Solved! Are laptops with integrated graphics able to play old games?

glassbear

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hi, I am trying to decide between the Sony Vaio EB and EA series laptops. I need the laptop for mainly school purposes but I also want to be able to do some light gaming such as to play old games like dungeon keeper. I'm leaning more towards the EA because it is smaller and lighter but the only problem is that it has integrated graphics. If integrated graphics are capable of playing some old games I’ll definitely get the EA over the EB because it is more portable. As you can probably tell I don't know much about laptops so any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Solution
All AMD laptops have passable integrated graphics, good enough for most 4-5 year old games on at least low settings. Intel's new i3, i5 laptops also have passable integrated graphics. The integrated graphics of Intel's older cpus are much weaker, hit or miss there.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Some work, but it's a crapshoot with any game made in the last decade; even when the GPU would be capable of running the game it may not run due to lack of hardware T&L, for example (the Intel driver should emulate it on the CPU, but for some reason some games still reject it anyway).

My old laptop with Intel graphics would play games like COD1, Everquest 1. NOLF1, and even some more recent games like Torchlight and Guild Wars, but Half-Life 2 got about 2fps and NOLF2 refused to run due to lack of hardware T&L.

rpg123

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
All AMD laptops have passable integrated graphics, good enough for most 4-5 year old games on at least low settings. Intel's new i3, i5 laptops also have passable integrated graphics. The integrated graphics of Intel's older cpus are much weaker, hit or miss there.

Solution