Apple Wants Engineers for iPhone Antenna Design

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
You can just simply buy a $30 dollar "Apple High Tech Rubberized Frequency Switching Device"..but after all, its only just a feature.

surfindave007

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
[citation][nom]eeide[/nom]Android is really no better. I have an Android phone and it may offer more customizations then the iPhone for sure, but what good is all that freedom when you have to constantly charge the thing? I know iPhone has its problems, but if you claim Android has all the answers you're just as sheepish as the Apple fanboys. Instead of adding all of these new feature why can't someone first figure out how to make the battery last longer then 12 hours.[/citation]

Android is an OS, a piece of software, it should have very little to do with how long the battery lasts on your smart phone due to the design of the hardware and the amount of power it draws. Besides this glaring fact, this thread is about a posting on the "Jobs at Apple" site for Antenna Engineers. Now if this post did in fact happen shortly before the launch of the IP4 then its a particularly ironic point that their newest phone is having reception problems due to human based antenna attenuation not some metering bar problem based on incorrect Dbm readings. Oh and for you Apple fan boys crying about Toms' posting of Apple related mistakes; if it wasn't for Apple snobs running around claiming how perfect your Apple products are you wouldn't have the problem with people pointing out your weaknesses when they appear.

G

Software has more control over power consumption in a mobile device than hardware. One poorly written app can drain a battery very fast.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Antena eng.? why? its a human problem, they should get some genetician guys :) or additional marketing guys...
or maybe its the first time they think about "ho you know what, maybe we need some guys to design our product, not only marketing persons" :)

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So funny, the Nexus One has the same issues, yet no one even thinks about it. But hell, welcome to the stupid have no real reason other than flaming at apple makes you cool site. If Apple does something wrong it's because they are stupid, when they do something better than the competition it doesn't matter. Apple is overpriced, and yet, the Iphone 4 is just a tad less expensive than other Android phones. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetre [...] lems/14081[/citation]
Yeah, everyone is out to get Apple... Right! That's why when one of the 1,000,000 program or so don't work right in a new version of Windows it's Microsoft's fault. But when it is the other way around (software not working right on Apple) it is a problem with the buggy software. You Apple fans kill me. Oh, and I do own an iPhone 3GS. I just call it like it is.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So funny, the Nexus One has the same issues, yet no one even thinks about it. [/citation]

Obviously it was reported or you wouldn't have known about it. The signal loss on this particular phone is greater than other phones. It's a well known fact that people interfere with radio signals so holding the phone will hurt the signal, however touching the antenna directly due to this iphone design kills the signal more than normal, 19.8db compared to ~10db.

Not to mention Apple's marketing campaign claims that nothing ever goes wrong with their products, which will obviously incite more of a response.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The first job for the 'lucky' person to get that post would be an antenna that allows Jobs' silly head to work and all the reception problems will be solved automatically.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Smochina :

So funny, the Nexus One has the same issues, yet no one even thinks about it.'

Absolutely right Smochina. Very few people have read about those issues in comparison with the IPhone issue, because it isn't as big news because it isn't as popular a phone, so people forget that pretty much every phone on the market has flaws.

Obviously every company claims there are no faults with their products - so they should be judged by the same standards.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wing2010[/nom]What about the current iPhone 4 customers? Do they need to buy a new iPhone w/ fixed antenna coming from the newly hired Engineers? Or those new Engineers are for the "current" problem...[/citation]

[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]I think you need correction;Marketing and lying are different. Apple lied to us. The other companies just try to make it seem a little less tame.Stop trying to sound like you're somehow more knowledgeable, and condescending.[/citation]

No one is trying to seem more knowledgeable or condescending so let me first apologize if my post came across that way but to imply other companies do not do the exact same thing is absolutely ridicules. What I said was common sense and does not have a bias. Both are great devices for different reasons. Apple does a great job at marketing between commercials, store presentations and everything. Nevermind that damn near everyone has or has had a IPod. There is a reason why they retain the customers the way they do and it is not because they make crap.

Apple lied about what exactly? They have features, they marketed their features, they feel like their total solution is the best and people responded by purchasing their devices.

