Apple's Legal Goliath Struck Down by Spanish Tablet Maker

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacatak

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]its a great day when apple gets its shit flung back to them[/citation]

So they're getting back their iPads and iPhones?

G

Justice may be blind... but it can see in the dark, mwhahahaha.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Yep, so where did Apple get the idea of the 'Mouse' from ?Let's face it, Apple and Microsoft are two of the largest technology thieves out there. They just get away with shit due to their crushing size.[/citation]

Anything which is LEGALLY stolen, can't be 'gotten away with' by any company. Large or small, if the company owning the patent / copyright chooses to invoke legal proceedings.

[citation][nom]U Get Real[/nom]getrealFollowing the conclusion of Apple they can't make air book pros either. After all its quite clearly a physical design almost identical to *insert whatever company that produces laptops here*. Apparently Apple believes it has a patent on a fucking rectangle and you are stupid enough to buy it.[/citation]

Apparently, only YOU believe ANY of the patents involved here are being a 'rectangle', that is your own stupidity, not Apples.

[citation][nom]weaselsmasher[/nom]Unless, of course, Nuevas bought a judge, or the judge was being a nationalist.[/citation]

Indeed.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Yes i'm sure the 27 million smartphones (plus who knows how many stupid phones) that Samsung distributed in the last 3 months were all given away for free. They are the #1 phone maker in the world because they don't know how to do anything except copy Apple. The real reason Apple wants injunctions against Samsung is because Samsung has a superior product that cost's less. It was only a matter of time before they fell, and I don't think strapping an Apple TV to a regular TV, and calling it iTV will do much to save them.[/citation]

Clearly none of the phones Samsung sold were for free. Clearly none of them were sold for as much as iPhones. No Samsung phone, full stop, is as powerful as the iPhone 4S - to be factual, so to describe them as 'superior' is disingenuous. You pay less, you get less. Fair enough.

Apple wants injunctions because I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant rip off of an entire line of products, from the iPod to the iPhone to the iPad. Even in court the lawyers couldn't tell the difference. All you are doing by hating Apple and disagreeing with their court cases vs Samsung is saying that you want all companies to just copy everything else instead of innovating. You can copy certain things which are not patentable, but you can't copy EVERY thing in a decide, and get away with it. You can't blame Apple for not letting it happen.

[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]"the lawsuits are merely to discourage more blatant copying" This an extremely bias statement. Downplaying what Apple is doing, and overselling what Samsung is doing? It's purely an anti-competitive move by Apple. Prevent anyone from entering the market by making sure they never make it into the market through tricks with the legal system. [/citation]

This, is what is extremely bias. You're trying to claim you understand the motivations of a company you have no involvement with. You're making massive, massive assumptions. The worst logical failure of your entire post is that if a presiding judge deems there to be no copyright infringement, or no case thereof, no injunction could or would be granted. Apple can only be 'anti-competitive' if rival companies breach their copyright or patents, like Samsung blatantly did. If Samsung and other companies want to avoid legal cases, don't give Apple a case in the first place, by blatant copying (particularly in the case of Samsung).

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Yep, so where did Apple get the idea of the 'Mouse' from ?Let's face it, Apple and Microsoft are two of the largest technology thieves out there. They just get away with shit due to their crushing size.[/citation]

I agree with you that they do get away with a lot crap because they have an army of lawyers to shall we say 'make things happen' but I must point out that Xerox gave Apple their mouse design, the mouse having existed as a pointing device since the 1950's, so the didn't steal it at all (Xerox's CEO wasn't at all happy that his R&D team had wasted time and money on a design that "resembled a rodent!").

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
AH finally hope the Spanish have more balls then the Germans or Dutch for that matter and give it to Apple good :D I think Mercedes should start suing other car manufacturers , they are all infringing on his designs , four wheels and all :D

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Wonder how they won that argument.[/citation]
So your logic if Apple decides to sue Samsung in the US does it mean that if Apple wins it was because Apple is also a company from the US?

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
The thing I like the most about Apple is that it is an entirely avoidable technology stack. I can live without it. So I choose not to buy any Apple products.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So your logic if Apple decides to sue Samsung in the US does it mean that if Apple wins it was because Apple is also a company from the US?[/citation]

That is not what he said. You have a habit of doing this. Different countries have different levels of bribery. To accuse one country of bribery is not accusing EVERY country of bribery.

He may, for example, believe that this particular Spanish judge is corrupt. That belief doesn't necessarily mean that he also believes that every American judge is corrupt.

People mean exactly what they say, stop creating new points which masquerade as being remotely similar to what the original poster said.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple will likely soon be the world's most despised company. When I see an Apple logo a feeling of disgust rises inside me and I have to look away-- this was not always the case. Why is this thieving company so evil? Not only are they promoting locked down dumbyoudown standards for its gullible moronic followers who will pay almost any price to buy their junk drm infested hardware, but they are hindering creativity by patenting things as basic as the "slide to lock" mechanism, so prevalent and so natural to bio-mechanical interaction that even a dog knows how to use it. Apple, you are a disgusting parasite and the world is watching you, and people are speaking up against you practices all over the internet.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]That is not what he said. You have a habit of doing this.[/citation]
It's largely due to the majority of the people on this site desperately seeking acceptance that they do not get in reality, so they just jump on whatever bandwagon is currently strong so they fit in. It's funny to see how many lame Apple jokes are made just to try to win favor...funny and sad. Right now, its Samsung and Android that people here cling to. But in this case, Vlad is using any number of fallacies (several fit) with his claim about bribery, so he has already defeated his own argument.

