Are Phone Manufacturers ''Abandoning'' Android?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canizorro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
This is an completely false and horrible article. Damn this is bad journalism. Or bad blogging... whatever this person is. Bad bad bad.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
May the best OS win.

Simple as that.

I wish the US had an open phone system. It would be great to have my CDMA/GMA/IDEN/3G/EDGE/4Gwimax unlocked phone able to switch to whatever carrier it had transmitters for...

G

"It would be great to have my CDMA/GMA/IDEN/3G/EDGE/4Gwimax unlocked phone able to switch to whatever carrier it had transmitters for..."

That's actually one of the purposes of 4G ABC ("Always Best Connected"), it's not all about radio technology alone. You can probably Google up some details if you're interested.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I'm a people and I want Android.Of course, what I really want is an Android OS phone with a BB Tour style keyboard and that new BB optical track (the Droid keyboard is kinda cheap feeling with its one piece overlay).[/citation]

ha ha ha, ok jukes aside. the iPhone is a really nice piece of technology not to mention it's the best at what it does. Wait until the new iPhone comes out, it will do it even better

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I love how one sided TH can be at times. Fact Symbian OS is still the leading phone OS. Fact Iphone sales are down since the N1 and Droid was introduced(based on the fact that the 2.1OS is more stable and more feature rich with Android app market growing). Fact Androidgamers is reporting 2-3 new/ported games per day to Android. Fact 15 new Android phones are planned by years end including N2 which will run the new dual core motorola processor, and 2 more that will use the Nvidia Tegra. Fact 5 total Android slate/pad/netbooks will be launched by summer.

With all that Android shows absolutely no signs of companies pulling away.

Companies like Motorola are testing Google by shifting the OS away from it's proprietary specs, and including third party core apps. Seeing how this will not be allowed with WP7S and is currently not allowed in the Iphone it gives Android the upper hand by being the only customizable/flexible smartphone OS on the market and that puts Android in a very respectable position.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ha ha ha, ok jukes aside. the iPhone is a really nice piece of technology not to mention it's the best at what it does. Wait until the new iPhone comes out, it will do it even better[/citation]
'The best' is subjective and varies from person to person. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's 'the best' for everyone.

For me, the iPhone is unable to access my company's Exchange server because the IT dept here has blocked them (something about the iPhone pinging too often and generating issues and security concerns - I'm half convinced our servers are held together with baling wire and wishful thinking but that's a whole other issue) but my BB Tour works just fine. I also happen to hate touchscreen keyboards with a fiery vengeance, so once again, the BB is what I would consider 'best' for me.

Just like OSX is 'the best' for some people, Win7/XP is 'the best' for others and Linux is 'the best' for the rest.

IXfearlessXI

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Personally I do likethis because I am not a fan of Google and believe they are over powered already. I am also for giving them less power; however I do own the Droid for Verizon and even with my hate for Google I love my phone. It still has some bugs, but its like anything else manufactorers release today. I wish less people used Google for a search engine they have a complete domination going on in that department.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]IXfearlessXI[/nom]I wish less people used Google for a search engine they have a complete domination going on in that department.[/citation]

Yes people should use inferior search engines just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

G

The author should stick to subjects he understands. This is nothing more than a mass of random words arranged into a page full of disinformation. Verizon was never going to carry the Nexus One - it said that from day one. Google was planning to sell a Verizon compatible version, but it was never to be sold by Verizon stores. Now that Verizon has a device that trumps the N1 in most every way, Google realized it would be a waste of money to offer it.

The Microsoft/HTC deal has nothing to do with copyrights, it is about patents. While the patents covered by the deal were not disclosed, Microsoft said the following day that it had "concerns" about Android regarding its patent portfolio, so it is not a stretch to guess that the HTC deal might have something to do with those concerns. But it certainly doesn't show a move from Android by HTC.

This story is little more than an attempt to create drama where it isn't. Sad.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Article is uninformed big time. It could of just as easily read "companies are moving away from Android to switch to Android" and make the same conclusions. Android is picking up steam, over here in South Korea (mobile phone meca of the world) Android has been a pretty smash hit.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm not sure about the whole "moving away" part, but I do like the Motorola Milestone, that's for sure. It's the only smartphone I'm considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.