Google did the same exact thing with Driod and as a result every freaken device with Android on it for the most part did well.

Bottom line is that no one markets their flaws, Google did not say anything about the fact that APPs have such a level of access to the OS that they are considered Rootkits. No organization would allow that phone to be used on their network with that kind of vulnerability. But that news came and went quietly and Google may or may not address the issue.

Everything has flaws, with the kinds of budgets that go into marketing stuff like this they are looking to draw you in and not scare you off.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hardware guy[/nom]Software has more control over power consumption in a mobile device than hardware. One poorly written app can drain a battery very fast.[/citation]

Exactly Right!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]LeJay[/nom]If there's no connection at all, there's neither correlation nor causation...[/citation]
[citation][nom]eeide[/nom]Android is really no better. I have an Android phone and it may offer more customizations then the iPhone for sure, but what good is all that freedom when you have to constantly charge the thing? I know iPhone has its problems, but if you claim Android has all the answers you're just as sheepish as the Apple fanboys. Instead of adding all of these new feature why can't someone first figure out how to make the battery last longer then 12 hours.[/citation]

Exactly

your comment about instead of adding features figuring out batter life issue say pretty much Blackberry. Their devices are known for great battery life but are not nearly as media rich and as feature rich.

There is no one size fits all solution for this kind of stuff.

Having said that, your battery benchmark depends the criteria. Bluetooth enabled or not, talk time or idle time. I can say for a fact cause I noticed it on my IPhone 4 vs the 3G that the IPhone 4 with some use throughout the day with no Bluetooth easily gets past 12 hours. The battery life is great. With Bluetooth that is cut in half so that make a huge difference. It has better battery life than my Blackberry now. The Blackberry takes a huge hit with Bluetooth as well.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@ap3x You said: "Apple lied about what exactly? They have features, they marketed their features, they feel like their total solution is the best and people responded by purchasing their devices."

True, their marketing is great but I think what people are referring to when they say Apple lied is their "I'm a Mac" commercials in which they tout PCs and Windows as being hugely problematic, featureless, complicated an full of viruses while saying their own products are more secure, easier to use, have more features and nothing ever goes wrong. "It just works."

It's one thing to market your own stuff and even exaggerate a little (and of course not market the flaws) but to go all out on the competition the way they did in those commercials was outright lying. If I remember right they even had the PC guy playing with jumpers and IRQs when trying to install a piece of hardware. You haven't had to do that on a PC in like 10 years and installing a piece of hardware in a Mac requires the same know-how.

Another example is the commercials claim Windows crashes ALL the time. Mine doesn't, and neither do any of the computers I built unless they have a hardware problem that needs fixing. Hardware problems can afflict Macs as well so saying that it only affects PCs is just lying. They can easily market what they have and what they are without completely lying about the competition.

Personally I have never liked companies who employ marketing campaigns that directly attack the competition. If you really have quality products, you can advertise that just as well without mentioning anyone else.

I can't really speak for the other guy but I think that's what he was talking about.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
So... the real reason for your anti-apple inferiority complex is now clear.

' but to go all out on the competition the way they did in those commercials was outright lying'

If their commercials were outright lying, the advertising standards agency would have prevented the advert being shown. There are tough regulations in both the UK and the USA to ensure that adverts are, in fact, true. So don't live in denial.

'Another example is the commercials claim Windows crashes ALL the time. Mine doesn't, and neither do any of the computers I built unless they have a hardware problem that needs fixing'

You think your own EXTREMELY LIMITED experiences mean anything compared to the GLOBAL data which proves that Windows crashes more often?

'They can easily market what they have and what they are without completely lying about the competition.'

They can do whatever they like, actually, so long as it complies with the relevant laws - for example it has to be TRUE. Why do you think you have the right to criticise a company for pointing out how they are BETTER than the competition? Beyond idiotic. Clearly those adverts hit a nerve?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@watcha More trolling from the fanboy watcha I see, I was wondering when you were going to post in this article. We all know you only read Apple articles so you can attack anyone who might imply Apple is not perfect.

