Are there laptops around that use triple/quad channel RAM?

JQuinn1980

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Hi,
I'm just wondering if there are any laptops yet that use triple/quad-channel RAM. I haven't seen any around, but that doesn't mean they don't exist... at least not yet. Does anyone know know, if they're not around yet, approximately when they might be around?
Thanks.
-J

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

The cpu must support that ram.

Only cpus which support that type of ram are high power desktop cpus (very high power consumption).

The RAM doesn't matter. It's the chipset and CPU's ability to address and process more than two channels. Tri and Quad channel boards still use DDR SDRAM.

Not many desktop boards even support it, let alone laptops. The demand isn't there, the practical application/performance vs dual channel is arguable, and as far as I know, there is not a lot of support/market penetration for it still.

I don't believe there are any laptop boards that currently support tri+ channel memory configs, as the mobile chipsets don't support it (nor do current Ivy Bridge CPUs address anything beyond two channels).

JQuinn1980

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Ah, I see. I was told by someone apparently knowledgeable that quad channel had a big advantage over dual. Thanks for letting me know.

I may get a laptop then, as mobility is almost as important as power...

It definitely has the potential to, but with modern CPUs, the capability is still bottlenecked. Haswell I believe is suppose to be more efficient in how it addresses memory, but not to the point where you will begin seeing tri and quad channel boards (let alone laptop boards) stop popping up everywhere. :) It might be more viable on a eATX board, with dual processors though.