Apple Working to Make Gadgets Scratch Resistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]tronika[/nom]i'll believe it when i see it. i own an iphone4 and the gorilla glass is a joke.[/citation]

Yeah, maybe they should work on things making break-resistant first.

G

April you say.... so how comes there was still an issue with antennagate seeing as some nitrides can act as insulators and how comes this was never applied as an easy cheap fix for the antenna issue, it also adds to the durability of the iPhone

maybe im just fickle but it all just doesn't make sense to me....

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Invisishield anyone? Lol. Ugly as a moose, but it does work... However their return policy on their 'lifetime warranty' leaves a lot to be desired...

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Anyone can live with scratches. Its when your pretty new iphone just fell to the floor and the screen up the middle that you get worried.

Id like to see a phone with the materials of the flexible screens, I bet those are harder to break that that gorilla glass crap.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
this has been used by someone else years ago I believe to make cars more scratch resistant. I know people here in the middle east that use something similar on the front of their cars to make sure that they don't get so scratched up in the sand/desert, the sand at high speed tends to damage cars.

anyways back here this is typical apple I see here, take something somebody has already done, patent it, and pretend that they did not know about it.

and go ahead, downthumb me for bashing apple

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
That will be great, then people would never have to buy a new Apple device. They could just keep their old ones that still look like new.

G

Coincidence that this layer will be covering the antenna, thus resulting in finally a permanent fix to antenna gate?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]AntennaFixed[/nom]April you say.... so how comes there was still an issue with antennagate seeing as some nitrides can act as insulators and how comes this was never applied as an easy cheap fix for the antenna issue, it also adds to the durability of the iPhonemaybe im just fickle but it all just doesn't make sense to me....[/citation]

It makes perfect sense. Steve knows everyone of his zombies will buy the new iphone even if its broken. Then when they release a working version everyone will go buy that one too.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
To be honest that idea should have been one of the first things Apple did to its product. For the amount of money we pay for their products it should be scratch resistant. But, as usually Apple playing the waiting game when add stuff to their products. Not to mention they are nothing revolutionary ether.

But, if they can pull it off without raising the price of the products then its a good move on Apple's part.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Why don't they make a casing that's both inexpensive and user replaceable.

... oh wait a minute, this is Apple we're talking about, never mind.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]this has been used by someone else years ago I believe to make cars more scratch resistant. I know people here in the middle east that use something similar on the front of their cars to make sure that they don't get so scratched up in the sand/desert, the sand at high speed tends to damage cars.anyways back here this is typical apple I see here, take something somebody has already done, patent it, and pretend that they did not know about it.and go ahead, downthumb me for bashing apple[/citation]

The point isn't if people have ever done something "similar", but if someone has ever used protective nitride layers in this venue. It hasn't been done before as far as I can tell, as such, it's valid, despite sounding rather funny and pathetic at the same time. But thats the patent system for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.