Apple Wanted to Buy Bungie, But Was Too Late

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Miss out on a conzolized shooter, how can that be a loss? Really, for once i feel happy for the Mac users for their "loss"

If they produced REAL shooters who didn't were designed for a console in mind (autoaim, not alot happening,requiring you to point the mouse within 30 secs and shoot to win) i would be sad... now im not!

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
So, he was mad that MS bought them, but he said no to buying them and a week later changed his mind? He should only be pissed at himself for saying no the first time.

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I'm glad Microsoft took this game. They steered Bungie in a great direction and helped standardize first person shooters on the console. Without Microsoft's acquisition of Bungie, games like Modern Warfare, Bad Company, or even Resistance would not be as good as they are today. Microsoft's acquisition forced Bungie to convert Halo from an RTS to a FPS.

It's a well known fact that Microsoft shared the method they used to make Halo's controls playable for the Xbox. Dev's haven't reinvented the wheel since. They have no reason to. Bungie/MSFT had found a good balance between auto-aim and manual control as well as a good button layout.

Also, things like being limited to two weapons and melee being useful. Were made popular by this fantastic series. Microsoft was the best thing that ever happened to Bungie.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't really understand, Halo is sort of a flagship game for the XBOX console, so that leaves the question... What would Apple have done with Bungie if they don't have a console like XBOX?

I'm glad that it ended up the way it did, Halo is such a great game/title and i believe without Microsoft, it wouldn't have been such a success.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This time it was steve who had to say he was the first to get the offer, thats why he wrote it again. Likely to get a salery raise from Steve who seem to own this site nowadays

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]you wrote a similar article yesterday marcus -_-[/citation]

It's a follow-up article now that more information is available. Sheesh give it a break, or write your own articles...

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
the Xbox might have never taken off, mac would be the new gaming platform, but jobs only has himself to blame after turning bungie down.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
unfortunately, if not for Microsoft, Halo would have been a Starcraft RTS rip-off instead of the FPS we love today... Steve Jobs would only requested Bungie to put iMacs into the game

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]It's a follow-up article now that more information is available. Sheesh give it a break, or write your own articles...[/citation]
lol me write an article? i would but... i have homework

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
So, that was all the fuss was about. It is business stevie. You don't act timely, you lose opportunities. I wonder what Bunjie would have been making had it been taken over by Apple.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]uronacid[/nom]I'm glad Microsoft took this game. They steered Bungie in a great direction and helped standardize first person shooters on the console. Without Microsoft's acquisition of Bungie, games like Modern Warfare, Bad Company, or even Resistance would not be as good as they are today. Microsoft's acquisition forced Bungie to convert Halo from an RTS to a FPS.It's a well known fact that Microsoft shared the method they used to make Halo's controls playable for the Xbox. Dev's haven't reinvented the wheel since. They have no reason to. Bungie/MSFT had found a good balance between auto-aim and manual control as well as a good button layout.Also, things like being limited to two weapons and melee being useful. Were made popular by this fantastic series. Microsoft was the best thing that ever happened to Bungie.[/citation]

i have to correct you, or who else will.

if you want to do this, than lets go. the first fps to get it right was golden eye, and perfected by perfect dark wich worked VERY well with that consoles limitations.

i also hear good things about timespliters, a good game with fantastic controls.

now back to golden eye, i believe one button layout was c buttons to move and analog souly to aim, an evolution of that would be one analog to move and one analog to aim

and the reason that it hasnt had a good going yet would be because how could you make it better with only a controller? well i have an idea.

as anyone played metroid prime on the wii knows, you almost cant improve the combat, but i know how.

a wii mote or a move, with an analog stick, and a numbchuck with a stick, that handles movement and moving the screen, and the opticals determine where on screen you are pointing. this setup could be the best way to experiance a fps, the control of a mote, and the movement of sticks, it would rival, and for some people surpass what is possible with the keyboard mouse combo.

but this wont happen this gen because the motes are all made for casual games exclusively.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The only difference between a MS owned Bungie and an Apple owned Bungie is that Halo would have been labelled as 'revolutionary and magical' under Apples dictatorship *ahem* i mean guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.