Are Phone Manufacturers ''Abandoning'' Android?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You're baseing your assumptions on the fact that VZW didn't APPROVE or even announce that they were going to carry the N1? Google said it MIGHT go to VZW but it was not a sure thing. And why would they carry the N1 when it's basically the Incredible/EVO hardware but with HTC's super nice Sense UI? I mean really .. the difference between Sense and Goggles 3D app drawer is a non-starter. The Sense UI is MUCH better and more fully developed.

And as for the lawsuits .. this type of " We will sue you to get you to cross license " has been going on for decades between all sorts of businesses .. it doesn't mean manufacturers are "abandoning" Android. Did you ACTUALLY look at what was slated to be released at the last 2 big mobile shows and the more mainstream electronics conventions .. it's something like 60 Android powered phones world wide. I see new Android phones being announced weekly .. no one is abandoning anything.

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
All that Android is is a "distribution" of Linux. All these other "new" OSes from other manufacturers will just be other "distributions" of Linux. Just thought would remind people that these will all fundamentally be based on the same open source OS and so will be very rapid and easy to make (relative to an actual new OS) just as Android was. They'll quickly be extremely comparable. Different flavors of the same thing essentially.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
what kind of bunk is this article?
where did they hear that htc is making there own os?
htc is gonna back both android and wp7
this is the stupidest article i have read in a long time. as another commenter posted the n1 isnt going to verizon cause the incredible is the same phone with a better screen chip and a bigger camera with sense ui.

sprint is still getting the n1 cause sprint will also carry the evo4g which is a different class of cell phone.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
my problem i've had with android is that phone companies (motorola, htc, etc) want the os, but they don't release drivers for their specific phone and the technology inside. my droid sucks. it just sucks overall. it shuts off, crashes, has terrible sound quality. though it can be fixed a little bit with updates. i feel that phone companies may be wanting google to do all the fine work.

if you make a product you have to support it. some companies may be realizing they have to do this and are jumping the bandwagon. if you have to make drivers for an os. why not just make your own? google did it, nokia did, intel did. why not us?

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Actually, I am betting that the Nexus1 is not being carried bacuase GOOGLE would not let Verizon gimp that phone out like they tend to do to their phones. Two immediate examples that come to mind:-Verizon wants to charge for tethering on the Droid.-Verizon nerfed the memory on the Touch Pro by 25% as compared to the non-verizon models.Google's goal with the Nexus1 is to have an unencumbered Android phone so everyone can see how great it is. Gimping the Nexus1 to the point that Verizon would carry it sort of defeats the purpose.The decision has NOTHING to do with the Incredible or with Android in general, it is specifically about Verizon wanting to control their phones for maximum profits.[/citation]

I doubt that. If they influenced a ram reduction in one of their phones it was probably because of the subsidizing cost agreement with the manufacturer.

I don't know about Verizon's final policy on tethering. I know that they just reduced the prices on their Palm Pro devices while at the same time making their Wi-Fi tethering free. It may again be related to a subsidizing agreement and not actually them trying to gouge you.

And actually from what I've read so far Google actually favors the Driod Incredible over the Nexus One and that might actually be related to the 3G issues that the nexus One has been having. I could see Verizon rejecting the Nexus One because of those 3G issues especially with the ad campaign they have been waging to claim being the top 3G network for stability and coverage.

G

Yeah, as if big business would give a rat's ass about the market development when there's money involved. :rolleyes:

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]As long as the convicted monopolist MS does not gain ultimate control I am OK. Competition and a free market is always best.[/citation]

Whether convicted or not, all of these major companies would happily exercise a monopoly if the law would allow it, and Google is no exception. They would happily take over the world, if the pesky government wasn't getting in their way. Seems silly to single out Microsoft, when all of the big players show very, very clear anti-competitive tendencies.

jkeopka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Wow I don't know about this article.
Everywhere I look people are either talking about the iPhone or Android, and it seems Android is getting increasingly more support. I am going to say I think android is going to get more and more popular. In my opinion its the best OS for smartphones, and it seems to just get better and better. While it is lacking in refinement in some areas it is dramatically more adaptable than iPhone OS, and software support (App store and SDK) support seems to be growing every day. I am going to have to raise the BS flag on this article.

vkelman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I'm waiting to see what HP comes up with now that it has WebOS... I prefer WebOS to all of them.[/citation]

Every reviewer telling us that WebOS is great, outstanding, etc. It's only Palm management group sucked, and their hardware wasn't too good either. So, I agree, it's really interesting to see what will be results of palm acquisition by HP.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
if the problem is manufacturers, Google will have do their own... tough one (I presume)
if the problem is carriers, go unlocked as all mobiles should be

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]you are so wrong buddy...people want iphone!!![/citation]
I'm a people and I want Android.

Of course, what I really want is an Android OS phone with a BB Tour style keyboard and that new BB optical track (the Droid keyboard is kinda cheap feeling with its one piece overlay).

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
It might have some truth to it. Us users at sprint are still waiting for 2.1 on our heroes but its not even on their radar. I believe sprint has made that move towards android. By the time sprint updates my phone, 2.2 will be out and also windows 7 phones will too. I liked android but I feel like it was a gimmick just like the wii. It was cool for a hot second but that hot second has been long over. Cant wait for win7 phones to drop.

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Sorry, have to cut the bullshit and say Google is liberating people who buy phones everywhere.

"Seems silly to single out Microsoft, when all of the big players show very, very clear anti-competitive tendencies."
Very important to note that 9% is a very small statistic.

G

Ridiculous article says this article is ridiculous and has no basis just a shocking title.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Ironically, the article right above this in Tom's listing is "HTC Expecting to Make Big Bucks Due to Android". Making big bucks by... dropping the platform? Somebody's out of whack, and I don't think it's HTC.

Canizorro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
This is an completely false and horrible article. Damn this is bad journalism. Or bad blogging... whatever this guy is. Bad bad bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.