Application to manage ext. HDD

Navinder

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
Kindly suggest a Windows application to manage external Hard Disk with following features:

1. Protection against accidental deletion or corruption of data or the partition table. For instance, it should take care of problems like- a)It happened once that I restarted computer with external hard disk connected, later I found it all 'Unallocated' under Computer Management; b)Today I was using 'diskpart' to create bootable usb flash drive and by mistake selected the wrong disk# and now its in 'RAW' state. Lets hope it get recovered :(

2. Should save tree structure of the folders and files in the external HDD and hence, even after disconnecting HDD, it should provide search feature to find a file if available on disk. The log should get sync every time HDD connects. This would be beneficial to keep track of the data being saved.

1. The best tool for this task is the device behind the keyboard, in front of the screen. No tool will stop you from doing stupid things. As for "data corruption during restart" - there should be something else, and no tool will save you from that.

2. Open command prompt, then "DIR F:\ /s >FilesList.txt". Presto - you've got a list all files on your hard drive with letter F:.

Navinder

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

Kindly ignore for attending late.

I agree to your first point. But human always make mistakes and that's where machine comes in. Nevertheless, I will be more careful in future.

For the second point, I have been already using following command: " tree /f /a > output.txt ". But it's difficult to manage and lacks some file details(like size). I was hoping to have a GUI application for same unless I have to create of my own.