Apple: What You’re Missing Without an iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll be the first to admit when it comes to aesthetics and uniformity, apple has that down pat.

that said, if anyone wants something "outside the box" they are frowned upon by jobs, apple, and even some loyal customers. this is why android is taking off.

microsoft is losing out in the phone market because quite frankly it has an inferior product to both apple and google. if i could do everything that i can on my android, access an app store just as large and well updated, and if the device was optimized to save power then I would have thought about it.

Even if microsoft loses out in the phone market it still has the pc market base by the cajones.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Not missing anything, But in saying that if your the kind of person who likes simplicity over functionality then the i-stuff is for you.If you want functionality at all, you're pretty much bound to jailbreak which still doesn't do much, in fact some (most) people use it to pirate apps..[/citation]
I would genuinely like to know what is a better alternative to the locked in iPhone as I am in the market for a better phone. Thanks for any genuine advice.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]And who's at fault for Iphone's walled it OS? You moron, when you pirate software, music you are pushing developers towards walled it environments. You know, those people that work their asses off to make applications, to create music, art, books. All those people have families to feed and take care off. So screw you and your 'freedom'.[/citation]

Successful Troll is successful.

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]And who's at fault for Iphone's walled it OS? You moron, when you pirate software, music you are pushing developers towards walled it environments. You know, those people that work their asses off to make applications, to create music, art, books. All those people have families to feed and take care off. So screw you and your 'freedom'.[/citation]

As some of us could appreciate, this is the target audience for this type of advertizing: The Gullible

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]You seem to be the confused one here. If you look at Apple and Microsoft, then you can see what the "open" business model got MS...they are slowly going extinct, while Apple continues to grow and innovate. There is something to be said for keeping a certain business model in place and restricting access to the core components. Once just anyone is allowed to go in and program/do what they want, then they end-up creating products that do not fall in line with the business model. Apple has hundreds of pages of text on just what a Mac interface should look like. Some may criticize this, but when you are selling to the general public you need to produce a product that provides the same look, works in a predictable manner, while at the same time is robust/stable.Calling Apple's attitude "fascist" indicates that you understand little about how a business works, and that you really do not know what the term means. To classify Apple users as "sheep" also just shows the world how ignorant you are of people, and how intolerant you are of those who happen to think differently and practice different consumer activities than you. You imply that Apple makes inferior products, yet today the street set their stock target price at $500. Furthermore, you probably have not seen 10 year old Apple labs still being used, while their Windows counterparts are breaking down after about 3-5 years of use.[/citation]

spoken like a true apple fanboi. MS is not dieing when 90% of pc's in the world run it. windows 7 is better than OSX, but if i could dual boot OSX with driver support i would buy it, as it is a great OS. i don't hate on apple, but they aren't anything special, they make slight changes to something that isn't their original idea, then call it innovation. their products are good, but not great or perfect. apple fanbois are walking spokesmen who try and convince you how cool their iproduct is...

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]You seem to be the confused one here. If you look at Apple and Microsoft, then you can see what the "open" business model got MS...they are slowly going extinct, while Apple continues to grow and innovate. There is something to be said for keeping a certain business model in place and restricting access to the core components. Once just anyone is allowed to go in and program/do what they want, then they end-up creating products that do not fall in line with the business model. Apple has hundreds of pages of text on just what a Mac interface should look like. Some may criticize this, but when you are selling to the general public you need to produce a product that provides the same look, works in a predictable manner, while at the same time is robust/stable.Calling Apple's attitude "fascist" indicates that you understand little about how a business works, and that you really do not know what the term means. To classify Apple users as "sheep" also just shows the world how ignorant you are of people, and how intolerant you are of those who happen to think differently and practice different consumer activities than you. You imply that Apple makes inferior products, yet today the street set their stock target price at $500. Furthermore, you probably have not seen 10 year old Apple labs still being used, while their Windows counterparts are breaking down after about 3-5 years of use.[/citation]

Fair enough, I can respect the idea that their business model restricts access to core components and software. I also know that this business model, and how strictly they enforce it, quickly evovles into search warrants of innocent people's homes, as well as a interrogation and suicide in their factories when a prototype goes missing; and not even a prototype of an iPhone, but something not many people have heard of.

I can also appreciate the idea of spending exhorbitant amounts of time and money into tailoring a product to appeal to the largest number of people possible, as in the case with the Mac interface.

