Solved! Applied thermal paste to laptop, BSOD Thread exception not handled

Oct 22, 2018
Hi everyone ,
So after seeing my laptop (ASUS ROG GL502VM) go to temperatures above 90c I though that I just needed to replace the thermal paste (I thought no Biggie I've done that before on computers ). So I bought Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (made sure it wasn't electrically conductive ) and I reapplied my thermal paste and turned on my pc. At first it was running fine then I decided to run ASUS furmark ROG to see if my CPU and GPU temperatures were still very high . For the first minute my GPU was running fine and at 80c at 98 percent but then at 150 seconds my screen started bugging out and I decided to turn my laptop off. After waiting a minute or two I turned it back on and it took a while to show the boot screen but when it did , my screen bugged out again and I got the BSOD message Thread exception not handled . I'm just wondering if my laptop is completely done for at this point due to me replacing the thermal paste ornis it due to the benchmark run that I did to test the temperature performance.
UPDATE : So I got into safe mood and I'm in my pc but I still have blue lines running across my screen and this only happened after the benchmark

Solution

Forgot your system had a discrete video card, yes the CPU may be fine but the nVidia card may not be. You may want to re-check the heatsink on that and make sure you did not use too much thermal paste where it got to the sides of the chip and that the heatsink is on it properly.
Sounds like something got damaged during the stress test after the work you did. That really just exposed whatever issue was there before, yes the test likely did the damage due to heat or some other damage to the CPU, but that issue would still be there even without the test. It would just have taken a bit longer to fail.

Oct 22, 2018
I was thinking as well that it would be heat damage but I was with the computer the entire time, during the stress test, the temperatures never went above 80c so would it be that maybe there was an instant spike in temperature too fast for the reading frequency that caused it? Cause in fact I checked again this morning and my CPU is running fine currently but my GPU now has an error

Forgot your system had a discrete video card, yes the CPU may be fine but the nVidia card may not be. You may want to re-check the heatsink on that and make sure you did not use too much thermal paste where it got to the sides of the chip and that the heatsink is on it properly.

Solution