Are Windows 8.1's Security Improvements Worth the Upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
"Sad thing is, and they wont admit this, but the majority of those people who complain about Metro and praise the start menu probably rarely use the start menu."

I use the start menu daily what are you talking about.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Until there is a compelling reason to no longer use Win 7, I see no reason to give MS NZD450. Now, if one of you win 8 zealots wants me to agree with you that win 8 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, give me an unrestricted license for Win 8.1 and I'll give it a good test.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
How does this business model still work?

On my Android phone I get the latest OS version free of charge.

On my Ubuntu desktop I get the latest OS version free of charge and I also have the ability to adjust the UI however I see fit.

On my Chromebook I get the latest OS version free of charge.

On iOS, you get upgraded to the latest OS version free of charge.

On OSX you get the latest version free of charge.

On a Windows based PC or tablet you have to shell out $100+ to get the latest version.

Anyone seeing the odd man out here?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Im sticking with Windows 7x64. I have windows 8.1X64 on a test machine and the only reason I like it is having the built in ability to mount ISO files so I no linger have to use virtual clone drive and the ability to have a task taskbar on each monitor that will only show the windows on that monitor. The revamped Task Manager is also good.

Other that that, I have no need for it and will wait for Windows 9. Hopefully by then Microsoft will learn to rip out the dumb Metro interface and bring back the start menu instead of forcing people to use a start screen.

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I don't understand how Microsoft can get away with admitting they have security flaws in o/s' they still support, but only make an attempt to take preventive measures to fix them in the newest version.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
signothorn you are a very smart man.

It's all about money. When your badly antiquated business model revolves around selling an operating system for large sums of money, you need to have your "new" products be "better" in some way than the old. Windows 8 didn't improve a whole lot in useful ways, so now they are highlighting it's security advantages over their own "supported" products as shady and ridiculous as that sounds. Microshafted?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
@JD88

You only get Android upgrades if you have a Nexus or root your phone and it is free because Google makes money on ads

Ubuntu is based on Linux so they can't charge for the OS, support yes but not the OS itself.

Chromebook is the same as Android makes money from ads.

iOS is a phone OS so they make money from hardware and ads (Apple has a company for hat too).

OS X is funded by marketplace sales and the price of the hardware, that is where Apple makes money and why they can afford to give away Service Packs (what most actually are BTW).

Microsoft on the other hand is different, they don't sell hardware, they don't make money by showing ads everywhere and they are not a non-profit organization so selling the software is their only way of making money.

Not all companies make money or do business in the same way, if Google was not a search and ad company they would be selling Android and ChromeOS just like MS is. Don't assume that just because you don't understand how things work for a specific company that what they do is wrong.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
signothorn you are a very smart man.

It's all about money. When your badly antiquated business model revolves around selling an operating system for large sums of money, you need to have your "new" products be "better" in some way than the old. Windows 8 didn't improve a whole lot in useful ways, so now they are highlighting it's security advantages over their own "supported" products as shady and ridiculous as that sounds. Microshafted?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Camikazi, all you've done is explain why those operating systems exist. Yeah Microsoft needs those sales to make money. My point is that business model is being rendered obsolete as this model simply doesn't work now that Microsoft is starting to have a hard time showing clear advantages over the free competition or even it's own Windows 7 platform. Pushing local app compatibility only goes so far as we transition into web bases services.

Microsoft is going to start having a real hard time convincing people its operating system is worth the cost when most consumers are used to free upgrades on every other device they use.

Assuming MS doesn't make money in the same ways Google and Apple do is also flawed. Bing and Internet Explorer are heavily integrated into Windows. Also, Microsoft is releasing a lot of hardware of its own. Will all those Surface customers have to pay for Windows 9 when it comes out? If not, what will OEM partners think about that?

All of this is even further multiplied by the fact that Microsoft refuses to bring it's older and still supported operating systems up to the same level of security and support as it's most recent products.

