ASUS A53S Charging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoDoneWithThis

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Approx. 4 months ago, about a year after I bought the laptop, the original charge cord stopped working. Tested it out with some other friend's ASUS Laptops of the same model, found out the brick was dead. Got a replacement one (No time for Warranty support, needed laptop for finals), back up and running, NBD. A month later, the replacement cord I got broke, had to get that replaced. Replacement for that also broke, for diff. reasons. IApparently First replacement hadn't broke, it was the power jack in the laptop. Got that replaced along with the second replacement.

Laptop stops charging a week later. I call up warranty and then send it in to be fixed a second time. I get a call back a week later, and I find out that the ASUS head on my 3rd party (TARGUS) charger, replacement #3, is too long, and is actually breaking out the back of the power jack. I get them to get me a new ASUS brand charger, along with fixing the damaged port. I've had my laptop back for all of 3 days and guess what.

IT STOPS CHARGING!!!!!!

But not all the time! Now, for whatever reason, it will flicker between charging and not, but only if I am doing something power intensive, like say, Solidworks, NX, and of course, various video games. I NEED this laptop for school. I have 3 classes that require 3D modelling. Does anyone have an idea on what the hell is going on?

TL;DR, Repeated charging problems, 2 power jack replacements, 4 replacement chargers, and it's still happening. HELP!!!

I would get a new laptop, preferably not ASUS, or, do like my Uncle did with his HP. He had several problems with an HP that he built on their website, he sent it back 3 times and to no avail, everytime he got it back, within about 30-60 days, it would die again, he finally asked them to exchange it with a similar but different model, he got a whole new replacement laptop that was a different model and he never had problems with it again.

Samuel Charette

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I have the same problem I think. I called Costco to get a new charger to see if it's y computer's problem or not. Seriously I think my computer is the problem, but i got no proof yet. The difference between me and you is that the tip of my charge which goes in my computer has melted somehow when i once tried too set it so it reload. My charger doesn't reload but if I force the cable somehow and that I keep a tension in it, the charger will work... The problem is that it works for about 5 mins then it restarts and I have to fix it back... I'm a student and a gamer and I can't live with this problem lol!.. I have an Asus A53S. I hope that it's the charger the problem but I can't know till I get the new one!

DewoftheMountain

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
The exact same problem here! After having it for exactly a year, one day I plug the charger into my ASUS laptop and it just starts flickering on and off. I try different chargers, but none of them work. I've used different methods of stacking books to weight it in the port, but that doesn't last more than a few hours in a certain position before it starts flickering.

misterjohn

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Same problem here!

Asus 53E... the charger won't connect properly with the internal connection. At first, I needed to turn the charger to a certain angle. But the problem has rapidly got worse. It happens with two Asus chargers and a third-party generic charger.

I have to say... I'm pretty disappointed with Asus now (although my Nexus 7 is fine).

Steve Kittel

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
My wife's laptop (Asus A53S) encountered the same issue. With the powercord plugging into the side, it really lacks the support. The main issue is that solder on the center prong that the voltage passes through ends up breaking. I had to disassemble the laptop to get to the motherboard, then solder the entire pin on the back side of the DC jack to strengthen it. The DC Jack can be purchased on EBay for fairly cheap if you have the skills and want to replace it altogether.

Disassembly video (Asus A53E but close enough): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veB54elfQj0

DC Jack: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-POWER-JACK-FOR-ASUS-A53S-A53SV-A53TA-A53E-ES92-X54-X54C-X54L-X54C-BBK7-/350688970486?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item51a6b106f6

Status
Not open for further replies.