Apple's App Store Outperforms Google Play in Revenue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]All the Android fanboys complaining again. Stop reading the freaking Apple stories on Toms. Google has you all by the groin, because they are a propaganda genius. Lots of fee stuff in the Play store alright, but just read the "TOS" and see what you are giving them access to on your phone. Instead of just downing the free stuff try actually paying for some apps on the Play store and Google will take the lead. I own both an Android phone and an HP touchpad with Android on it, and not a single Apple product ever. But my fellow Android users are such whiners, it makes me sick![/citation]

This story isn't a Apple only story fool. And read what ToS about the free apps? You mean the permissions? Too bad I look to see if that app has a reason for that permission before downloading it.

Get a clue.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]This is not really news. Ask any developer who they'd prefer to develop for and it's iOS by a vote of 7:3 over Android (latest figures). And it's not just because they could make more money (most iOS Apps are free, so that argument doesn't hold true for most developers).It's because the type of devices in use are superior on iOS. While Android users love to brag about the GS3 or Note 2 the fact is that most Android devices being sold around the world are low-end pieces of junk. You can still buy brand-new Android phones with slow processors and 2.8" 240x320 screens running version 2.2 or 2.3 of Android. No developer wants to waste time coding for this crap.This is why Samsung (and Google) don't break down their numbers by device. It looks great to talk about how many devices are being activated per day, but that suddenly doesn't look good if most of them are junk. Samsung loves to report total sales and tout the success of the GS3/Note, but if you look at their financials and take their total smartphone sales and divide it into their revenue you see their average cost-per-device is low (meaning they sell a lot of cheap phones for every GS3 they sell).[/citation]

Yawn, another App Cultist.

S3 sales are now more then 30 million, Note 2 sales over 5 million. Yes let's look at Samsung, holy shit they made 15 plus billion dollars on the S3 alone!

Oh, that wasn't what you wanted it to show?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Yawn, another App Cultist.S3 sales are now more then 30 million, Note 2 sales over 5 million. Yes let's look at Samsung, holy shit they made 15 plus billion dollars on the S3 alone!Oh, that wasn't what you wanted it to show?[/citation]

It took 6 months for the S3 to sell 30 million and the Note II is what 5 million after 3 months.

Samsung's flagship phones represent about 25-35% of their total sales. They sell millions more sub-$100 USD phones in Asia (China, India, etc).

By the way: iPhone 5 sales will be 50 million in the first 4 months, so yah... nice try.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]It took 6 months for the S3 to sell 30 million and the Note II is what 5 million after 3 months.Samsung's flagship phones represent about 25-35% of their total sales. They sell millions more sub-$100 USD phones in Asia (China, India, etc).By the way: iPhone 5 sales will be 50 million in the first 4 months, so yah... nice try.[/citation]

It did not take 6 months for it to sale 30 million. That number is now 2 months old.

The Note 2's numbers are nearly the same age.

And so what if it only accounts for 25-35% of their sales, they still made over 15 billion in profit on the S3 alone....

That isn't helping your case. Especially since Samsung isn't the only Android phone manufacturer.

And the iPhone is only successful in the USA, world wide it's market share is dropping.

Another apple cultist who can't handle the facts.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]Enough already, this universally known fact has been reported this month by this author, this is lazy journalism of the cut and paste variety. Start controlling the quality of your output or you will lose a subscriber.[/citation]They don't care. People click these articles to complain that they're being posted, which gives these articles more hits, which makes them want to keep posting them. It's up to us to stop the vicious circle. I know, I clicked on it too.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Yah like $0.99 versus $0.99....Basically Android is used in more developing countries...[/citation]
Like:
Germany,
Switzerland,
France,
Great Britain
Sweden,
Finland,

oh wait, entire Europe. Hm...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]It did not take 6 months for it to sale 30 million. That number is now 2 months old.The Note 2's numbers are nearly the same age.And so what if it only accounts for 25-35% of their sales, they still made over 15 billion in profit on the S3 alone.... That isn't helping your case. Especially since Samsung isn't the only Android phone manufacturer.And the iPhone is only successful in the USA, world wide it's market share is dropping. Another apple cultist who can't handle the facts.[/citation]

You are really fully of garbage to say it kindly. Can't handle the facts? LOL they are not facts that's why I cannot handle it.

