are new pc's better designed to fight viruses? should I upgrade?

May 11, 2018
A pro is trying to sell me a new PC because how out of date the tech is. Every chip is no longer produced. I bought it almost out of date brand new 5 years ago and have had massive virus intrusions every year. All with both antivirus and antimalware. He says the new PC's have chipsets made specifically to protect against viruses. Is this true or is he just trying to sell me a new PC?
My cpu is an Intel Duo E7400 @2.8 Ghz
My graphics card in NVidia GeForce 8400 GS
Is this really that out of date for someone who just surfs the web. and watches videos?
I'm no gamer.

Solution
If what you say is true, "have had massive virus intrusions every year", then maybe you need to look at your usage habits. If that is happening and all you do is watch movies and surf the web, maybe you're downloading movies from less than legitimate sites, or you're visiting sites that are not safe.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Generally newer hardware is designed to better resist viruses and malware. Some CPUs have protections built in, but they are no substitute for a good anti-virus. Newer chipsets and such are hardened against older exploits, but none of them are 100% protection. Your older hardware has flaws that are fixed in newer units, but for the most part they are issues that affect data center and corporate use more often than not. So... he isn't lying to you, but isn't quite giving you the whole story.

As for your hardware being out of date, it really is. However, if it works for you then who is anyone to say you need something new. That is all up to you. Newer hardware is going to bring you better performance, a more secure system, and regular updates to keep that security up to date. Support ended on your hardware (and probably some software) long ago.

You can get a decent modern solution for pretty cheap nowadays. If you have had security problems it might be worth looking into.

zyh1987

Proper
Mar 16, 2018
yes and no, he is right to certain extent. and definitely yes for your case.

virus is a software and can either exploits on software and hardware flaws.
and there is a constant effort to patch against exploits.

the word you are looking for is support. manufacture will stop support older hardware after a period of time, usually 3-5 yrs after being discontinued.
however, a virus can be stopped at various level, operating system (windows 7 is still supported, but windows xp, vista are not).

for a system like yours, that about 9-10 years old. i would suggest putting recent distro of linux over it instead of windows, as there are better software support.

also, commercial server/workstation product (xeons,quadro and such tends to have longer support cycle) but are much more expensive.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
If what you say is true, "have had massive virus intrusions every year", then maybe you need to look at your usage habits. If that is happening and all you do is watch movies and surf the web, maybe you're downloading movies from less than legitimate sites, or you're visiting sites that are not safe.

Solution