Apple's Siri Was Originally a Super Genius; for Android Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

uhh3000

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Apple has a really bad habit of slapping its brand and patents on things it didn't create. This isn't surprising, but it is aggravating. We all know how Apple is, and we all know whoever tries to bring Siri back to its former glory (as this article claims) and actually try to INNOVATE the technology is gonna be sued into the ground, and then some.

G

I am guessing that in iPhone 6 Apple will release a "better improved" Siri as a brand new feature

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Siri is pretty damn good. I use to use Microsofts voice control, had to train it and even after training many times and using it a lot it would still make such stupid mistakes. I eventually gave up on it, then out comes Siri. I thought "Oh great another one" but this one surprised me, it understood nearly everything I said. It gets the words right over 90% of the time, this is incredible.

Then I have some idiot go "APPLE DIDNT INVENT VOICE, MICROSOFT HAD IT BEFORE, DUR" well you're right, but Siri is a nearly perfected version. Its improved, it functions properly and with millions of people using it regularly its "training" itself damn quickly.

Whereas other voice systems? Naw. Not nearly as effective.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Uhm, sacre? No, just no. Here, watch this comparison between Siri and Google Voice. (The broadcaster is a fairly attractive woman, if that'll increase your chances of clicking the link.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=grmixtB9dZM

I have a couple friends with the new iphone who wish they hadn't 'upgraded' - siri in particular is a letdown for them. It's moderately successful if one is in a padded cell, but if there's any other background noise, including gunfire from a video game in the next room, it can't get hardly anything right.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]DarkSable[/nom]Uhm, sacre? No, just no. Here, watch this comparison between Siri and Google Voice. (The broadcaster is a fairly attractive woman, if that'll increase your chances of clicking the link.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?featu [...] rmixtB9dZMI have a couple friends with the new iphone who wish they hadn't 'upgraded' - siri in particular is a letdown for them. It's moderately successful if one is in a padded cell, but if there's any other background noise, including gunfire from a video game in the next room, it can't get hardly anything right.[/citation]

Funny, i get the complete opposite. Even with background noise it gets it right. Also, there are hundreds of comparison videos that display Siri being better, than Google, than Siri, Google, Siri, Google. So none of them imo hold any weight.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Then I have some idiot go "APPLE DIDNT INVENT VOICE, MICROSOFT HAD IT BEFORE, DUR" well you're right, but Siri is a nearly perfected version. Its improved, it functions properly and with millions of people using it regularly its "training" itself damn quickly.

I know it wasn't in the first paragraph in the article, so you probably missed it, but Apple didn't create Siri either. They just bought the company that did then dumbed it down and claimed it as their own.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Who has the world's best smartphone? Google now is faster and better. Siri is simply annoying.
How many times can you ask your phone to be your girlfriend before it becomes boring. The answer is 2 times.

ruel24

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Yep, I had Siri loaded, but when Apple released their own, they wiped it from my phone... Was a great app!

ruel24

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Keither, the iPhone is still setting sales records, while Android is actually losing marketshare in the US to it. Apple also makes a whole lot more money from iOS than Google, Samsung, and Verizon make from Android combined. FWIW, nearly 2/3 the smartphone sales Verizon had in the 4th quarter last year were iPhones.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
"Siri's roots actually stems back to the Defense Department-funded project CALO"

Skynet anyone? What would it be like if iphones became self aware and tried to take over the world?

:D

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ruel24[/nom]Keither, the iPhone is still setting sales records, while Android is actually losing marketshare in the US to it. Apple also makes a whole lot more money from iOS than Google, Samsung, and Verizon make from Android combined. FWIW, nearly 2/3 the smartphone sales Verizon had in the 4th quarter last year were iPhones.[/citation]

apply numbers are down everywhere but in the US , but you are correc tin that they are growing in the US, it is not fair to say they are defeating android though as they are both growing, ios is just getting more of the losses from RIM than google, both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, i went android for freedom of side loading apps and ease of modification, if somebody wants a closed system but that work well without any desire to modify then ios is a good option.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]uhh3000[/nom]Apple has a really bad habit of slapping its brand and patents on things it didn't create. This isn't surprising, but it is aggravating. We all know how Apple is, and we all know whoever tries to bring Siri back to its former glory (as this article claims) and actually try to INNOVATE the technology is gonna be sued into the ground, and then some.[/citation]

You know nothing and cater to your Android fan boys. There is more to the SIRI story as well as other companies that have attempted to copy SIRI and will continue to copy Apple products in general. It is impossible to innovate anything and everything consistently but Apple has lead with innovative designs that are copied repeatedly. Just keep coming up with nonsense about Apple because it makes you feel better and ignore the fact that Android today wouldn't be nearly as popular if it didnt borrow heavily from Apple's built from the ground up iOS.

xyzzymagic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]It is impossible to innovate anything and everything consistently but Apple has lead with innovative designs that are copied repeatedly. Just keep coming up with nonsense about Apple because it makes you feel better and ignore the fact that Android today wouldn't be nearly as popular if it didnt borrow heavily from Apple's built from the ground up iOS.[/citation]

You obviously didn't bother to RTFA -- that Siri existed as an app on iOS & Android before Apple is firmly established, both with users that had the old version installed, with the company that created it and the DoD initiative behind it. Apple didn't create or design it.

Regarding iOS, if you do your research, you'd find that Apple didn't 'design' it from the ground up — they borrowed very heavily from earlier smartphones and even more from the PDAs that serve as ancestors & popular customization programs for them. No different, really, from the way they've "borrowed" components for OS X from BSD (which they built OS X on top of, incidentally) and its sibling Linux. This goes all the way back to when the first Mac was in the planning process and Apple "borrowed" the design for the mouse literally right out of Xerox's R&D area!

It's sad when people fall for clever identity-based marketing to the point that they stop seeing their purchase as just a well-designed imperfect product, and begin reacting to comments about the company/products as if judgment was being passed on them as a human being instead. Maybe someday we'll find a way to educate kids & adults so they won't be so susceptible to the marketing tactics that produce that mentality.

uhh3000

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]You know nothing and cater to your Android fan boys. There is more to the SIRI story as well as other companies that have attempted to copy SIRI and will continue to copy Apple products in general. It is impossible to innovate anything and everything consistently but Apple has lead with innovative designs that are copied repeatedly. Just keep coming up with nonsense about Apple because it makes you feel better and ignore the fact that Android today wouldn't be nearly as popular if it didnt borrow heavily from Apple's built from the ground up iOS.[/citation]

Geez, I never even mentioned Android. Overzealous fanboy? I'm talking about the company Apple in general. Hell, on the subject of phones, yeah Apple made a good leap with the first iPhone. Before the iPhone 4, I always wanted one of the new iPhones (that came out every other month). But there are better alternatives out now and Apple is still stuck in its little game of trying to kill competition with patents and lawsuits, rather than actually INNOVATE and BEAT the competition.
Btw, Android didn't "borrow heavily" from iOS. Android is built from the ground up on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.