Are Windows 8.1's Security Improvements Worth the Upgrade?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2013
Only Geeks, Gamers and social app junkies can possibly like windows 8 or 8.1. The rest of us are waiting for MS to relent, or for another new completely different software company to take up the slack of 450 million XP users and about 650 million Win 7 users. Yup, a billion computer users are waiting for the nuts at MS to crack and be delivered to a nuthouse of their choosing.
One of the great differences that new software company will have to show is not so much the "technical prowess", but rather "listening to customers".
There are numerous basic computing functions that no longer work in win 8, and if you do not know what they are then that just proves that you are one of the three above. There are easily 20 items that need to get fixed.

What are these items ? Ask yourself, what could I do in XP or Win 7, and now no longer can do in WIN 8, and you got your answer. Taking value AWAY from an OS is not and will never be a SELLING POINT. Whatever value was added, does not make up for it.

Get it in your head that different people use computers for different things in different ways.

Once again, making both the "Desktop customer" and the "Touchtop customer" happy could easily be achieved by Microsoft, if they only figured out that there is MORE THAN JUST ONE TYPE OF CUSTOMER. I doubt that they can see that, because one would have to blind and deaf not to see that. I truly believe that these people at Microsoft have it as their goal to make an upgrade AS DIFFICULT AS POSSIBLE.

It is beyond any reasonable person's understanding WHY they do this.

gmax9000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I went straight to the comments! I have tried windows 8 and 8.1 and I think I'll be sticking with windows 7 for a while.

das_stig

Distinguished
What annoys me, is a PC with a W8 build can install all its drivers, if you can find them and just works, stick W81 on it, same drivers, constantly moaning about drivers missing or not installed and when it does install them on next reboot its back, If W8=WinME, then W81=Vista with bells one and W7=XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.