GLOBAL data showing Windows crashes more? Sigh. Just another fanboy comment. I would absolutely hope Windows crashes more. If OSX crashed more on the EXTREMELY narrow hardware range it runs on, I would be very worried about the quality of OSX indeed.

THE POINT, which you ALWAYS COMPLETELY MISS for the sake of arguing is that Apple's commercials don't say it crashes more, they say it's guaranteed to crash and theirs will NEVER crash. Those are two incorrect extremes and thus just plain lies. Many people see and realize this when they watch those adverts. (Basically anyone with a Mac that crashes all the time and anyone with a PC/Windows that never crashes.)

That is nothing like marketing theirs as better, they're marketing lies and exaggerations, which was the point to my comment and an attempt to explain what the previous poster was talking about.

I realize you want to believe that your Apple purchases were not in vein (yes, you did purchase apple products, don't lie) but in the end, the GLOBAL data shows that more people prefer Windows and PCs to Apple.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'GLOBAL data showing Windows crashes more? Sigh. Just another fanboy comment. I would absolutely hope Windows crashes more. If OSX crashed more on the EXTREMELY narrow hardware range it runs on, I would be very worried about the quality of OSX indeed. '

So, by attempting to disagree, you are actually agreeing that Windows DOES, in fact crash more. ;-)

'Apple's commercials don't say it crashes more, they say it's guaranteed to crash and theirs will NEVER crash'

No, they don't. Simple, clear-cut lie. IF it said they NEVER crash, it wouldn't get past advertising standards.

'Those are two incorrect extremes and thus just plain lies'

See above.

'That is nothing like marketing theirs as better, they're marketing lies and exaggerations, which was the point to my comment and an attempt to explain what the previous poster was talking about'

See above - note the comment about advertising standards and the FACT that no advert is allowed to broadcast lies.

'I realize you want to believe that your Apple purchases were not in vein (yes, you did purchase apple products, don't lie) but in the end, the GLOBAL data shows that more people prefer Windows and PCs to Apple.'

Firstly - I still don't own any Apple products, you anti-apple insecurity-complex fan boy. As for the 'global' data showing that more people prefer Windows to Apple - I agree. Precisely my point about the iPhone too. So if we're going to judge on numbers now, then you totally destroy any negative comment you've ever made about the iPhone. I don't need to make the obvious comments that Apple markets its products to a more exclusive customer, producing higher quality products for more cost - thus clearly not appealing to people 'with tight purse strings' - because if you really play the 'volume' number you've already lost every other discussion.

So, you agree that OSC Crashes less, and you deny the FACT that no advert can say anything untrue, and then try to claim Windows is better because it's more popular?

EPIC, EPIC FAIL ;-)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@watcha

Just because you saw it on TV, doesn't mean it's true. To think so even more laughable than the rest of your post.

Advertisements get away with such things all the time. There is simply no way to catch them all. Just because some of them don't get away with it, doesn't mean they all get caught. Sometimes it's a gray area, sometimes nobody cares, sometimes there's no proof either way, who can say the reasons.

Here's an example of false advertising that gets away with it every day. Razor blades. I know that you are still too young to shave but here's the advert: The more blades (3, 4, 5, I think they're even up to 6) the less irritation is caused. They ignore the fact that 1 blade swiped 5 times is the same as swiping 5 blades 1 time. It's a lie to get you to buy and it works and they get away with it.

Now, I can't wait to see what you come up with to argue the fact that 5 blades at once causes less irritation and it must be true because it's on TV. Too funny.

Again, the rest of your post is nothing but flawed and argumentative trolling, undeserving of any response.

Oh, and yes you do own Apple products. Lots of them. Stop denying it, you can come out of the closet. It's ok.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Just because you saw it on TV, doesn't mean it's true. To think so even more laughable than the rest of your post.'

Actually, due to the regulations of adverts, seeing something on an advert DOES MEAN IT'S TRUE, in the opinion of the advertising authority. That's PRECISELY what it means.

