Solved! Aspire A515-51 Laptop screen suddenly goes black but remains running

Jun 27, 2020
Hi there.

I have an Aspire A515-51 laptop. My screen just randomly fizzles out and turns black however everything else keeps running as I can still hear audio in playing. I have to shut the lid down and reopen it then only does the screen come back on. However, the screen flitters for a bit before returning to normal. This is starting to occur more often.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Not sure what video card you have. Nvidia and AMD each have different sites to get the drivers from.

You can also try your laptop vendor website.

Go through all of the driver updates and Windows updates (though I would wait on Windows 10 2004 optional update).

R

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Typically, this indicates a connection issue between the body of the laptop and the screen. Your screen could also just be failing - it is unusual but it definitely happens. When you say that the screen "flitters", it is hard to tell if it is a mechanical issue or not...is the flittering affected by tapping the screen or moving it a little bit?

Are there no other symptoms.... are all your drivers up to date? Does it happen with any kind of software running? Do you have temp problems with the CPU / GPU?

R

Jun 27, 2020
The flittering disappears after a few minutes. I've tried moving the screen or tapping it before, but that does not seem to get rid of the problem.

How do I check if my drivers are up to date?

Usually all I have open is Chrome. I've turned off all background apps in order to try and fix it but that does not seem to have worked.

Yes, my CPU was quite high but to tackle this I've changed my power usage settings to allow for my system to only use 75% of the processor power. This has rid of the overheating problem but my screen is still randomly going black.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Not sure what video card you have. Nvidia and AMD each have different sites to get the drivers from.

You can also try your laptop vendor website.

Go through all of the driver updates and Windows updates (though I would wait on Windows 10 2004 optional update).

R

Solution