Solved! Are pirated VPNs usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosenaaron

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Or for old versions the FBI/any intelligence agency already knows algorithm of how the program "jumps" to different locations so they get your IP easily.

Or is it still not worth it for the FBI/CIA to investigate since ISP IPs are dynamic and internal IPs change and you could just keep all torrented data on a HDD that you toss when they show up.

Not advocating for the use of pirating software just want to know if the CIA has people (I think so) that probably download the same torrented VPNs and reverse engineer them for the agency, hence why VPNs on pirating sites have all different versions, clearly they have to keep updating the VPN.

Solution
it has already been shown that most of the vpn's can easily match up the traffic the authorities are interested in to the ip address that asked for it. they base it on time stamps and other data they keep track of.

dynamic ip's and so on mean nothing. in the end your ip address is known to someone in the chain so the data you request can get to you. can't get a letter in the mail without an address on it, web traffic works the same way. you can try to disguise it all you want but in the end your address is still know by someone and that someone is always willing to give you up when asked by the cops of any kind.

many of them claim to not maintain any records but have helped match people to their traffic anyway. nothing is foolproof...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Why are you concerned about this? Why would the CIA or NSA care if you (or anyone) has pirated content or is using pirated VPN software? Don't you think they might have other things to worry about?

Seems you may be overthinking this a bit.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
it has already been shown that most of the vpn's can easily match up the traffic the authorities are interested in to the ip address that asked for it. they base it on time stamps and other data they keep track of.

dynamic ip's and so on mean nothing. in the end your ip address is known to someone in the chain so the data you request can get to you. can't get a letter in the mail without an address on it, web traffic works the same way. you can try to disguise it all you want but in the end your address is still know by someone and that someone is always willing to give you up when asked by the cops of any kind.

many of them claim to not maintain any records but have helped match people to their traffic anyway. nothing is foolproof nor secure on the web. does not matter how you got the vpn, your traffic is still tied to your ip address either way. that's how the web works and no way to change it. do yourself a favor and just don't pirate stuff. nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything wrong.

Solution
unless your selling small arms, ammo, and many other illegal activities including drugs, the government doesn't care about you using VPN, or TOR.
I use VPN and TOR for decade now and never had a cia /fbi agent visit to ask me how is my secure networked connection to my office going.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

One caveat - this is dependent on your jurisdiction. If your country is in the category traditionally known as "free", shouldn't be a problem. If it isn't.... quite a few Middle Eastern countries, for instance, have fairly strict penalties for the act of even using one.

As for paranoia regarding VPNs, honestly, I'd be more frightened that the VPN is compromised at the point of software if it's cracked or modded. I mean, someone has made undescribed, undocumented changes to the gate of entry.... that's not something I would trust for any level of security.

Well, since he mentioned FBI/CIA, I'd think he was specifically referring to the category known as "free".

Even so, it seems to me the simpler resolution would be to simply not download or store data or files that are pirated or are illegal. Problem solved. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.