Artist Creates Portraits With iPad Brushes App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hebe, what is special about it is that on a cheap, light, portable device an artist has found a way to make some pretty impressive art with just his fingers and a $10 program. Being able to create this kind of art in such a way at this pricepoint is pretty new. Tsnorquist, your Wacom doesn't do it at half the cost of an iPad because you need a PC or a Mac to be able to use it with, that pushes the price to (easily) double that of an iPad, and is nowhere near as portable. icepick314, grow up and get over the name, and show me your etch-a-sketch art that is better than this.
_cubase_, how can you do that on a wacom without using a screen? The cintiq is available but is over three times the cost of the iPad. Didymus03, it sounds like you have a nice setup with your tablet PC, but how much did it cost? I can't find one for less that twice the cost of an iPad.

Everyone seems so jaded, this is pretty amazing, you didn't see anything like this without a stylus and a lot more cost until just this year.

The ipad doesn't do everything, but it is actually pretty amazing. I'm waiting for a version with a higher DPI screen and a camera so my kids can videocall with their grandmother and their cousins.

But at the price-point, size, weight and battery life, and being virus and malware free, I haven't seen anything that really competes yet.
Full tablet PCs are great if you want all of what they do, but for many applications that extra functionality is actually a detriment, it gets in the way and bogs things down. The iPad is great for a lot of people, and it doesn't make people who buy it stupid or uninformed or fanboys. It just means it suits their needs better than any other device at the moment. It may not suit yours, so don't buy one, but to hate one or the company that make it is pointless.

kohvitass

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
damn, should have sticked an apple logo on my touchscreen laptop....then the images i made in boring german classes would have been called Revolutionary and Magical Pieces of Art.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
@nikonman24

iPads are what - $600 to $800 price range? HP consumer tablet PCs are $900+, and even the $900 model has a touch screen.

I cracked my $900 TX2120US screen and the HP web site listed a replacement part that turned out to be only the LCD. I tried to put the digitizer behind the new LCD, but it didn't go to the edges and was permanently off by 1/4". *sigh*

My solution? I went to amazon and spent $250 on an old (2004) toshiba M200. This particular model was a lowly 1.5 GHz cpu, 1400x1050 resolution non-touch screen, 1 GB ram, and XP tablet edition. I have Painter 11, but you can get a free version of Artrage (though there is a $20, $40, and $80 version if I recall correctly - and it presents a very natural way of drawing, at least to most traditional artists).

Yes, its heavier and has less battery life than the iPad. However, using an iPad for digital art is like using an original Asus EEE PC for writing software... you can do it if you really want to, but it is definitely the wrong tool for the job!

So, my point is this - if you want to get into digital art, all you need is a free program and a used $250-$500 tablet pc... and then use the extra money to get something like a Tekkeon universal battery. Its not as light as an iPad, but its much lighter than carrying around a full stock of art supplies (sketchbook, chalks, pastels, paints, charcoal, conte, canvas, watercolors, and so forth).

My other point is this - I said everyone would criticize the iPad until it was released, and then everyone would gobble it up and sensationalize it. To us who have used tablet PCs in the past, we see the device for what it is... the "netbook" of the tablet pc world. How many people are called stupid for trying to use a netbook where a tablet should be used? Well, that's what a digital artist would say about a person using an iPad over a tablet PC (even an old used one).

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]SevenVirtues[/nom]Why why why do people think that just because something is done on an iPad/iPhone/iPod it is new or amazing? People have been doing portraits with similar software on PCs for years.[/citation]
Because it has a bitten Apple on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.