Apple Working on Smaller, Cheaper iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I doubt Apple could ever release a cheaper iPhone, which by definition would be smaller and/or have less functionality.

What is Apple's major argument against Android? It's segmentation. "Too many phones", they tell us. Apple has 1 phone, so their OS just works, as do the apps in their store, not counting apps that have to work on 4 versions of the iPhone + iPad + iPod Touch, anyway... moving on.

If Apple released a smaller, weaker, less capable phone, imagine the outcry when Facetime didn't work cause there was no front-facing camera on the iPhone 4s (s is for small). Imagine the complaints when the new phone had a smaller 320x600 display instead of the new cool retina display. Only 2GB of space!? I can't put much music or many apps on my new phone, bummer!

I mean, the latest iOS doesn't support anything pre iPhone 3GS if I'm not mistaken, but it's magically going to support a less expensive future phone, one that might have even weaker specs than an iPhone or iPhone 3G? This I gotta see.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Smaller? The current one is already too small.

$200 without contract? I've heard that replacement cost for a current iphone without contract is something like $600. I don't see how they could make the phone cost only 1/3 as much just by making it a bit smaller.

G

Apple and their disposable technology. All that time, effort, and materials - only to be tossed in the dumpster in less than a year, for the next one. Didn't choose to upgrade this year? You'll be replacing your phone soon enough anyways, the battery died.

And the people that built that phone you just tossed out? Slave wages, high suicide rate, and HELLISH living conditions (seen the people-catching-nets outside Foxconn residences? Nice touch).

And you just threw it away because you want more fancy things. Maybe you should think about your impact, Apple slave.

G

for financially challenged people of diminutive stature..... OMG it's an iPhone for kids so they can buy more smurf berries!!!!!!

either that or apples suddenly became the champions of poor midgets.....

now i just go hang my head in shame for saying it

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Smaller? The current one is already too small.$200 without contract? I've heard that replacement cost for a current iphone without contract is something like $600. I don't see how they could make the phone cost only 1/3 as much just by making it a bit smaller.[/citation]

The current iPhone costs only ~$180. Rest is packaging, shipping, marketing, R&D and profits.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I can see iPhone 3GS resolution with may be half inch smaller screen, and with new hardware that is nearly identical to iPhone 4, just cheaper (those things go down really fast in price). So, if today iPhone 4 bill of material is below $200, then I can see how it can be made into $100, so that apple would sell it for $200, and that phone would have the same performance as iPhone 4 and smaller screen without retina. It is still nice phone, and hell 2 years ago it would have been phone to kill for, and it would be completely compatible to iPhone 4 in terms of software (just less sharp graphics)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Apple + cheap = Divide by zero = End of world.

Simple, their reign of terror will sweep across the lands, consuming all other mobile devices as wave after wave of people swarm to Apple stores across the world, causing confusion amongst the rest of us who do not follow the cult which will soon be upon us! (well, not cult but rather big fan base)

bperkins_pdx

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
A smaller cheaper phone would make little difference because the bulk of the expense is in the cellular contract. Unless the phone is crappy enough (ie it's such a pain to use that you use the internet less) to get onto the cheaper feature-phone data plan then the overall cost to the user would be almost the same as the full iPhone. Apple will most likely not release such a phone because the app store is their baby and people will buy less apps for a phone that sucks at the internet enough to get on the cheap data plan.

chuckdarwin

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
How's this: iPhone Nano, 2.7" 320x400 screen (same as HP Veer), other specs at least as good as iPhone 4, which should be more than enough juice to run the smaller screen. A screen that size is actually larger than current iPod Nano (1.5" 240x240). There's a market, trust me. Not everyone wants/needs Uberphone.

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
If they went to $200 with no contract, my family would buy 3 of them. We all want iPhones but don't wanna pay that much for them. If you think about it, cheapest iPhone 4 comes to around $550 per phone with the contract, data, and phone. We are not paying over $1500 for 3 phones. $600 would be a great price. I would support this 100%.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Dual mode phone CDMA/GSM is a good idea. And with a no contract price of $200, Apple is becoming a tough contender to the Androids. Competition is a good thing :)

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Smaller? The current one is already too small.$200 without contract? I've heard that replacement cost for a current iphone without contract is something like $600. I don't see how they could make the phone cost only 1/3 as much just by making it a bit smaller.[/citation]

Well.... I've read the current iPhone 4 costs just under $200 to make, not including packaging, shipping, research & development, and profit margin.

Selling a "smaller" iPhone at $200 is completely possible. Especially since Apple can already use what they know from the iPhone 4, thus driving down R&D costs. Packaging and shipping will also be slightly cheaper, and if they choose to lower the profit margin, they can easily skate buy by making the phone $200 and still make a decent money.

And dual mode CDMA/GSM is an excellent idea. So far I haven't bought an iPhone (or any other smart phone) because the cost-to-benefit ratio is too low for me. But having a phone with dual CDMA/GSM could easily change my mind

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I doubt it. A smaller cheaper iPhone? Doesn't make sense. How about an iPod touch plus whatever throw away cell phone you can get at your local grocery store?

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Apple has been missing out on the mid range and low range market segment. They're leaving money on the table. They may now be remedying that situation. You can blab on all you want with drivel about Apple being high end only, won't stoop to mid/low range, but they're a company and they're going to do what makes them the most money, period.

jasonh8806

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]They could make the iPhone as small as possible or larger like the DROID X, I still won't buy the i(diot)Phone.[/citation]
Then why comment i(diot)

jasonh8806

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
It's very funny how every single apple story they put on here everybody has to show how much they hate them for no apparent reason. If you don't buy their stuff then you really have no room to talk about how it works do you? If you think it's overpriced that's great, don't buy it but that isn't going to stop other people from buying their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.