Apple's App Store Outperforms Google Play in Revenue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamahome5555

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
@Commenters
---
Some people are being stupid
----
Anyways there's a reason why there's more games like bejeweled are only available in App store is because they know they can make more profit in App Store. They knew they couldn't make much money in Play Store because of APK files. You could download crack version in other website. That's why THEY WON'T PUT THEM AND THEY RATHER put it there. THEY COULD MAKE MORE MONEY IN APP STORE. That's the point. It's harder to bs with iOS because there's no such thing. Unless you jailbreak it. But people nowadays updates to iOS 6 which there's no jailbreak. You see more high quality games on iOS.
---
Also you don't need a credit card to sign up for App Store. Recheck again if you could. They haven't updated the welcome screen that's why there's no free sign up.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation]Also you don't need a credit card to sign up for App Store. Recheck again if you could. They haven't updated the welcome screen that's why there's no free sign up.[/citation]

There is no need to give credit card number just to sign-up, but somehow, Apple makes it difficult to avoid giving credit card number when downloading free Apps. (At least at the time when I bought the first gen ipad, I needed to Google to find a way to avoid giving my Credit card number just to download a free App. Apple just does make this option obvious)

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]1. There's more free apps than paid apps, so you're wrong about that2. You DO NOT need a credit card to access and download from the Apps Store, so you're wrong about that[/citation]
1. You're so right, you know, because there are apps that are just the same on both stores like Angry Birds where they both cost 99 cents. Oh wait, you're wrong. There's free versions that are add supported on Android.
2. I'm sorry, I was 66.66% wrong. I forgot to mention you could use a pre paid iTunes card or your debit card as well, or if you set up an iTunes account when it first came out you didn't need any type of card, but I've set up an iPhone within the last 2 months and it simply WOULD NOT ALLOW ME to download ANYTHING from the Apple app store without some type of credit card, debit card or iTunes card. BURN!!! /sarcastic voice

And if you're wondering, no, I don't care for Apple. I bought an iPod Touche for my nephew. The Apple salesman told me it was gen 4 and it would have a rear facing camera for pictures and video. I put it up for a month and under the Christmas tree, He opened it, no camera, and only 8 gig instead of 16. I took it back, Apple wanted a restock fee and an extra $100.
So we kept it. It didn't let him set up any type of account without one of the 3 mentioned cards even just to download the free apps. I wasn't offered a refund and was told I was trying to scam them because I had the product over a month so I had plenty of time to swap out the gen 4 I paid for with a gen 2. A55holes.
Same with my brother's recently purchased iPhone 5 (which wound up getting returned for a Samsung Galaxy S3). It simply would not let him download anything without setting up an account, which required some type of payment card. Plus there was this "bug" where his password and user name never matched for more than 5 minutes after a reset that made the iPhone completely unusable. And maps and gps navigation flat out sucked.
If you're wondering, no, I'm not a Samsung fanboy, I'm still running my HTC Evo 4g. I absolutely refuse to buy an Apple after my last experience. I'm due an upgrade but haven't decided which phone to get, but that LG Optimus G looks pretty sharp, and I want to be happy with wherever I get because its going to have to last me the next 2 years, maybe longer.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Why do we keep getting these articles that try to do an apple-to-apple comparison (pun intended), when both markets do not operate the same way, with the same revenue goals.

Apple's Goal is to sell Apps for $

Google's Goal is to sell Apps for $ OR make revenue via advertising.

Case in point, Angry Birds, one of the most popular apps sold in history is a paid app in the iTunes store, and will account for sales revenue for every unit sold/downloaded (this includes Seasons, Rio and Star Wars Angry Birds). Go across the isle to Google Play and these apps are free, and include ads.

So for this to be a matching comparison between the two services on generating revenue for the app developer, you would need to identify how much revenue is generated via advertising as well as apps sales on both platforms. This would show total revenue generated by the platforms and would provide a better comparison.

Many of the top popular paid apps on Apple iOS are free on Google Play w/ ads, this alone skews the comparison.

scotv453

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
tl:dr App Store charges more for their app store apps, while Google Play sells them cheaper, and a lot of times free.

But really does any of this matter? Has anyone got the ENTIRE store apps on their phones? There is no need to have everything. And there are crap ton of duplicate apps on both stores. Some with even the same presentation.

I will stick with android. I got everything I need and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.