Frankie_Xenon

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I've been looking to buy speakers for my TV but I'm uncertain on which type of speakers to buy. It seems as if certain speakers are made for TV environment meanwhile these kind of small speakers are made for person computer space.

I found this after a while of searching, and it seem to fit all of my needs. But im not sure if its good for a home theater system type of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Meanwhile, i found these speakers that acutally say home theater system.

http://www.amazon.com/Theater-Solutions-TS511-Surround-Entertainment/dp/B003ZPQ9LQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1448569198&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A3000-11000%2Cp_72%3A1248880011

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Audio-AA5817-Surround-Entertainment/dp/B00KRIXQL0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

kanewolf

Judicious
The types of input connections is the big difference. The Logitech has inputs for PC type connections. The two "home theater" systems have multiple inputs to hook multiple devices, but they are stereo inputs only. I would look for a speaker system that has an optical or coax input. Those are the most common multi-channel output on TVs.

Frankie_Xenon

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Are any of the speakers that I've listed any good? I'm not very familiar with audio hardware

the z506 is not bad value for the money however as was stated before it uses 3x 3.5mm connections for audio which is not directly compatible with most sources of audio on the home theater end of things. 5.1 hdmi/optical audio extractors can be used to make it compatible though this is added expense.

never heard of the brand of home theater you listed. my guess would be generic cheap junk. they might sound decent although i'd expect limited features and some quirks/problems.

you need to be careful of cheap HTIB units (home theater in a box) as many of the cheaper ones (and even some not so cheap ones) do not accept 5.1 input even if they support the correct types of ports. its a common problem with posts on here almost every day about why 5.1 sound doesnt work on such units and the answer is that depending on the unit you buy 5.1 support from any source other than the included dvd player is really hit or miss. some support 5.1 over hdmi input, optical input or coax input (your source [tv, etc] would need to support 5.1 over that medium as well for it to work).

if you had more of a budget, the monoprice 10565 paired up with a receiver is a good $350-400 choice.
for greater than $100 but less than $400 you're likely looking at a HTIB from a more reliable and mainstream vendor but you will want to check that it supports 5.1 over an input method your tv or sources have as an output.

Frankie_Xenon

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

So im guessing that if i want a real home theater setup, i better spend more than 100? Is there anything on sale right now under 100 that you would recommend? Im seeing all of these home systems above 120 most of the times.

Besides the logitech ones.