'Advertisements get away with such things all the time. There is simply no way to catch them all. Just because some of them don't get away with it, doesn't mean they all get caught. Sometimes it's a gray area, sometimes nobody cares, sometimes there's no proof either way, who can say the reasons. '

What a JOKE. If Apple had made ANY STATEMENTS regarding Microsoft which weren't true in an advert, Apple-Haters such as yourself, and Microsoft itself would have been ALL OVER IT LIKE A RASH. You think Microsoft would just sit back and allow an advert to be shown which displays lies, knowing that they have an easy way to get it taken off air? OF COURSE NOT.

'Sometimes it's a gray area, sometimes nobody cares, sometimes there's no proof either way, who can say the reasons.'

Sorry, again, you get it completely wrong. If something is a 'grey area', then how can it be a lie? Moreover, if something IS IN DOUBT, AND NOT PROVABLE, then AGAIN it cannot be presented as a fact.

'I know that you are still too young to shave '

Bless, you're being so totally destroyed on all fronts you think it must be the kids again. Trust me, it isn't just kids who can out-debate you, LOL. (@angrycryinginsults.com)

To answer your shaving question (which I was not an expert on but became evidently more of an expert than you with a simple google search):

1 - Gilette and various other companies who make this claim had to present evidence to validate their claim to the advertising authorities - which they did to their satisfaction.
2 - Your ignorance in thinking swiping 5 blades is the same as swiping 5 blades one time, is LAUGABLE: for example:

'For a close shave (which will also be smooth and long-lasting), you need only to cut the hair below the skin's surface. This isn't violent. The razor doesn't dig into the skin. Rather, many multiblade razors use this technique to shave closer than a single blade. Here's how: The first blade is blunt. It hooks the hair above the surface. As you push the razor, the blade pulls the hair forward and up. The next blade is sharp, and it comes behind and slices the hair. The hair finally retracts into the follicle, below the surface.

Five blades cut closer than two do. It's because the catching-and-cutting process repeats twice: The first blade catches, the next cuts, the third catches and the fourth cuts. (We're not sure what the fifth blade does.) After this multi-pronged attack, the hair retracts even farther'

NOT only does that mean that there IS IN FACT a HUGE difference in terms of closeness of shave, it ALSO means that to achieve a BETTER SHAVE, you can use FEWER STROKES. It ALSO means that because you have a closer shave, you don't need to go over the are again, and you need to SHAVE LESS OFTEN, which again would be fewer strokes. Since irritation has been scientifically demonstrated to be directly proportional to the contact points you make with your face, CLEARLY more contact is made when you swipe a razor 5 times, than just once.

'Now, I can't wait to see what you come up with to argue the fact that 5 blades at once causes less irritation and it must be true because it's on TV. Too funny.'

WOW, you must be psychic? You mean you ANTICIPATED that I would prove your point wrong? That sounds TOO FUNNY to me, LMFAO!

Ironically, that's exactly what Gillette had to do to get the advert past. They had to present their evidence and satisfy the advertising standards that fewer strokes does in fact cause less irritation. That they did. If you believe it to be factually incorrect, you need to find YOUR OWN evidence proving that the multiple blades DON'T help (and not some logically flawed argument that it's the same as a single blade swiping 5 times, a statement which is so dumb, simplistic and naive it's beyond belief). You then need to report them to the advertising standards agency in your country at which point they will correct you.

'Again, the rest of your post is nothing but flawed and argumentative trolling, undeserving of any response.'

That looks like flawed trolling to me. I know what, I'll respond by saying it's undeserving of any response. LMFAO!

'Oh, and yes you do own Apple products. Lots of them. Stop denying it, you can come out of the closet. It's ok.'

LOL, look how many issues you have. You assume that just because someone applies logic, that they must own Apple products? LOL.

Look, we all know you decided to save on the pennies by buying a different phone instead of the IPhone4, and you'd DESPERATELY like to believe it's as good (despite all the reviews saying that it isn't), because maybe on paper X and Y are good. You probably don't like seeing people using Apple products either, so didn't want to be one of them. You know, successful, educated people.

But still, you don't have to be constantly insecure about it by trying to put Apple down all the time. It just makes you look desperately insecure and unable to look at facts in an impartial way. In fact, you're so blinded, you accuse someone 100% impartial of being an Apple fan-boy, just because they force you to open your eyes to the reality.

Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.