Aser Aspire, battery not recognized

nike 11

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hello
1. I have an Acer Aspire that needed the hard drive replaced.
When I got the computer back it's saying 'battery not recognized'.
What does that mean ???
The computer will not run unless it's plugged in.

2. Also should the laptop be plugged in at all times or do you let the battery run down then plug it in
(which is better for the battery)???

Thanks for your help.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Some will argue on what is a correct tactic, but generally you're no suppose to let it run down to let's say- below 20% before plugging back in to charge.
That's very strange issue with the battery.. Who replaced the hard drive for you? You shouldn't have a problem with it, is your computer detected as a laptop? Does it show on the menu bar a little power icon with a battery and plug?

nike 11

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

The hard drive was replaced at Best Buy. It wouldn't boot up so they replaced the hard drive.
But the battery was working fine before I took it in and I took it back to see if they forgot to plug in some wires but they told me the battery was dead and that's why I'm getting 'battery not detected.

I don't know if the computer is detected as a loptap...??? I don't know where to check that.

Yes on the menu bar there is a little power icon with a battery and plug,
and if you over it with the mouse it says 'battery not detected'.

Thanks so much for your response.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Sounds like Best Buy slipped up. You should NOT be having any problems like that if all they did was replace the hard drive, and then they told you that the battery was dead? Very strange...
Did by any chance you have any problem with little message popping up saying that you need to replace you battery etc.. before you got the drive replaced?

Thanks,

nike 11

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

No, no message at all.
The computer is fairly new and maybe was used an hour a day. And it would not reboot for 5 months before I went to BestBuy.
The battery worked when I took it to them and now they say I need a new one as that's why it' saying ' No Battery is detected'. what if I buy a new one and it says the same thing then I'm stuck with a batter I didn't need.

You had asked me if my computer was detected as a laptop, how does one go about finding that out, can I do it???
Could that be why it saying that???

Thanks again, I really could use the help.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
There is a way, but seeing that little charger icon at the top is enough to know that it is. It seems that the Acer Aspire One series of netbooks is known to have an issue with batteries not being detected- the fix is a BIOS update.

What is your laptop model specifically?

Thanks,

nike 11

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

My laptop is an:

Acer Aspire 5253-BZ846

Please let me know if it's something I can do so sas not to travel 45 miles (on way) to Best Buy.

Thanks.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
You have 2 solutions, the majority of people with your problem resolved it with a BIOS update- which can be risky, because if the power goes out while performing the update it will turn your laptop into a paper weight. The other solution is to take it back and get the laptop replaced.

If you want to do the BIOS update, I'd like to know what version you are currently running. To find out, click start > Type in: msinfo32.exe (then press enter) > about ten lines down from the top, you should see something called BIOS Version/Date, please tell me what is printed on that line.

The following BIOS version is 1.16, do not update unless you are sure that your current BIOS version is below that.

To update, download the linked BIOS from Acer, extract the contents on to your desktop. Open up the Windows folder, and run the file called P5Wx6116.exe.

Here is a direct link to the BIOS update: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.16_A_A.zip?acerid=634580418180814580&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%205253&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

nike 11

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

My BIOS Version/DATE ....V1.05, 1/6/11

Should I do the update???

Thanks again.

nike 11

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Hi,

Ok so I updated the BIOS to 1.16 and still it says 'No battery is detected'.
I removed the battery and put it back in and still the same message.

Any thing else I should do???

Thanks again for all your help.