Apple Watch vs. Pebble Steel: What Should You Wear?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geolemon

Honorable
Mar 12, 2015
I think this article isn't practical.
Factoring in practicalities-

Style -
The Pebble's screen is able to be always on - unlike the iWatch which would be out of charge after 3 hours if it's screen were on. Having a dead-looking black screen is decidedly even less stylish than even having a square smartwatch.

The iWatch also comes with a rubber strap - compared to the Time's (included) leather band, and the Time Steel's (included) metal band, and leather band, so you can choose. There's a whole range of swappable straps, and that's before we know what smartstraps will be available... AND that's still discounting that it uses standard 42mm watchbands, so you can maybe use a band you already own, if you like.
By contrast, the iWatch bands are proprietary (go figure), and the price is ludicrously prohibitive... the metal ones actually cost MORE than an entire Pebble Time - the leather ones are even $149! That's Looney Tunes crazy. Apple is banking on suckers.

Screen -
Sure, the Pebble isn't a touchscreen, and isn't as high-res... but:
a) is that necessary? Is it even a benefit? The Apple watch has that crown to do the same things as the Time's forward/back buttons - less efficiently.
b) it's also why the Pebble gets 7-10 days of battery life, with the screen displaying the entire time.
The benefit of the technology isn't being considered an advantage for Pebble - and the massive, power-sucking downside of Apple's technology isn't struck as a ding against the Apple watch, though it leaves it with 3-18 hour life on a charge.
To conclude that one watch [that's going to need to be black/off 99% of the time] is "better" than the one that can actually be on all the time, seems incorrect to me.

Apps-
With the list mentioned for Apple (and decidedly the lack of specific mentions for Pebble), it seems that Apple doesn't really know what this watch is supposed to be good for.
By contrast, there's 7000 apps for Pebble - no doubt a bunch of them are fluff or sort of questionable why you'd use those with a watch (like these Apple ones mentioned), but many of the Pebble ones are actually practical.
So I'm glad to see the author credit Pebble for apps, even if he didn't specifically mention the function-over-...whatever Apple is thinking it's doing in this segment.

And really, the ultimate practicality - bang for the buck.

If you want a Pebble Time Steel, $299 gets you a watch and two bands, plus any standard band you may already own or want to buy, and a robust and growing app store.

By contrast, if you want a leather and metal band with your iWatch, you have to buy the $599 version, and then add a $249 metal strap to it... $849!

At an all-in cost of $849 vs $299, there's just no comparison between these two. You could buy all three Pebble Time Steel watches and end up with three different color watches with six bands to swap between them.
Just no comparison - terrible value for the iWatch.

Practicality matters.

geolemon

Honorable
Mar 12, 2015
pebble steel looks antiquated next to apple's watch. but i would purchase neither. my phone can do literally everything better than this watch. i can imagine myself fumbling around on the watch to get something done which would take half the time on a phone.
I don't think "antiquated" is the word you mean...
The Steel actually uses better technology - 64 color e-Ink is something no one has achieved before, and is the key to the thing having a 7-10 day battery life, with the screen displaying the entire time...
...Apple's low-tech, backlit LCD or LED technology is why it would only get 3 hours on a charge, if a user left the screen displaying all the time - so most of the time, from a fashion standpoint, that iWatch will look dead.

The smartstraps and open-source app nature of the Pebble also open options that the entirely-closed, entirely-proprietary nature of the entirely-too-expensive iWatch simply don't have, and will be limitations that developers will be constrained by.
Technology is about breaking free from limitations, to open up possibilities - the iWatch is the antiquated model, with respect to that word.

I think you meant "sleeker". At least the body of the watch,it does look nice, although not as nice as Android Wear offerings today - the iWatch doesn't fare well in the "can this look good with a suit?" test. The Pebble doesn't necessarily either, but I can at least swap straps to dress it up [without spending $149-$249 and being limited to Apple's proprietary offerings], and the gold version of the Pebble doesn't cost a ludicrous $10,000.

Protonus

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
i can imagine myself fumbling around on the watch to get something done which would take half the time on a phone.

That's the brilliance of a properly designed smartwatch like Pebble. It's not trying to replace your phone. The things you do from it, are much, much faster, than taking out your phone, turning it on, opening the app, etc.