Regarding Profits:
1. Samsung 2012 Q2 profits were: $5.86 Billion USD
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/26/samsungs-q2-2012-earnings-record-profit/

2. Samsung 2012 Q3 profits were: $6.00 Billion USD
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204530504578079423183205266.html

3. The telecom unit accounts for 69% of profits

4. Total Samsung profits in Q2 and Q3 = $11.86 Billion USD, telecom unit accounts for
$8.18 Billion USD, that's the ENTIRE unit not just S3, sure S3 is a big part of it. Where on Earth do you get your sill $15 billion profit from?

Regarding S3 sales:
It did not take Samsung S3 6 months to reach 30 million in sales?

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-break-30-million-sales-android-jelly-bean-release-date-approaches-788674

"Samsung believes that its Galaxy S3 will achieve more than 30 million in global sales by the end of 2012, an executive told the South Korean Yonhap News Agency."

Apple's marketshare is bound to go down, it only produces high-end flagship phones, it doesn't flood the market with sub-par phones designed for the developing world (ie. $100 smartphones).

Plus you seem to completely misunderstand the original comment your initially commented on. Plus you don't even understand the economic data.

By the way, I have a tendency to read SEC filings to understand companies divisions/units, operating income, etc. Everything you write clearly illustrate you do not understand financial markets and simple company balance sheets.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]You can still buy brand-new Android phones with slow processors and 2.8" 240x320 screens running version 2.2 or 2.3 of Android. No developer wants to waste time coding for this crap..[/citation]
Wrong.
The problem is not "many bad phones" (nobody cares about them or their owners anyway).
The problem is neither different screen size (Android has out of the box support for writing apps for different resolutions).
It's just that it's inherently more difficult to support wide variety of devices, many come with their own quirks, including software mods.

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]not_this_again[/nom]It's widely known that apple / iOS users are a lot more likely to pay for garbage than Android users. This isn't surprising at all and certainly it isn't news.Stop posting irrelevant 'news' related to ios/android already..[/citation]
[citation][nom]not_this_again[/nom]It's widely known that apple / iOS users are a lot more likely to pay for garbage than Android users. This isn't surprising at all and certainly it isn't news.Stop posting irrelevant 'news' related to ios/android already..[/citation]

That's not the only reason this is wrong. It's like he eitehr didn't read the full article, or didn't understand it. The point was, Apple's app store sales are still on top, but google play's sales growth is outpacing apple's. Android phones/tablets have been gaining market share against IOS for a very long time. Android devices far outsell IOS in the world, and as of this year, they outnumber IOS devices in the U.S. as well, with no sign f slowing. If you *are* a developer with *any* foresight, you're going to develop for the platform that has the largest market share.

That's not to say there's no good reason to develop for IOS anymore, but it was none of the reasons you mentioned.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]quilciri[/nom]Really? People who can spend $600 on a phone have more disposable income?Inconceivable![/citation]

How much do you think a Samsung S3 and Note II cost outright?

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]How much do you think a Samsung S3 and Note II cost outright?[/citation]

SOME android devices cost $600 at debut. EVERY IOS device costs $600 at debut.

People that buy $600 Android phones probably spend more in the google play store than those that buy cheaper android phones.

Once again, NO DUH!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]quilciri[/nom]SOME android devices cost $600 at debut. EVERY IOS device costs $600 at debut.People that buy $600 Android phones probably spend more in the google play store than those that buy cheaper android phones. Once again, NO DUH![/citation]

So you're conceding that there are more iPhone users than flagship Android users across the globe to account for iOS generating 4-5 times more in its app store than Google's?

