Apple Watch Hands-on: Worth the Hype?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
With screen real estate at such an issue with smart watches, I just for the life of me can't understand why the iWatch has such a big bezel. It's not like you ever need to hold it with your hands! It looks literally like the "genius" engineers at Apple loaded the iPhone design in their CAD program and used the resize tool to create this thing.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
$350 for something that is supposed to compliment my phone or tablet is asking way too much money.

You can go out and buy a top end phone or tablet in this price range and it doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before.

You aren't doing a good job at convincing me this is a must have product apple!

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
A watch that has to be charged every day? What a useless turd of a product! Is the battery replaceable by the user? It sure as hell is going to die VERY quickly if it's charged every day. And as for the price... only the usual Apple sheep are going to be stupid enough to flock to the store to buy ones of these heavily flawed gadgets. My wristwatch lasts 2 years on a battery. Many solar models last forever.

Any product that is both very expensive, completely unnecessary, and guaranteed to fail when you need it most is one giant leap backwards for mankind.

Arabian Knight

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
LOL ,

Apple is listing the Golden Watch for $17000 !!!

are they insane ? If I want to pay that Much for a WATCH , I would GO Rolex or Omega.

who do they think they are ? this thing has nothing mechanical in it to ask that price for it , nor looks near a $1000 watch

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006

Precisely. This is a product for those with more money than sense, which sadly seems to be too many people these days.
Make a device with e-ink that pairs via Bluetooth to a smartphone (or other computer, which is what a smartphone is). Other than a simple alarm clock, apps run on the phone, not the watch, so along with the e-ink display, power use is low enough that only monthly charges are needed. Sell it for <$100, and you'll sell millions of them.

Michael Poole

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
Like others have said, the rectangular design was quickly proven to be unpopular with users. The biggest thing I saw was the insane amount of swiping and tapping and rotating a tiny dial. They tried to shove an iPhone in there when all people really want is a notification device with some added app functionality. Google has this almost perfected now. If the majority of functions don't operate with voice commands like Android Wear then your watch is a huge fail.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014

I should have been more clear. Android Watches don't let you take calls from your wrist, although the Tizen-powered Gear watches do.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014

Which watches have evolved beyond it? It's still very early days but based on the dozen or so smartwatches we've reviewed thus far I'd say this is one to beat because of the quality app selection expected, voice functionality and Apple Pay integration. As I said though, there's still plenty of room for competition in the lower end of the market.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Funny, no one seems to notice the design is almost exactly a miniature version of the gen 1 iphone. Same overly rounded corners to hide a fat middle and shiny metal bezels and of course overpriced.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Recommending anything based on anticipated future features is fortune-telling. Based on this, someone like Casio will come out with a device that will blow all these away.

Voice integration? Really? It's bad enough how many people yammer on their phones at inappropriate volume, times, and places. You want to add wristwatches too?
Sorry, this emperor has no clothes.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Old tech is new again. Apple's Watch is way too big and bulky. It looks outdated in every way compared to all of the other smart watches on the market today. Apple is too far behind to catch up. They need to stick with smart phones. This is a huge fail for Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.