Glance at my wrist, I just read a text. Two button presses, I just replied to it, and I go back to what I'm doing. Faster, less distracting, less feeling tied to my phone.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i don't care what people say or what apple says...battery life is very important...pebble all the way...it's a watch and a color epaper display is all you need

Alistair Rose

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
I have Pebble Steel and would replace it straight away if I lost or damaged it.

It compliments your phone rather than competing with it. It is the quickest and most discreet way to read text messages, catch news alerts,reject phone calls (or just check to see who is calling without pulling the phone out of your pocket), and sending a quick reply to text messages (albeit a preset reply). On top of all that you have apps that allow it to be a music remote control, navigation aid, taxi caller, Nest controller, as so on). It works with the simple quick things that are quicker to do with a watch than a phone. Finally, it is great for letting you know that you have left your phone somewhere, and also for making your phone ring when you have lost in somewhere in your house.

I wouldn't want to use a computer for things done quickly on my phone and a I prefer not to use my phone for the things that my Pebble does well.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i'll stick with my timex 'it takes a lickin & keeps on tickin', really, i had my arms dipping in and out of a water barrel the other day cleaning off concrete every hour or so. i also use my watch for lap times while i am swimming every other day. if only it played mp3's while i was swimming i'd be a happy camper.

10basetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
If you compare the Pebble Time Steel to the Apple Watch Collection (stainless steel), then the price difference becomes more dramatic: $250 vs. $550-$1100. For $250 you get both a leather band _and_ a stainless steel band. It's true that the Apple Watch has a prettier display, but so what -- will you be playing games, looking at photos, or watching movies much on your watch? In this respect, the Pebble screen is better suited for the task because it's easier to read in direct sunlight, way more energy efficient, plus the time is always displayed (you know, like on a real watch). The Pebble Time is a practical smartwatch, whereas the Apple Watch is for those who value name brand or style over anything else.

beekayworld

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
The beauty of Pebble's long battery life is I can track both my steps AND my sleep for a full week! (I charge it Sundays during the day). If I have to take a watch off to charge every night, there goes my sleep tracking.

cdzero

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
pebble steel looks antiquated next to apple's watch. but i would purchase neither. my phone can do literally everything better than this watch. i can imagine myself fumbling around on the watch to get something done which would take half the time on a phone.

I got a Pebble Steel and it's already making thing a lot easier for me. I don't think an overly complicated watch with technology beyond this world what got my attention in this case, but the simplicity of having alerts in my wrist that I could see with just a short glimpse and decide if it was worth pulling the phone from my pocket or not. It's beautiful.

Rehrek

Estimable
May 4, 2015
1) One of these watches can be used on iOS and Andriod
2) One one of these watches is recommended to be used when swimming
3) One of these watches is easy to use
4) One of these watches can be easily seen in direct sunlight
5) One of these watches is expandable and versatile
6) One of these watches can have any standard 22mm band put on it
7) One of these watches costs 1/3 or less of what the other one costs (metal to metal)
8) One of these watches sold 2 million dollars worth before if went into production
9) One of these watches is on its 3rd release version

Here's a hint, it's not the Apple watch.

angryshortguy

Estimable
May 11, 2015
I like the look of the Pebble Steel over the Pebble Time Steel.
I've had the Pebble Steel for 4 days now and am impressed.
It does everything I need it to do and love the battery life.
Everything else I own is Apple.
iPhone 6+, Mac Mini, MBP 15, Appletv (2 of them), ipad, ipad mini, but I just didn't like the Apple Watch.
Too many compromises and the price is just more than I want to spend on a smart watch.
Plus, sending my heartbeat to someone is kinda creepy...

frank_w

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
Gotta disagree about the display; what's the use in having a watch that the display is turned off most of the time and you have to actively turn it on to see the time, as you do with the Apple watch?

The pebble's e-ink display is on all the time and can be seen in ambient light or direct sunlight without using the backlight and lasts over a week!

Willie0

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Just for the sake of choosing, I will go with Apple watch compared to Peeble as it comes in a variety of colours. The Moto 3610 is still my best option though.

Mars_tubster

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
The Apple. Neither are remotely necessary so you might as well look good whilst being pointless. To be totally honest, I'm not in love with apple's design either but the pebble is an eyesore

Status
Not open for further replies.