Are these normal temps for an AMD laptop?

EV_Creeper

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Ok guys, here's the thing.
A week ago or so I made a thread asking for which temperatures should I target on a PC build. From what I've understood, below 80°C is OK and won't damage my components. That's good there. However, this was for my intel build, and temperatures within a case I think are different from the ones you should get in a laptop. I also heard that AMD processors and APUs generate much more heat than Intel's CPUs, but I don't believe this at 100%, so I have to ask

While I get the final part of the money for my build, I am playing Cities Skylines on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion, AMD A6-4400M APU. Cities Skylines is a highly CPU-bound game, and it gets to 17 FPS with everything on low but textures on high.

While I was playing, I plugged in a monitor to the laptop, plugged in a cooler pad, and ran MSI afterburner for info about CPU usage, temps, and clocks. I noticed that HWInfo64 tells me 3 different temps, HWMonitor tells me 4, and MSI afterburner on the main page tells me just one

While gaming, CPU usage is almost always at 100%, and temperatures are like these
CPU 0: 82°C
HGST: 54°C (I believe this is the HDD)
GPU Thermal Diode: 65°C
And HWmonitor tells me another one, which I think is bugged
CPU 0 Package: 127°C

MSI afterburner's main page gives me the same temps I can read on GPU Thermal diode.

By the way, I downloaded AMD Overdrive and disabled turbo cores to see if it helped with the temperatures. Only the CPU 0 went down to 78°C, and the game performed the same.

Which of these different temperatures should I be more worried about? And what temperature should be the maximum possible in order not to overheat the laptop?
Are AMD's APUs usually hotter than Intel's CPUs, and therefore more heat resistant?

PS: Can someone explain me why is there a 10°C difference between CPU 0 and GPU Thermal diode? As far as I understand in an APU these are both in the same place.

Andrew Murdoch

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
1: 17fps means your laptop is struggling as it is so CPU intensive.
2: Hwmonitor is fine to use, 127c is probably a ghost reading. MSI Afterburner only tells you the GPU temp.
3: CPU temp is a bit high, but that could be down to the game thrashing it.
4: Cpu 0 and gpu thermal diode might have sensors placed several inches from each other while still being the same APU.

Andrew Murdoch

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
The cpu temp is at the upper limit of what could be considered safe. Cooler is better obviously but you will be ok.

Try a can of compressed air to clean out all the laptop vents. Make sure you give it a good dusting as it can really get stuck in there and dust can raise temps quite quickly if compacted.

EV_Creeper

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Oh, that's a relief. I will try that, thank you very much.

EV_Creeper

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
OK, I want to share a quick solution I figured out on my own. TURN OFF HP Cool sense. Right now I keep playing this game, now with 68.9°C on 3.2GHz turbo, with CPU usage of 87%. Tomorrow I'll try to buy the compressed air and let you know about the temps.