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding how Apple's attitude couldn't be considered "fascist," especially since the fascism ideology is literally comprised of A) Strong leadership, B) Singular Collective identity, C) The will and ability to do what is needed to keep the central power strong (and fabricating situations where people committ suicide and having enough influence over the legal system to have someone's house broken into certainly fills this part).

As for referring to the average Apple user as a "sheep," I can't help but point to the fact that Apple price fixes their products, which is the prime reason why they have been so zealous (or should I say fascist?) in keeping Mac Clones out of the market. Apple releases a new version of the iMac/iBook/whatever, what, once every 2-3 years? And the actual hardware specifications never change in that time frame, however the cost doesn't change. Sure, computer purchases are always going to be based upon your needs at the time, but seriously most people who aren't die-hard apple fans can't justify the additional cost to buy only apple products when it's relatively simple to set things up in a non-apple environment.

Also, kudos on using Apple's actual tagline in your defense of it's users - Way to not be influenced by advertising.

So yeah, Apple has an amazing business model which generates them stupid amounts of profit because they have a stranglehold over a demographic which will throw money at them whenever they release a new product, regardless of said product's functionality/quality. Doesn't make them any less fascist, though, nor their lowest-common-denominator consumer any less of a sheep.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]spoken like a true apple fanboi. MS is not dieing when 90% of pc's in the world run it. windows 7 is better than OSX, but if i could dual boot OSX with driver support i would buy it, as it is a great OS. i don't hate on apple, but they aren't anything special, they make slight changes to something that isn't their original idea, then call it innovation. their products are good, but not great or perfect. apple fanbois are walking spokesmen who try and convince you how cool their iproduct is...[/citation]

Name calling is always a mature way of discussing things in mature manner. You say Apple makes slight changes to things that is not theirs? Are you familiar with the history of MS? As Picasso said: "A good artist copies, a great artist steals."

You should also keep up with the wave of technology. MS Office is slowly being dropped for OO and various cloud apps. The 90% you speak of is on many machines that have been in the business sector for years, but they are now starting to move to the iPad and it is predicted that sales for Win will decrease 5% in the next year due to the iOS.

Finally, just because someone approaches a product with common sense, logic, and functionality does not reduce one to the category of a "fanboi" trying to convince others how "cool" my product is. FYI: I also own Win7 boxes and only develop on Win7. Not of "fanboi" of either.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
what you're missing without an Android

Customizable home screens.
Interactive live wallpapers for backgrounds
Adding widgets to display relavent information the moment you swipe your phone, not having to go digging through "apps" just to check Email, or RSS feeds
Hardware choices at various price options. Including slide out keyboards or led flash for camera.
Choices in multimedia software, change your mp3 player apps. not locked into itunes like interface
Linking and syncing with google and gmail.. which is free (unlike mobile.me) for calendar and email and contacts.

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]as well as a interrogation and suicide in their factories when a prototype goes missing; and not even a prototype of an iPhone, but something not many people have heard of.[/citation]

My apologies, I misspoke - the suicide did involve an iPhone go missing. What I was thinking of was Tech Columnist Jason O'Grady who came across some inside info at Apple, and posted about it on his blog. When Apple discovered the leak, rather than accepting free publicity, or going through proper legal channels and send a C&D letter, they subpoenaed his ISP, tried to get them to take down his website and source of employment, and also subpoenaed O'Grady himself in order to get the name of the source who leaked the information.

This wasn't even for a prominent apple product, either. It was for a FireWire Breakout Box for Garage Band.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not missing nothing at all, Apple are a bunch of idiots. They think that shit is special?

First of all the App store is full of crap, I have an ipod and i can tell you that I only have like a handful of Apps. Quality > Quantity and it doesnt matter that you have millions of apps when 99.9% of them are complete and utter SHIT and im not just talking about the fart apps, im talking about all of them in general. Fuck the games.

The second video. Really? They think a stupid cover flow is special? I have an ipod and i barely use that crap, I rather have the list and be done with it which every mp3 player can do. For that Id rather buy a $20 mp3 player.

Ibooks, really? again they think thats special? If i wanted to read a damn about id go to to the bookstore and buy one, unless you read 10 books at the same time (which quite frankly is stupid) I dont see anything special about this. Besides, Im not gonna read a whole damn book on a tiny shitty screen. And no Im not gonna get a freaking ipad just for that. Id rather save 80% and get a kindle which does it cheaper and better.

