Are these programs worth it? (Eraser/SDelete)

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I like to completely get rid of files I don't need anymore and I've recently learned that even if you "permanently delete" files from your recycling bin, the data is still somewhere in your HDD. Is it worth getting Eraser or SDelete or do they not really make a difference? Thanks in advance :)

Solution
As far as I know it only matters if you think someone is going to try to hack and steal your files. Deleting them permanently doesn't offer any kind of performance gains. Many HDD manufactures offer free software that will perform a low level format of the entire drive. This effectively does the same thing and is good if you plan to donate/sell your PC.

As for SSD I'm not sure if TRIM actually removes that data. Hopefully someone else can clarify.

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
As far as I know it only matters if you think someone is going to try to hack and steal your files. Deleting them permanently doesn't offer any kind of performance gains. Many HDD manufactures offer free software that will perform a low level format of the entire drive. This effectively does the same thing and is good if you plan to donate/sell your PC.

As for SSD I'm not sure if TRIM actually removes that data. Hopefully someone else can clarify.

Solution

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

OK, so I'll just stick with deleting them normally.