Apple's iOS 6 Has Already Been Jailbroken

Status
Not open for further replies.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hahaha. Laughing so hard that i've got tears in my eyes...

This is quite what i expected from apple. I'm surprised that the entier line of apple products haven't been completly ravaged by maleware.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Don't have am iPhone, don't want one.
Thing is heavy as a brick. Pain in the arse to keep in a shirt pocket; where I keep my little flip phone when driving.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Why so much hate for Apple, and why so much amusement at a jailbreak?

Jailbreaking a phone OS having access to all the OS files is not shocking and does not represent a security risk - all it means is that iPhone users keep their option to jailbreak their phone. It's a positive thing for them.

If you want to worry about security, look no further than this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-apps-zero-permissions-75001/

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Why so much hate for Apple, and why so much amusement at a jailbreak?Jailbreaking a phone OS having access to all the OS files is not shocking and does not represent a security risk - all it means is that iPhone users keep their option to jailbreak their phone. It's a positive thing for them.If you want to worry about security, look no further than this:http://www.androidauthority.com/an [...] ons-75001/[/citation]

I personally don't laugh at "security" (I never worry about security. You have net access, you're insecure, simple as that, period). I laugh at this:

[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]Yep. If a human made it, a human can unmake it. What cracks me up the most is that those trying to "protect" stuff (aside from usually breaking compatibility) spend millions of dollars, using a team of workers, and months on R&D and the defeat is usually just one person in a very short time expending almost nothing.[/citation]

And at the fact that Apple gets upset so much at the users actually gaining a bit more control over their phone.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Why so much hate for Apple, and why so much amusement at a jailbreak?Jailbreaking a phone OS having access to all the OS files is not shocking and does not represent a security risk - all it means is that iPhone users keep their option to jailbreak their phone. It's a positive thing for them.If you want to worry about security, look no further than this:http://www.androidauthority.com/an [...] ons-75001/[/citation]
Like also so many flaws discovered on iOS but don't get the same attention?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Like also so many flaws discovered on iOS but don't get the same attention?[/citation]

No, absolutely incorrect.

iOS is widely documented to be fundamentally more secure than Android. Do some research:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57335692-83/apple-ios-is-safer-than-android-mcafee-says/

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Is anyone REALLY suprised this has happened? All the other iOS versions were jailbroken rather rapidly so why not this one.
personally, i have no idea why you would want to jailbreak the iPhone. You instantly void any warranty that you have, and you open yourself up to a world of shitty apps and poor security. If i wanted a phone bogged down with malware i would get an android.
It's kind of silly that you would risk messing up a £500 phone just to save some pennies on free applications. If you've got the money for an iPhone i think you can afford £0.79 for angry birds.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]bigcatface[/nom]Is anyone REALLY suprised this has happened? All the other iOS versions were jailbroken rather rapidly so why not this one.personally, i have no idea why you would want to jailbreak the iPhone. You instantly void any warranty that you have, and you open yourself up to a world of shitty apps and poor security. If i wanted a phone bogged down with malware i would get an android.It's kind of silly that you would risk messing up a £500 phone just to save some pennies on free applications. If you've got the money for an iPhone i think you can afford £0.79 for angry birds.[/citation]

Clearly you know nothing about jailbreaking iPhones so why even comment? Jailbreaking an iPhone is now a software mod ONLY, meaning you can at any time restore it to factory, send it to apple, and they will fix it. If your screen breaks or something and you dont have a chance to restore it, yes it voids your warranty, but then again a broken screen isnt covered anyway. And shitty jailbreak apps? You get access to a whole world of tweaks, add-ons, themes, etc. Not to mention an app called Installous, which gives you access to every app in the actual appstore for free. Seems quite appealing to me.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]No, absolutely incorrect.iOS is widely documented to be fundamentally more secure than Android. Do some research:http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-5 [...] afee-says/[/citation]
Perhaps your reading skills are lacking but I NEVER stated that one OS was safer than the other. But stated that there are also security risks on iOS. Also like symantec stated in a study the OS is safe. The only points it truly fails is that it relies on a user to choose what to install or not and the ability to install software without using a market place.

Status
Not open for further replies.