Are there detrimental effects to turning your laptop into an impromptu desktop PC?

Paperboats

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Let's say I have a laptop and I hook up a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, speakers and also a cooler pad and gamepad for good measure. Most of those USBs are probably wireless and I probably need to add in a USB hub to accomodate any extra port demands.

So, will keeping this setup cause any detrimental effects on the laptop?

Laptops aren't exactly designed for such use so it would be nice to know for sure.

sizzling

Distinguished
Having a laptop permanently plugged in and the battery always at 100% does shorten the life of the battery. I have seen some laptops come with software where in this situation you can tell the charger only to charge up to 60% or 80% but its not very common they supply this.

Yes, that's about the only thing that will suffer if running a laptop off the mains for extended periods- - the battery.

Either ignore that (you probably won't be needing it anyway if laptop is going to stay put) or remove the battery when it's fully charged. Just stick it back in, say, every 3 months to top it up just in case you may need it one day.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Well, they sorta are. They aren't designed to be used on laps. They can suffocate and die in that environment. You are welcome to Charge the battery to 100% and remove it.

My Acer Predator 21 loves being taken for long walks along the beach over to Starbucks. After our morning Joe we take a mile walk over to the library where he is usually given odd stares. We've still not figured out why that is. I am also getting ripped. Disclaimer - I don't own that laptop.

Paperboats

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Since it's going to be bound by a set of PC peripherals at one place, mobility is largely negligible and along that line battery life as well. The laptop in question also uses an NVIDIA mobile GPU and for a while now those have a issue where even if you set the laptop to High Performance, FPS while gaming unplugged drops regardless.

But that's besides the topic at hand.

If battery life really is the only rub to this setup then that's manageable. My one initial concern are all those permanently connected devices doing something to the laptop but comforting to know it is a non-issue so far.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I think the biggest hurdle is buying the laptop. So many businesses slap the word gaming within their product's name that gaming really doesn't mean gaming anymore. It's now simply a marketing term. The only time it means anything is when the hardware within is on par or exceeds the system requirements of the best AAA titles today has to offer. You mentioned the dedicated GPU. That's an essential component. How many USB connections? Are they the latest and fastest? How large is the boot drive? Can it handle an additional internal drive? 16GB RAM?

Research is key when shopping for a laptop dedicated to gaming.

Paperboats

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
This isn't a rig setup I wish to have rather I'm forced into it. I already have the laptop but it has screen problems. I have an extra monitor lying around I might as well make use of and basically this impromptu PC idea sprung forth from that. Being doubly sure by asking around if said setup has kinks or not.