an all time high,they want MORE Market share. Are you retarded?[/citation]

Correction, they want to KEEP their market share. Android is rising so fast as a carrier-agnostic platform and all around more personalized product, that it is cutting into the consumer-level iPhone dominance BIG TIME. The enterprise space that RIM has is now being eaten equally by the iPhone and Android as they improve their features (although both have a long way to go in that regard.)

The only "killer" differentiating feature that the iPhone has right now is facetime, and before too long the next wave of Anrdoid phones will start having front-facing cameras and that distinction will be gone. Apple has to start playing defensively if they want to hold on to the share they have earned; competitive pricing and more carrier selection is the way to do that.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I would think that Verizon had already battle tested their network with all their Android phones considering they seem to push more data per device then ATT. Maybe it's because they are expecting a mass exodus from ATT when they do release the iPhone on a different network.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
AT&T spent their extra money on getting exclusive handset deals with phone makers. Verizon spent their extra money on expanding their 3G infrastructure. There is the difference.

Now, both companies are far from perfect and do a lot of shady things but I'd rather take the increased network capacity and coverage than exclusivity for a handset that will be outdated within a year or two.

Especially for those of us who live in the boonies. Like Wyoming where I live. The whole state is in the boonies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Still anoyed that they got Iphone video calling to work, but where not able to get it to work on older phones that supported it over seas, so until then i will consider US networks not ready for high bandwith :D

G

Android zoomed past Apple in countries where iPhone is available on all the major carriers. It's not only carrier exclusivity harming Apple -- it's all the restrictions and the fact that the iPhone just isn't a modern smartphone.

It lacks open development, Flash, Java, real HTML5 and other internet standards that the competition has. The FaceTime stuff is a clone of video chat from 5 years ago, and is implemented on a whole range of phones (including Sprint's excellent 4G handsets). Apple is hoping that releasing its handset on the #1 US carrier will keep them relevant and save them from slipping underneath the waves.

However, it also poses a downside. Lots of users will realize that a great deal of the iPhone's problems -- poor signal retention, dropped calls, slow data speed, crashes and poor performance -- are a result of Apple's bad engineering and not AT&T's network as has been argued in the past.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
The ironic thing with this is Windows Phone 7, having the least market share, will probably have less malicious software than iOS and will stake claim to what Apple has for years on their desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.