Army UAV Makes First Confirmed Kills

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

septagent

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Funny that UAV's have been used for many years. They've even carried missles for years and used them against oponents for years. I don't know why everyone treats this "news" as so revolutionary.

G

does anyone think full circle with this stuff?
as soon as THEY create UAVs it all becomes robotic.
and then.... (if I have to complete this for you then you won't understand where I'm going anyways)

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
e60 said:

i always thought using UAV's or any remote controlled unit was against the so called "rules of war" as one side doesn't take any accusal casualties

So is hiding in the civilian populace, dressing up like women, using women and children like human shields. If these scum didn't cower like p*ssies, we'd have wiped them all off the face of the planet in 5 days. So don't talk to me about asymmetrical warfare when they're violating every single Geneva convention while we're trying to adhere to it as much as possible.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
demonhorde:

Most of the new technologies you're using (including this here internet and cell phones) were created initially for military purposes. Necessity is the mother of invention. And I don't find it sad - the more technology we have, the better to target scumbags as opposed to civilians. Hey, if they stopped planting IED's and hiding among women and children, we wouldn't need this sophistication, we'd just shoot them dead the old fashioned way. But they chose the cowardly path.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]This is great news. Anything that helps eliminate extremists, determined to harm others in the name of their perverted religion.[/citation]

Well at least the people who are proponents of the technology religion don't go to extremes to kill people... No wait...

Rotab3D

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
It's just amazing how we give ourselves the right to judge other people in other countries and calling them terrorists or extremists just by watching CNN ...

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]Current US army price for an Iraqi civillian killed is on average $2500 www.inthesetimes.com.So i'd say the price of a life is ~$2500, who am I to argue with the Pentagon?[/citation]

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]A soldier takes gunfire, gets injured.Medical bills, $100,000.Damaged equipment, $1000.Trip to and from foriegn land including expenses for housing/food/medical care, $10,000.Mental and physical for life, $100,000.Soldier dies.Life insurance for his family left behind, $100,000,000.Funeral costs, flag, burial clothing, $10,000.Medal of honor/valor or what have you, $10 each.There's a lot of things in life money can't buy...But there's an actual monetary value given to each American soldier's life.[/citation]

WOW, that's quite a discrepancy between the two estimates. I didn't realize there's some sort of foreign exchange rate converting between the two. I wonder if its because one is a soldier and one is a civilian, or is it because of the nationality...

I suppose it could be possible that the value of human life just appreciated to the high heavens in the ~9 hours between the two posts... =p

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jwl3[/nom]demonhorde:Most of the new technologies you're using (including this here internet and cell phones) were created initially for military purposes. Necessity is the mother of invention. And I don't find it sad - the more technology we have, the better to target scumbags as opposed to civilians. Hey, if they stopped planting IED's and hiding among women and children, we wouldn't need this sophistication, we'd just shoot them dead the old fashioned way. But they chose the cowardly path.[/citation]

what i find sad my good jarhead friend :), is the fact that humans have to kill other humans period, but now that you mention it, it is rather sad that most our tech comes from war machines. and well not all technologgy ws created for /durring war , many modern things were done at peice time by private inventors , such as AC based electricty created by Tesla, or the light bulbs , Tv's, VCRs, DVDs, there is actually quite a large chunk of technology developed with out the false Necessities of war to generate them.

"war is not nessicary , it is just human's favorite past time"

can't rember who said that quote but it is by far the truest statement i have ever read.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
oh and cell phones were NOT an invention of war , i saw a show on them on the history channel guy that came up with the idea got the idea from star Trek and he had NOTHING to do with military .... however where you get your info crossed is the fact he sold his idea to a military contractor for the royalties on it for x number of years , so while a military contractor manufactured the first cell phones IT WAS NOT INVENTED BY THE MILITARY, all the tech was soley invented by this one man, whose intentions were NOT for war but for general market :p

zuesacuatl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I have a nephew in Iraq, I worry for him daily, if technology can help to ensure that he will come home safely, then so be it. So be it for all the men and women following their orders over seas, protect the lives of our soldiers any way possible, just do not abuse the power that technology can bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.