It's like Microsoft is trying so hard to be like Google and Apple, but they can't quite kick the need for OS revenue.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Love Windows 8.1 and will never go back to Windows 7. Adios Windows 7. You were a great and very functional Windows version over the years.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
JD88, I would and likely millions of other people too, would gladly pay for a product where we use it and don't get bombarded with ads or worry our personal data is being horse traded, in order to bombard us with ads. As the margin between OS functionality grows smaller then consumer data safety becomes more important, not less, so as Android and Chrome gain traction the amount of Ad revenue coming in now grossly exceeds the amount of money required to create and maintain it. If OSs were TV, then Windows would be the BBC in the UK, while anything made by Google is like Fox, carpet-bombing you with adverts till your eyes bleed whilst spying on your every online move and raping the data trail and slave trading the data to the highest bidder.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Love Windows 8.1 and will never go back to Windows 7. Adios Windows 7. You were a great and very functional Windows version over the years.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
back_by_demand, No matter what web browser on what operating system you are using, you see exactly the same number of ads. They all lead to the same web.

One is no more "bombarded" on Chrome OS or Android than they are on Windows. Ads only appear on the web or within free apps just like they do on Windows.

Even if Google knows a lot about you, the only difference is that the ads are tailored to your interests. You don't see more of them. I haven't seen an ad on my Chromebook or Android phone for over a year thanks to adblock. A feature that is not available on Windows Phone or Windows RT btw.

Stop spreading misinformation.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
After having been one of the win 7 Ultimate users bagging the crap out of win 8, My main ssd drive died(old age one of the first) so decided to take the plunge and install win 8.1 on new drive. Changed my mind 180 degrees, 8.1 is awesome!
I have mine set up as win 7 virtually none of that metro interface on my machine. Very impressed with 8.1 it is way faster also first time I have never had to use a driver disc setting up new pc as it detected everything properly, Never had that happen in all my years, Used to be always one or two things you had to get off motherboard disc to get everything working, And this pc isn't average joe's it's enthusiast sli rig with top end parts, So very happy win 8.1 set everything up on its own. Other things I like are no need for some of the 3rd party software just to view things for example, pdf's, video codecs,email etc etc It all just works. So for all you people on the border about upgrading give it a go it's not bad after all, There is no need for touch screen or using the metro start screen at all once you done a few setting changes, Mine boots straight to desktop, The new(well old really) start button has everything you need on it more than windows 7 in my opinion. If you are even lazier like me make a shortcut or macro on keyboard for 1 key press to shutdown or reboot pc. So if you are looking at building a new pc soon I highly recommend getting 8.1 and doing fresh install, If not stick with win 7 until prices of new OS drop even more.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
JD88, Microsoft has a traditional business model. That's not necessarily a bad thing, you know. You make a product, you sell a product. Google has brainwashed countless mindless sheep into thinking they give stuff away for free. Nothing is free, and only a fool would think otherwise. 70+% of their revenue is advertising. Their real product is YOU and your information.

For starters you do realize that Google scans all emails that touch their servers, right? They then deliver ads based on the content of your emails, and searches, at a minimum. They track where you go online. They take your information (location, age, gender, occupation, keywords, searches, what sites you visit, product info, anything else they've gathered) and use it to target ads at you and sell the info to anyone interested. Even if you use adblockers, you're just not seeing the results of their efforts as you browse.

Sadly, thanks to the efforts of Facebook, Google, et al, a lot of people have a diminished sense of privacy and have been trained to put everything online. Others simply are unaware of such activities and use the devices in blissful ignorance, having not the slightest idea how Google became so rich off them. So in the end a lot of people don't even seem to mind being tracked, spied upon, and having their information sold. After all, who can argue with FREE!

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Alex, you're missing the point. Regardless of what you think of Google's business model, the vast majority of people use Android or iOS in which updates are free and happen often. Why would they expect anything less from MS products?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
can you people quit droning on and on about the "metro" UI , its old argument that has no merit, you can set win 8 to load directly to desk top and NEVER see the Metro UI. and even if you do make use of it, it DOES NOT require a touch screen device to navigate it quickly.

now if you just absolutely hate change sure go with win7, but face it change is inevitable. I was bound and determined to hate this OS at frist myself , I treid it on my sister's tablet and figured what they heck i'l try it on my new pc , and so far I find 90% of the "problems" people cry about the most are not really problems at all. That's not to say that the OS doesn't have any problem (trust me I got my own issues with win 8 and 8.1) but people are focusing on the WRONG problems with the OS. the metro UI is the MOST minor issue with win 8 and 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.