G

Thank you judge for applying a little old fashioned commonsense. Where would we be if Daimler and Benz had done the some thing with the automobile that Apple is trying to do with the rest of its competitors. Clearly the idea of making money from sales and not legal action is not the Apple doctrine. May this legal ruling become a more common event and I hope the judge is rewarded or recognised for his creativity, inspiration and plain common sense. Viva la Judge!

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Oh, so it should be allowed to steal, because it is a small company...like that makes it any better.Theft is theft, period.[/citation]

You are right. Apple should stop selling every product they make based upon the fact that there is NOTHING Apple makes that wasn't derived (stolen) from someone else.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]No Samsung phone, full stop, is as powerful as the iPhone 4S - to be factual, so to describe them as 'superior' is disingenuous. You pay less, you get less. Fair enough.[/citation]

While Apple does have the fastest processor in their devices it is not the most powerful by far. Its users are blinded by marketing and the closed system that Apple promotes. The OS does not allow the A5 to reach its potential. This processor would be an absolute monster on an OS that has true multitasking capabilities. The capabilities are there for the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2, but with the measures put in place to limit the amount off apps that can open and by pausing apps switched to the background it reduces the usefulness of such a great processor. All in the name for fabricating extended battery life.

This Samsung modified ARM 9 is a great piece of hardware. Too bad the vendor that got the processor has no clue what they have.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]istank[/nom]While Apple does have the fastest processor in their devices it is not the most powerful by far. Its users are blinded by marketing and the closed system that Apple promotes. The OS does not allow the A5 to reach its potential. This processor would be an absolute monster on an OS that has true multitasking capabilities. The capabilities are there for the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2, but with the measures put in place to limit the amount off apps that can open and by pausing apps switched to the background it reduces the usefulness of such a great processor. All in the name for fabricating extended battery life.This Samsung modified ARM 9 is a great piece of hardware. Too bad the vendor that got the processor has no clue what they have.[/citation]

The iPhone 4S has the fastest CPU/GPU combination, yes.

However, the CPU element in the iPhone 4S is only 'as good' as the very best Android CPU's, it's the GPU which is so far ahead. What makes the A5 processor work so well despite its lower clock speed is the fact that iOS is designed around it, and the chip is designed around iOS. In other words, Apple manages a much tighter hardware/software collaboration which maximises both. It's more efficient method of handling multi-tasking also prevents any of the slow-down you may found with Android. I have an iPhone 4 - and I can honestly say I was completely unaware of any limit to the amount of apps that can be open. I type this from my Windows 7 desktop with about 40/50 windows open (literally) - I'm a big multi tasker, it's never come up on my phone.

Moving on to Android, we find the opposite scenario. Chips which may in theory be higher performance, tend to not be as tightly linked to the Android software which has to support so many different architectures. This fragmentation means that many Android phones don't realise the full potential of their hardware, and require more RAM to do the same things, and we see the slow-down as a result (and in some cases worse battery life).

With regard to 'closed' system, why do you think people are 'blinded' by that? What do Apple users miss out on due to the system being 'closed'? Remember, the source code to Android 3 was never released, and 4 hasn't been released yet. I struggle to agree that Android is even open, let alone the fact that it's a benefit. If you ask me, the fact that Android operating system is free is actually it's biggest drawback. Not only does it mean every big phone manufacturer other than Apple offers the same operating system (so struggle to differentiate themselves, meaning the profits are split more ways, between more companies), the release cycle also leaves many not-very-old Android phones out in the cold, not receiving the updates (for example the 17 month old Nexus One which wont receive ICS). On top of all of this, the 'open' app store on Android is also holding it back from business. It's well documented that the price of being open is a drop in security, and many experts have come out and said that iOS is far more secure due to the quality control process of the App Store. Pretty much every app that you could ever find on Android is available for iPhone anyway.

I just struggle to see openness as a benefit, to the end consumer, once they actually have the phone in front of them. Feel free to explain to me why it's a benefit, or what important tasks you can do on Android that you can't on iOS due to it being open. I'm open to persuasion. :)

Soon I will be buying a new phone, and I was half expecting the Nexus Prime or the Razr to be better than the iPhone 4S in hardware terms, to make choosing them easy, but I'm really struggling to find a compelling reason NOT to buy an iPhone 4S. I'll take my time though, see what Android phones come out over the next few months.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]dizzy_davidh[/nom]I must point out that Xerox gave Apple their mouse design, the mouse having existed as a pointing device since the 1950's, so the didn't steal it at all[/citation]

Not to pick too many nits here, but my understanding is that Apple's ultimate mouse design after seeing Xerox's mouse concept was nothing like the Xerox mouse in terms of the hardware. It was an improvement for sure - the only thing Apple can be said to have borrowed/stolen from Xerox relating to the mouse was the concept and the two-axis movement idea. (I believe previous mice designs were only one axis)

That said, I hope Apple's bully tactics backfire and they are forced to 'play nice'. I'm so sick of having to finance all of these legal battles through the higher cost of electronics.

G

[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]So awesome, more judges out there need to rule like that spanish judge![/citation]

Looks like the EU supports Apple all the way as long as it is against an Asian company. When it is one of their own, its a different story...

I think Apple's actions should be considered criminal, and Microsoft's anti-trust troubles are nothing compared to Apple's.

Apple's like that fat kid that grows up being picked on all the time, then loses the weight, and instead of taking the high road, turns into what he hated.

Status
Not open for further replies.