Apple Wants Engineers for iPhone Antenna Design

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So funny, the Nexus One has the same issues, yet no one even thinks about it. But hell, welcome to the stupid have no real reason other than flaming at apple makes you cool site. If Apple does something wrong it's because they are stupid, when they do something better than the competition it doesn't matter. Apple is overpriced, and yet, the Iphone 4 is just a tad less expensive than other Android phones. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetre [...] lems/14081[/citation]

Could be because all apple does is put out a product. It turns out to be faulty. So apple deletes the negative comments from their forums, Says nothing is wrong, and tries to sell you a $30 rubber band to fix it. Same with the nvidia gpus they used a couple years ago, how long did they deny that?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Android/Google don't pretend to be wonderful and that all their products are far better than the others. If apple stopped being so damn smug and above it all, maybe they wouldn't be the main target.[/citation]
[citation][nom]gregor[/nom]Apple is less expensive than an android phone?SIM free (how I usually buy my phones):iPhone 4 32gb - http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=200795HTC Desire - http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=196001According to that site the iPhone is £250+ more expensive than the desire...[/citation]

Dude, did you seriously just say what I think you just said. By your above statement your saying that Google/Android and it's manufacturers don't think they have they absolute best solution for your dollar but Apple does so that is why they are a flame target. Are you serious bro?

Bottom line, every company, even the ones that build complete peices of shits beleives that they have the best phone and will give off reasons why they feel it is the best. It is called marketing.

This site constantly flames all things Apple and offers very little if any real factual reasons why. I have been a Toms Hardware reader for a while and have always been a PC guy but I uses Apples products as well. One thing above all else that Apple does well in their stuff is that they are very thoughtfull in their designs. There is allot of R&D and attention to very small things. That is why people like them so much. It isn't that they are drastically better then everyone else. Their designs are just more thoughtfull and a good bit more polished. As an engineer myself, I can respect and appreciate that. Does that mean that Everything else sucks, no by no means. Google did a good job with Andriod and HTC and Motorola are doing good jobs using the platform. Quick, responsive software. It is just a matter of what are you looking for in a phone or "smartphone".

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
"There is allot of R&D and attention to very small things.... Their designs are just more thoughtfull and a good bit more polished."

So.... how'd they miss such a major thing?

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
First of all they NEED new talent with a touch of old timer know how and skill or at least the mind for the job even if it is rough around the edges. Second they need to build for quality and not just looks. The screen needs to be protected so it can survive normal use and occasional drops. Every one drops their phone once and a while. The back needs to be all metal and that can serve as part of the antenna while at the same time as a durable shell as well cooler for the battery and cpu. They should try for something that is slightly larger than previous models or down clock the cpu. The internal storage can be improved by either servicing a larger board or larger Nand flash cells. Over all it wont be cheap or just revert back to previous designs.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Dude, did you seriously just say what I think you just said. By your above statement your saying that Google/Android and it's manufacturers don't think they have they absolute best solution for your dollar but Apple does so that is why they are a flame target. Are you serious bro?Bottom line, every company, even the ones that build complete peices of shits beleives that they have the best phone and will give off reasons why they feel it is the best. It is called marketing.This site constantly flames all things Apple and offers very little if any real factual reasons why. I have been a Toms Hardware reader for a while and have always been a PC guy but I uses Apples products as well. One thing above all else that Apple does well in their stuff is that they are very thoughtfull in their designs. There is allot of R&D and attention to very small things. That is why people like them so much. It isn't that they are drastically better then everyone else. Their designs are just more thoughtfull and a good bit more polished. As an engineer myself, I can respect and appreciate that. Does that mean that Everything else sucks, no by no means. Google did a good job with Andriod and HTC and Motorola are doing good jobs using the platform. Quick, responsive software. It is just a matter of what are you looking for in a phone or "smartphone".[/citation]

I think you need correction;
Marketing and lying are different. Apple lied to us. The other companies just try to make it seem a little less tame.

Stop trying to sound like you're somehow more knowledgeable, and condescending.

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
What about the current iPhone 4 customers? Do they need to buy a new iPhone w/ fixed antenna coming from the newly hired Engineers? Or those new Engineers are for the "current" problem...

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Welcome to three weeks ago.

This news was posted three weeks ago and it was explained that these new job postings have to do with the iPad and not the iPhone antenna.
iPhone engineers jobs were posted sometime in January of this year... I think...

NikTorious

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]wing2010[/nom]What about the current iPhone 4 customers? Do they need to buy a new iPhone w/ fixed antenna coming from the newly hired Engineers? Or those new Engineers are for the "current" problem...[/citation] They should be angry at Apple...this issue is only going to lose Apple customers.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]I think you need correction;Marketing and lying are different. Apple lied to us. The other companies just try to make it seem a little less tame.Stop trying to sound like you're somehow more knowledgeable, and condescending.[/citation]Stop telling other people what to do. You know, because you know better.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I'm Apple will somehow sell the next iPhone fix for a $50.00 premium on top of existing phone models. lol

iPhone 4: $200.00
iPhone 4 with "iAntenna" technology (plastic coating): $250.00

They'll probably market their "opps" for profit. lol

G

and if it doesn't work...
apple can charge everyone for an update that restores the fake signal strength bars.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]NikTorious[/nom]One word for you, 'Android'.[/citation]
Android is really no better. I have an Android phone and it may offer more customizations then the iPhone for sure, but what good is all that freedom when you have to constantly charge the thing? I know iPhone has its problems, but if you claim Android has all the answers you're just as sheepish as the Apple fanboys. Instead of adding all of these new feature why can't someone first figure out how to make the battery last longer then 12 hours.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]nonxcarbonx[/nom]Other sources have stated that the job listings were up before the iphone 4 problems became apparent. Correlation vs. Causation I suppose.[/citation]

If there's no connection at all, there's neither correlation nor causation...

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
lol the antenna is as big as Steeve Jobs weewee....

That's why there is reception is soo bad...

Now the truth is out there.
BTW that when someone has to say it : A little too late....
This should have been fix BEFORE it get on the shelves....
Who has market the iPhone : an idiot

vinehoyle

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I don't know if Foxconn is blameless or not, though they solely manufacture the Iphone. But if you look at Newegg.com products listing for Foxconn, they tend to get horrible ratings usually...don't work, quits after a week, month, few months ect...but this not entirely relevant. The Iphone is made to Apples specs. But Foxconn does raise a few issues. Is the Iphone made using Foxconn suppliers, and I remind all that they do get bad ratings for their products mostly, or does Foxconn assemble said Iphone with Apple approved suppliers? Perhaps there's a good question to be answered? But no matter where the parts come from, it's ultimately Apples problem to remedy. It blows my mind that peeps would buy a rubber band from apple to fix what is clearly a faulty product. The Gov. should step in and order Apple to fix it FOC. Prolly would help if congress called Jobs in to testify about why it knowingly is charging it's customers to fix what they know is a problem. If I was an Apple user i'd be utterly outraged by this conduct. But if you value style over functioning phone, then by all means, buy an Iphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.