Apple: We Can Collect, Share Your Precise Location

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
i still dont get it why people start shouting at google like mad (skynet sh*t conspiracies) and ignore the poisoned apple (+bitten by microsoft)...if it's DoD use fair enough for me, they wont even share assasination vids as long as their national paranoia is not intruded but i just dont understand apple anymore, everything they offer is indeed bitten, i'd rather get my self punked by my own greed then theirs

i dont know, i liked Jobs way more when he was into the hallucinogenic stuff (looks like he's sniffing lately!)

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
"Apple products may collect your DNA and fingerprints and share them with 3rd party companies, the information will not be used to identify you"

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Just turn it off if you don't want it?It's optional.[/citation]

I have one question: How do you know that it is in fact off when you turn it off in the application settings? nobody has seen the source code for the iPhone OS (the Android is open source), the Turn Of button might be fake.

GearMan

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
thats just another good reason why i got rid of all those types of communication.nobody needs to know that information for any reason.i just dont think BIG BROTHER has my best interest at heart.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Quote : "Apple: We Can Collect, Share Your Precise Location"

For information sharing-amongst-licensees and partners apple says.

But what if you accidentally flushed your iphone down a toilet or dropped it in a sewage drain? Can they pinpoint that too?

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]I have one question: How do you know that it is in fact off when you turn it off in the application settings? nobody has seen the source code for the iPhone OS (the Android is open source), the Turn Of button might be fake.[/citation]

Just because it's open source doesn't mean that manufacturers don't include some proprietary code.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
It's anonymous and opt in. How is this different than google when you type in your zip code and they use that for targeted ads, etc.?

This has been going on for years. I'm not saying I'm in love with the idea, but it's nothing new. There's been a lot of hoopla over nothing.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
... and this is different from any other cell phone how?

This has been around for years, but because Apple comes forward and states it out in the obvious ... suddenly everyone is wearing wool panties? Gimme a break!

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Im sure this'll go fine for about a month, then we'll start hearing people complain about invasions in their privacy. Apple customers are well on their way to being iControlled.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]call of the day+1 for every thumbs up u get[/citation]

Thanks! I guess I play too much TF2 since that quote popped up right in my mind when I read this.
Apple is looking for ways to squeeze money out of customers that don't buy their crappy apps and refuse to upgrade their perfectly good (except for the brand) phones to the latest iCrap.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
" they still can't catch terrorists"- Are you assuming terrorists will sign up with AT&T and use google maps to find their nearest cave retreat? I bet the service in the middle east sucks.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Here comes a new wave of justified paranoia. This is all coming and I am not sure how can we trust any source, opened or closed from accessing our personal data for marketing, sales or politics. What I know and I can trust is my own judgement, my conscience, my nature to ask myself the questions about what I can understand from advertisement. Do your research about a product or person, ask all the questions you need and don't buy or trust compulsively on anything that looks or sounds good.

Still there is not a chip able to read my mind or able change it, so I am safe and in control "here" and Here is where I make any important decision or mistake. My credo is to invest in myself the rest is just a tool. Any hidden intention on big companies will sooner or later be exposed by the same human mistakes we all make.

And garyshome
Its not a matter of the "Apple logo on it" because as hard as you desire there is not a line separating good companies from evil companies, naive thinking. As long as you think you are safe from not buying from this brand you just get more exposed or vulnerable on another front, but you need to buy some sort of technology and you will always be exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.