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]So you're conceding that there are more iPhone users than flagship Android users across the globe to account for iOS generating 4-5 times more in its app store than Google's?[/citation]

Umm, that was never a point of contention. I don't know who you were arguing with on that one.

Or maybe you think you're arguing with me and just didn't understand my earlier post.

either way, nice job. lol

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]quilciri[/nom]Umm, that was never a point of contention. I don't know who you were arguing with on that one. Or maybe you think you're arguing with me and just didn't understand my earlier post.either way, nice job. lol[/citation]

[citation][nom]quilciri[/nom]Really? People who can spend $600 on a phone have more disposable income?Inconceivable![/citation]

This was your original comment, this has zero insight or value.
Consider the following, global flagship sales are close to almost even for Apple compared to Android. Apple may have more, it may have a bit less, but the percentage difference is at best +/- 10%.

However, Apple App Store is outperforming Google Play by 400%-500%.

Saying people who can buy a $600 smartphone have disposable income adds no value to the thread.

At least in my initial comment: wemakeourfuture 12/24/2012 3:40 PM

I tried to provide reasons for the discrepancy.

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]This was your original comment, this has zero insight or value. Consider the following, global flagship sales are close to almost even for Apple compared to Android. Apple may have more, it may have a bit less, but the percentage difference is at best +/- 10%.However, Apple App Store is outperforming Google Play by 400%-500%.Saying people who can buy a $600 smartphone have disposable income adds no value to the thread.At least in my initial comment: wemakeourfuture 12/24/2012 3:40 PM I tried to provide reasons for the discrepancy.[/citation]

My previous comment, and my original comment are two different comments. try again.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Nothing you have said that I commented on makes any sense, sorry buddy.

First comment:

See my previous post which dissects your useless drivel.

Second Comment:

[citation][nom]quilciri[/nom]
SOME android devices cost $600 at debut. EVERY IOS device costs $600 at debut.

People that buy $600 Android phones probably spend more in the google play store than those that buy cheaper android phones.

Once again, NO DUH!
[/citation]

Once again, if you look at my last message, if Android flagship phones are +/- 10% of iPhone sales than how does this account for the App Store making 400%-500% more than Google Play. The Article is about App Store making significantly more than Google Play, not comparing Android flagship purchases with non-flagship purchases.

You wanted to bring up the people who can afford $600 on a phone, so I narrowed in on comparing Apple $600 phone consumers with flagship Android consumers. And that does
not address the discrepancy in sales and profitability of apps.

So essentially your comments about App Store making 4-5 times more than Google Play is:

1. people with $600 to spend on a phone have more disposable income, zero value
2. people with Android flagships spend more than cheaper Android phones, again little value when we analyze flagship to flagship trying to understand revenues and profitability of both.

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Nothing you have said that I commented on makes any sense, sorry buddy.First comment:
See my previous post which dissects your useless drivel. Second Comment:
Once again, if you look at my last message, if Android flagship phones are +/- 10% of iPhone sales than how does this account for the App Store making 400%-500% more than Google Play. The Article is about App Store making significantly more than Google Play, not comparing Android flagship purchases with non-flagship purchases.You wanted to bring up the people who can afford $600 on a phone, so I narrowed in on comparing Apple $600 phone consumers with flagship Android consumers. And that does not address the discrepancy in sales and profitability of apps.So essentially your comments about App Store making 4-5 times more than Google Play is:1. people with $600 to spend on a phone have more disposable income, zero value2. people with Android flagships spend more than cheaper Android phones, again little value when we analyze flagship to flagship trying to understand revenues and profitability of both.[/citation]

and you've still missed teh comment where I already covered this.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
What are you guys/gals trying to prove to each other? ...and is is so important that you prove it? That Android is more preferred/sells better than iOS or vice-versa? Gimme a break. At this stage in the game why do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.