And the reason im so aggressive is because Apple think we're a bunch of morons with these ads. Too bad for them im immune to their bullshit

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

You poster you quoted....said nothing about pirating anything. At least read the post you're quoting first...

Now....Apple has used this same business model throughout their entire existance. Piracy has absolutely nothing to do with it. Steve Jobs and Apple want to control everything that users do with their hardware/software....period. Always have and always will.
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Name calling is always a mature way of discussing things in mature manner. You say Apple makes slight changes to things that is not theirs? Are you familiar with the history of MS? As Picasso said: "A good artist copies, a great artist steals."You should also keep up with the wave of technology. MS Office is slowly being dropped for OO and various cloud apps. The 90% you speak of is on many machines that have been in the business sector for years, but they are now starting to move to the iPad and it is predicted that sales for Win will decrease 5% in the next year due to the iOS.Finally, just because someone approaches a product with common sense, logic, and functionality does not reduce one to the category of a "fanboi" trying to convince others how "cool" my product is. FYI: I also own Win7 boxes and only develop on Win7. Not of "fanboi" of either.[/citation]

Apple stole the "GUI" from Xerox....and claimed it was their "innovation". Apple then stole the mouse, and once again claimed it was their "innovation"... Apple designs a tablet more than a decade after the first tablet hit the market, and claims to have invented the tablet.... Apple has never invented anything....they simply steal ideas and modify them. They don't actually innovate, they simply differentiate their products....and in most cases, restrict their capabilities to the point where they become useless for most people.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
you can get all those things on other phones, they just dont have "i" in front of it. Oh, and you cant even change your ringtone without jailbreaking it. Are apple w@nking themselves?? i think so.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]The_One_and_Only[/nom]Pirating has nothing to do with not liking the iphone smochina, which is obviously done on a regular basis on said phone. People like choices, and have every right in my country to have their own opinion. And I'm pretty sure we all enjoy our freedom in the US...[/citation]

I'm a Pirate.....AHRrrrrrr

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]spoken like a true apple fanboi. MS is not dieing when 90% of pc's in the world run it. windows 7 is better than OSX, but if i could dual boot OSX with driver support i would buy it, as it is a great OS. i don't hate on apple, but they aren't anything special, they make slight changes to something that isn't their original idea, then call it innovation. their products are good, but not great or perfect. apple fanbois are walking spokesmen who try and convince you how cool their iproduct is...[/citation]
i think apple pretty much leads the innovation nowadays. every product they come up with, others follows suit and offer prettier specs (though sometimes has a sub-par build quality) and of course, a no-WTF price tag. whatever comes up from apple, we'll see clones from MS, HP, Google, Motorolla, etc... and try to look cool with their advertisements and imply that apple is stupid (which has some valid points especially on walling their OS'es). don't get me wrong, i'm not an apple fanboy and i don't own a single apple product. i just see this new mobile gadgets floating around all because of apple. their inventions are great, but the execution of their products is questionable. make it open apple, and let's see those haters disappear.

....in my/our dreams. lol.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]yes i am aware the osx is unix, ironic how an open source os is no longer open...[/citation]

Bingo!

Yoder, bear in mind that a lot of people who buy apple buy it as a fashion statement, and not because they're aware of the hardware specs and limitations/offerings that apple has or doesn't have. I'd say a majority of users who know what they're buying (in terms of being knowledgeable about hardware) and know the other choices would most likely avoid apple unless they want something rather mindless that always works: which would be an ipod. Hardware wise, apple has always overcharged for mediocre junk and extremely limited the user in that respect. They were smart in that they combined all of the hardware into a glossy and sleek shell, but they're not the only company to do that anymore. When my friend's $1500 apple lappy fell and popped out of its aluminum shell (but still booted up and worked fine) the apple folks at the apple store told him he needed to buy another one. I put the thing back and it's still running flawlessly. They're just as dirty as everyone else, except that early on they decided they didn't wish to compete with others so they made an i-umbrella. Anything not covered under that umbrella isn't embraced by apple.

Part of the reason that apple OS is safer has to do with the fact that it's unix based and shares that umbrella of security because of linux (hackers don't want to go after their own "kind"). They don't worry about security, and for that reason last week apple's station was hacked in under 5 seconds.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I love Turban OS, you have so much heuuuu.... freedom.... no.... heuuuu..... oh well it must be better it's Apple.......appleeeeeeee... :| LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.