Apple Watch Doubters Wrong: You Need a Smartwatch Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
if it has a phone home function and a gps then they can keep it.
im sick of companies taking liberties with my privacy, which is a right.
yet all these companies insist i must give it up to use there products.
nah sorry my privacy is worth more to me than a gadget that can tell me i got an email.

AndyjTom

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015
Turning on your phone to see if there is something you might have missed is "exactly" the reason why Apple is stupid for not adding a NOTIFICATION LIGHT to its iphones.. I glance at my Samsung S4 but don't need to ever turn it on UNLESS I see the Notification light on.. Pretty dam simple really --- No need for a $500+ watch..

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Smartwatches ARE useful. I have two.

Mine answers calls whilst on the motorcycle in traffic, so I can check if it is important.

And the GPS function tracks my running, syncs to my phone, giving me a nice history read of of path, distance, calories, time, etc.

It also serves to control the A/C remotely, when I mis-place the normal remote control.

If you don't like smartwatches - that is fine, but don't hate. If you want to hate on something, hate on Apple's lack of functions on their smartwatch, and the price of it.

delaro

Distinguished
No we don't "Need" another overinflated Apple device. I suppose these are great for people that are Addicted to constantly messing around with there phone but for the rest of us, where a phone is a phone and not a way of life this is just another over priced money sink that will sit in the bottom of the electronics draw in a year. If I wanted a watch I definitely don't want to have to charge the thing every day or even more depending on the use.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
To me it never really stands a chance at gaining traction for 1 very important factor.
The Battery.
A watch does not take a lot of electricity to function. On the other hand an LED based device with a computer chip will need some form of power. Due to the relative size limitations of such a device, the battery itself will be small. This will amount to really short battery lives when the watch is in use.
The other glaring problem with the battery is heat. The small form factor prevents more robust heat transfer solutions. Even with a smartphone we often feel the heat generated from using it. Do we want to place that heat in constant contact with your wrist?
Sounds cool, but from a marketability and practicality stand-point I think it needs a bit more time.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
When the iPad was announced, I said that it had its uses, but for me, very limited and I would not get much out of it. Currently, I occasionally use my tablet to read or browse the web while in bed, but that's it. Smartwatches I see as even more useless than that, and I will not be getting one for at least 5 years, if ever.

It also takes me no longer to glance at my smartphone than it would to glance a watch, and I'd probably spend more time fiddling and charging the watch. I don't wear watches tight enough for optical heart rate monitoring to work. I can already tap my debit card (with a maximum limit, and could get the same functionality for a credit card if I wanted).

Not like I can't imagine any uses for one, but the tech is just not there yet for me, and I feel these are more fashion, fanboy/-girl, hype -thing, than anything else at this point.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
You forgot to include, How much time and money you will spend when the time comes, battery, or other craps will come out, and needs to be changed...

Grognak

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
You need a $350 gadget because you can't be bothered to reach all the way into your pocket or bag? Might as well strap the phone to your face and use voice commands, that way you won't even have to move!

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If it didn't carry the usual greedy Apple price tag, I could confidently say it's a worthless piece of unnecessary junk. Perhaps 'pointless' piece of unnecessary junk, would be more accurate?

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Once you really boil it down, you're paying $200 - $400 for the convenience of looking at your wrist before looking at your phone. Or not looking at your phone , as the case may be.
It is entirely an indulgence as the one reviewer accurately placed it. And if you're a watch person, are you going to substitute your Citizen or Britling for this little gadget ? I doubt it.

It is in the same realm as a tablet, but not the same ballpark . For the simple reason that right now, tablets have vastly more useful functions than a smart watch .
I'll buy one when it does what Bob's Glitch does in Reboot :)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Nothing like an Apple article to being out the idiots.
Considering that your spell-check is abysmal (if you typed it on an iDevice, that could explain it) and, more importantly, that every comment above yours has made a valid point, I firmly believe you just made your own list with your empty and rude comment.

shadycuz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't read all the comments but most, and all of you are wrong. Apple came up with the smart watch to keep people off their phones. They felt people have gone too far with the time spent on mobile devices. The smart watch is here to get people the info they really need with out all the extras that go along with using your phone.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
First of all, I do not need a smart watch. Second: I don't need anyone telling me what to get or what I need. en lastly, Tom's, how far has this site sunk... it's becoming painfully clear that these articles are purely for sponsorship. It used to be about hardware, and testing hardware, and posting results!

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Coming next: the Crapple brain implant that not only saves you from having to look at your watch or your smart phone, but has incorporated in it a form of gaydar and GPS tracking that automatically detects any intolerant christian merchants and directs (via a neural command) you to buy from slave labor factories in China.

It will cost only a cool $1,000,000.00 for the basic plastic (trailer trash) model and upgrades in titanium, platinum and gold will be available (for the upscale consumer) for a mere $1,000,000,000.00.

Mitchell Feigley

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Instead of glancing at a smart watch, I think most people would prefer something like active display on the Moto X where you can glance at your phone screen without having to press a button. It's kinda like the modern day pocket watch

Andrew Michael

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
As a daily android wear user I can truly say they are quite convenient. Less time holding my phone in my hand or having to pull it out and the voice recognition is surprisingly accurate!

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I will not buy into early tech that has huge limitations. When the watch has its own LTE connection and truly merges with the phone aka a tablet with a phone app; then I might think about it.

Until then, I will let other people dabble with the watch and I will save my money paying off my mortgage early or something. A penny saved is a penny invested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS