Apple Wants to Identify Users By Their Heartbeat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom]So if I have to dial 911 because my heart rate is up/down/stopped and a ton of adrenalin is pumping through me due to an incident/accident, the phone can take all of this into account and not lock me out??[/citation]
My phone, even when locked, can dial to 911. I can also program a couple numbers that can be accessed when it's locked (such as, 'call this number if found' etc.).
My phone cost me $70 off contact.

May be nice for those with unique heart beats to have a ninja like way to lock their phones (people with messed up hearts as myself).

I can't see this being any use though I just imagine someone got the idea, and patended it before anyone else could, regardless of whether or not it'd ever be used (as most patents).

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I really can't believe the level of Apple hate on this website. It seems to me the main use for this technology is for the auto-generation of playlists by your "mood". That is something they can probably do right now and have it work. If you are relaxed and have a low heartbeat play something light, heart racing play something fast and hard.

Just like people want random playlists from online streaming sites and so forth. If any company other than Apple released this kind of random playlist method everyone would be saying "F'n bout time! I've been wanting something like this". But it is Apple so everyone has to go the other way with it.

The other part, concerning the security aspect is just something they are working on for down the road or may never pan out in the end. They are just patenting the concept now before they invest time and money into it. Just like any smart company would do these days with all the patent lawsuits flying around. No company should ever invest one cent in anything anymore without patenting the concept first to protect their stockholders. Just the way of things today.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Why do I even post here sometimes with all the Apple haters aka MS fanboys and trolls?
I just received a new Macbook Pro a couple of days ago thanks to my cat knocking my drink over on my last laptop while it was running. I was using Ubuntu (for 2 years) and still respect and enjoy Linux. But to come back to OS X and how refined the OS and hardware is, well it is a breath of fresh air, air you MS fanboys will probably never know.
I do miss Ubuntu though and plan on dual booting my gaming rig with it and work with WINE to see what I can do with it. With STEAM now supporting OS X and Open GL I see the light for Linux gaming. Maybe one day I can drop the NSA co-authored Windows completely.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jldevoy[/nom]Will it phone a doctor for me if my heart beat goes irregular?[/citation]

No. Once you develop an arrhythmia, your phone will most likely lock you out from calling your doctor, because it will assume that you are a different person. Arrhythmias change the pulse characteristics as well as the electrical waveform characteristics that are generated by the heart's atrial and ventricular nodes. Heart arrhythmias are common in persons having a heart attack. Furthermore, if you fall ill or are injured and someone comes to your aid, they won't be able to use your phone to call for help if they need to. Clearly, someone at Apple hasn't thoroughly thought this through.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
An excellent marketing strategy I must say - win the "hearts"
of the people. Invasive, but we are too ignorant and cowardly to do anything about it. I should be analyzing the phone's hardware, it should not be analyzing mine.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Sounds like a gimmick. Wouldn't fingerprint or voice technology be more convenient and better to put on an iphone for security?

G

This would work REALLY well after a night on the tiles when you've been drinking nothing but vodkas and red bulls... Imagine trying to call a taxi then! Even a quick smoke can change the heart rate temporarily.

If they are so serious about biometric identification why not go with more proven methods like finger prints and retinal scans?

This is crazy.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I don't even know where to begin...honestly. This is one of the most retarded things Apple has shat out of its patent-obsessing self. I can't believe this. Respect for apple is going down and down by the minute...from the negatives it was already at. I'm sorry I just really don't like this idea.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What if you're calling one of those after-hours numbers to talk to "hot girls?" During the call, your heart rate jumps up. One hand is holding your phone and the other...well, that's pretty obvious. Does it shut off? Does it automatically go into vibrate mode?

blll_gates

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Jobs says its a revolutionary, magical device that will change the way we think about heartbeats. The starting price will be $2,100 for the Wi-Fi version and the 3g version at $3,000. They will have an improved version every year. Apple will reserve the right to kill you with a killswitch built into the device, including the ability to operate said killswitch in an event that anyone loses a leaked prototype. All Apple fanboys will rejoice and millions will be sold.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Ok I love when manufacturers get innovative but this is ridiculous. What next? GPS tracking so if you travel farther than usual the phone will explode? Common apple, you get sued enough already...Im glad I own a Nokia N97...at least it doesn't probe me o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.