Apple's iPad: Initial Hand's On Impressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]Just weird seeing all the perceptions on iPad turning around 180 degrees just like that. I smell a fish.[/citation]
Because thinking about what it is, is different than using it.

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
In the End It's still a Giant ipod touch with more apps, and everyone will hate all the douche bags flashing this thing for no reason or carrying it outside when they have a bag to put the thing.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ZEPd3Z[/nom]In the End It's still a Giant ipod touch with more apps, and everyone will hate all the douche bags flashing this thing for no reason or carrying it outside when they have a bag to put the thing.[/citation]
Why would you say that? If you don't plan to get it, whatever then. I don't want an iPad either, but why the need to call people who have them "douch bags?" What's their to get upset about? Are they threatening to rob you with their iPad? Or jumping up and down in front of you? For the most part, they'll be ignoring you and you ignoring them so what's the big deal with the hate mongering?

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
If it were cheaper i would buy one simple as that, the price tag of this item for a person of my income can't afford such a luxury item. I rather spend my money on a new TV or the projector 3D idea then buy this. But that's just my income, if i was making 4k-6k a month i would have bought one.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Let's say that the iPad really is a giant iPod Touch for a moment--it still offers one big advantage: a larger touch screen. Just this single aspect alone, separates the iPad from being a "giant iPod Touch"
Someone is kidding themselves, are you saying that the larger screen is what is making it more than a large Ipod touch? So...A larger Ipod touch has a regular sized screen? No im pretty sure that the bigger screen is EXACTLY what makes it a bigger Ipod touch. Honestly I am a PC person and may be bias, but that little sentance right there gave me te impression that you were gonna like the Ipad no matter what.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]Someone is kidding themselves, are you saying that the larger screen is what is making it more than a large Ipod touch? So...A larger Ipod touch has a regular sized screen? No im pretty sure that the bigger screen is EXACTLY what makes it a bigger Ipod touch. Honestly I am a PC person and may be bias, but that little sentance right there gave me te impression that you were gonna like the Ipad no matter what.[/citation]
Right, but if you read what I said about the apps, you would get that what I meant was that the larger screen allows the iPad to do so much more than an iPod Touch could ever do. It isn't just simply a "larger iPod Touch" that runs the same tiny apps. It runs far better apps.

And no I still find some important features such as: USB, SD Card slot, missing mic/webcam, etc. a major design flaw.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Haha thats what I mean, a bigger Ipod touch would naturally have people developing apps to fit the larger screen. Like I said I may be bias but not stubbornly so, I did enjoy my Ipod touch greatly until I got my Zune HD and even know im not so sure I like the Zune better (I mainly got it because I really wanted a device with the Tegra in it) But it uses the same OS as the Iphone, which to me makes it a larger Ipod touch. Yes it has faster hardware but that hardware is needed to run apps and things at a reasonable performance on the larger screen. Im sure it does do excellent at the things it IS capable of doing, thats what Apple does, but saying its more than a larger Ipod touch is just untrue.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]Haha thats what I mean, a bigger Ipod touch would naturally have people developing apps to fit the larger screen. Like I said I may be bias but not stubbornly so, I did enjoy my Ipod touch greatly until I got my Zune HD and even know im not so sure I like the Zune better (I mainly got it because I really wanted a device with the Tegra in it) But it uses the same OS as the Iphone, which to me makes it a larger Ipod touch. Yes it has faster hardware but that hardware is needed to run apps and things at a reasonable performance on the larger screen. Im sure it does do excellent at the things it IS capable of doing, thats what Apple does, but saying its more than a larger Ipod touch is just untrue.[/citation]
I see what you mean. Perhaps I could have been a bit more clear in what I was trying to say in the article. But yeah, the iPad isn't mean to be a jack-of-all-trades. It's just meant to do a few specific things really well. Still, I wish it had those missing features I mentioned. :)

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
The best part for me is, they will still sell a lot because of the enormous ammount of apps available, raising the bar for something very cool like a tablet designed by Asus with a Tegra 2. That is what I want, If there were someone in the PC world as dedicated to quality as Apple, Its Asus.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Pretty cool but I will wait for someone like Acer to release one. One that has a user replaceable battery, USB support, a SD card slot for camera pics and running Droid all at a cheaper price I am sure.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
A previous article indicated the apps for the iPad might be what generate sales. I'm beginning to believe it. Newspaper reviews are favorable.

G

"The iPad isn't straining on the eyes despite not having an e-ink display." - BULL SHIT.S!!! ha ha ha

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Awesome review. This device is gonna rape and pillage the market. I mean that in a good way. Another words, they have done it again. As a fond PC user, I would welcome any Apple product into my household to sit right next to my PC. As for all the fanboys/girls? Grow up :)

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]I can't escape the feeling that the next iPad will have 3G, webcam, SD slot and (perhaps) USB... which will leave anyone who just forked out for this one pretty sore when it is announced in 6-months time. The thing is there is no good reason for any of these features to be missing in the first place. There are slate PCs from 7 years ago that had these features.How is the shiny screen out in the sunshine? I prefer real displays over monochrome e-ink, but I despise shiny panels for the reflections.[/citation]

Why would they do that? Name one company that has done everything for humanity and technological development in a logical way, progressing in every aspect that makes sense to ensure the progression of up to date techs/features while wasting the least amount of planetary resources, abundant or not.
It's called milking the economy my friend :)

The only things I have to say abut this were already repeated dozens of times in the "QOTD: How Much Would You Pay for an iPad?" thread

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I never understood complains like "it's just a big iPod".

It's like: I have a 27" TV. I visit my friend and see that he bought a 60" TV, and I say: I don't get why you've bought this thing, it's exactly like my TV, just bigger, what's the point? :)

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
How long do you think it will be before youre bored with it? I know there are apple fanatics out there that just LOOOOVE apple products... but the rest of us see this device as a quasi cool looking tablet that does quite a few things more than an e-reader but quite a few things less than a full tablet pc. Plus knowing apple there will be a new version that's twice as cool as this one in 3-6 months. Of course the lemmings will run out and buy one of those too. My question is why are we still supporting apple after the vitriol theyve unleashed on us recently? no tech support for smokers, bricking iphones if you jail break them (jail break is such an appropriate term), and on and on. Why would you support a company that treats you like youre inferior? Battered wife syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.