Apple's Unveils Safari 4 Beta; Threatens Firefox

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
@Tindytim: actually they try to claim that Safari 4 Beta is the first browser to get a perfect score in Acid3, although we both know Opera scored it in March 2008 and with the Opera 10 Alpha in December was the first to release a browser capable of the feat.

On the positive side the Safari 4 might mean more sites will be built so they live up to web standards, as it probably will have a bigger effect on developers than Opera has.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Another browser is blackbird. Ya'll ought to give it a shot.[/citation]

i'm sure it has the option to install the free XP antivirus 2009 right?

hehehe

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]seboj[/nom]The new code supposedly makes Safari 4 up to 420 percent faster than its older brother. Apple also claims that Safari 4.0 can execute JavaScript "up to 30 times faster than IE 7 and more than three times faster than Firefox 3."[/citation]

It's funny how they even say 420% when compared to the older version of Safari. Last time I checked, 420% was 4x faster.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Well, downloaded and used the beta. enough to say, it is beta. It still keeps it's minimalist approach of the browser when I shut everything off leaving only the tab bar (which I like) as far as javascript speed, I can't really test that because I don't travel to a lot of java heavy sites. The "Top Sites" feature is neat. Kinda nice graphical way of viewing 16 sites as well as coverflow viewing of your bookmarks, but it's dang slow and I might as well just open them in all tabs would be faster. The RSS is slower to load, but same format as previous. Still like it's RSS reader over Firefox.

G

It's another browser! Big deal! Don't they all do the same thing? Can anybody really tell a speed difference? I think we already have browser's that do things pretty well. I have yet to see three browser's split market share yet. Firefox and IE are pretty much it for Windows user's.

killmess

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Javascript: www.redusers.com (Argentina)
Enter the page, wait until it's all done, click on the address bar, push Enter, take the time it takes.

Opera 10 alpha_______________: 9 sec.
Firefox 3.2a1pre_____________: 9 sec.
Iron 1.0.155.0 (6886)________: 11 sec.(Iron=Chrome made by another company)
IE 7.0.6001.18000____________: 11 sec.
Safari 4 public beta(528.16)_: 16 sec.

It is even slower than IE7 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't make me laugh! faster javascript? Not a chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.