Are these screen brightness nits number correct?

Aug 18, 2018
Ran across this article and it starts out by saying 300 nits is very bright yet the brightest in the list is 209? I read lots of reviews on Notebookcheck and typically all the units they review are in the 175-275 range. These numbers look very low to me. Granted I might not be comparing exact models, but an HP Envy 17 on notebookcheck review was showing average 330 nits and 209 here? Same with most of the models they listed.

They must have used a different test - I'd trust notebookcheck way more though but I suppose this is good for relative comparison?

Solution
I actually consider 300 nits to be "average"; when looking for a laptop that is generally the minimum nits I want. I considered 400 nits to be bright. I have noticed what seems to be a trend in the past couple of years where moderately priced laptops are shipping with dimmer screens; in the 240 nits to 270 nits range. Examples would be the Lenovo Legion Y530 and Dell G3/G5 laptops. That is not a good trend.

I tend to trust Notebookcheck.net. I do not know anything about nits measuring techniques so I can't really offer a possible reason for the discrepancy.
I actually consider 300 nits to be "average"; when looking for a laptop that is generally the minimum nits I want. I considered 400 nits to be bright. I have noticed what seems to be a trend in the past couple of years where moderately priced laptops are shipping with dimmer screens; in the 240 nits to 270 nits range. Examples would be the Lenovo Legion Y530 and Dell G3/G5 laptops. That is not a good trend.

I tend to trust Notebookcheck.net. I do not know anything about nits measuring techniques so I can't really offer a possible reason for the discrepancy.

Solution