Archos Android "Home Phone" Coming to the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I'd be more interested in a WiFi or Skype phone without the 3G appendage.[/citation]
Ummm - did you not read the article? That's exactly what this is. It says that it sheds the 3/4g but keeps wifi.
And yes, I too would be interested in this for my house, as long as the price was low. Hell, I'd get one for my parents and my inlaws to make it easier for them to skype without needing a computer or tablet.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
That could actually be an interesting gadget to have around. Let's see if it is initially priced out of this universe or just out of this world.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I'd be more interested in a WiFi or Skype phone without the 3G appendage.[/citation]

Oops, meant to also add 'without the landline appendage (VOIP)'

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
If it's anything like most Archos devices, you can probably get the Android market on it fairly easy if you wanted to, not that you'd be able to run much on Froyo.

Archos is really blowing it up on the low end droid market. Stay tuned as Apple releases the "ILandline" next year at twice the price and suddenly it's revolutionary.

G

I've got a Magic-Jack line just for making those annoying 1-800 calls for bills, utilities, or support lines. I bought a $20 cordless phone from Wal-Mart and could barely figure out how to use it because it was too... simple? If that makes sense. I think an android landline device would be a bit much... unless it was like $50.. then maybe... (=

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
why smartphones are good is because they are portable and if someone has a smartphone, why would he need an exactly same device but only for landline

maybe a landline dock which lets you use your mobile phones (the ones you currently have) to make landline calls too would be useful

G

Sounds promising, though technical spec might get further tweak to fit our own expectations, for me, living near trunk power line had ups and downs, up is canceled out pockets of wave-free zones and downs were signal noises especially problematic on analog cordless but much better on recent digital types.

But I love Bluetooth headsets. Look ma, no hands; that's a good allure for something like this.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I too have a Magic-Jack line, which of course requires an internet connection and a PC that is always on. (Though they just came out with a new version that doesn't require a PC). Works fairly well and saves my minutes on my wireless plan when I am at home. To me the reason to still have some type of home phone is you don't need a costly unlimited family plan from the wireless carriers. People pay 3x-4x the amount to the phone companies than they used to pay for a home phone to have cell phone service. Think about it. AT&T use to be in everyones pocket for $60-70 dollars a month, now it's 100-200 or more. You can almost by a cheap new car for what you pay for cell service each month if you have 3 or more phones on your plan.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Lame. I have an old Droid Eris running the latest Cyanogenmod build (took about ten minutes to get that running) it has a disabled CDMA/3g radio so the battery lasts days and days. I have a free phone number through a DID/SIP portal, free call negotiation on a SIP/PBX portal, and free software to tie it all together (SIPdroid and Google Voice). Now, whenever this little handset is within range of wifi it can take/make calls and TXT messages to anywhere in the US, and it's completely FREE. If i were so inclined (i have a wireless contract so i'm not, unfortunately) i could throw in a MVNO provider and buy a heap of wireless minutes for about $5/mo and have a fully featured smartphone that costs less than $10/mo to maintain.

Where are you now, Archos?

G

I love the last statement...does anyone have a landline anymore...ummm something like 73% of us actually!

The huge plus for this device is the contact management. The reason I use my cellphone so much more than my landline when I'm at home is because its so much easier to pull up my contacts and dial them. While the first device to market is typically not received very well I think that this application has an enormous amount of potential. you'll start hearing more about it when Apple starts producing them.

G

I hope the touchscreen on the home phone version of Archos Home Connect is better than the touchscreen on their clock radio-- I've been working with the radio version since Saturday evening (when it showed up on my doorstep)-- it SUCKS-- even way worse than the Archos touchscreens of the past (and that's saying something). It requires you to literally pick the thing up, holding firmly in one hand, while "touching" (jabbing FIRMLY) with the finger from the other hand, akin to holding a ball of hard clay and punching a hole in it with your finger-- it requires THAT much pressure in order to get the screen on it to respond. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE-- and I suspect it's how Archos got away with marking it with such a low price (US $149)-- by using such sub-par screen hardware.

libram

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I have netTalk and paying $30 per year!!No need PC! Amazing service!!! $150 for Local,Canada and 60 countries.Using from last six months without any problem.Available @ Walmart.

stylintech

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah yeah.. Now we can buy these kids cheap cell phones instead of them expecting us to by them high price smart phones.. This phone will be great for home.. Hoping the kids wont fight over the house phone tho.. Lol..

stylintech

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah yeah.. Now we can buy these kids cheap cell phones instead of them expecting us to by them high price smart phones.. This phone will be great for home.. Hoping the kids wont fight over the house phone tho.. Lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.