Apple Wants to Identify Users By Their Heartbeat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
That would never happen. All cellular phones must, at all times(aside from mechanical failures and/or absent electrical current) be capable of dialing 911. Even on phones that are nor registered on a network or are missing a SIM card, and/or are locked, they are able to contact the local 911 center. Current iPhones have an option, even when locked, to contact emergency services. You can also accept calls on a locked iPhone.

Sorry, I should have said an emergency number. 911 is not a universal concept. There are still a lot of places that have to dial a 7 or 10 digit number for emergency. This can be overcome by speed dial, but not if your locked out. So this means that 911 must always be available and 1 speed dial as well.

This is getting needlessly messy, biometrics does not work for the average person. Use a thumb print, fine I'll cut your thumb off, make it so that the device needs a heartbeat, and I'll just smack you into lala land and then use your thumb. Biometrics just doesn't work.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
now let me get this straight...

Apple is trying to peg a certain pattern based on biorhythm that's totally random depending on that particular circumstance?

if they said maybe unique body odor, then I MIGHT be fascinated but heartbeat does not have pattern and changes moment by moment...

good luck though...you're gonna have LOTS of people getting locked out of their device and have to manually unlock by old fashion way....

pyroghozt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I don't know if I have enough energy today to troll this crap. But this just seems like another attention seeking publicity stunt worthy of much flame and trolling.

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Well... it can be handy if the iPhone can call 911 automaticly when its owner's heartbeat stops or shows sign of having heart attack, ... or abnormal vibration....

other than that... I am no interested..

G

Great another patent for apple to go trolling around with...

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom]So if I have to dial 911 because my heart rate is up/down/stopped and a ton of adrenalin is pumping through me due to an incident/accident, the phone can take all of this into account and not lock me out??[/citation]
no..it auto dials 911, while it plays some death metal in the background

captainnochords

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
It says heartBEAT not heart rate... I don't know how this would work but it definitely can't be heart rate as it's too variable. Either way, I'm not comfortable with the idea of Big Brother taking a peep at my internal organs. Especially if this technology were integrated into something that could then share the information with others like, I don't know, perhaps some sort of communication device?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]Sooooo.... If you've just been jogging or having sex, then no phone for you. [/citation]

Why would you wanna use your phone when jogging or having sex anyway? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.