Solved! ASUS FX53 Laptop

Kennyfukuda

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
I just bought an ASUS FX53VD-MS72, which has great specs for what I need it for (photo editing and some light gaming), but just an awful screen. I've got a good monitor I plug it into for at-home photography use, but the screen is unusable for photography when I'm out and about.

With that said, is it possible to upgrade the screen, and if so, what kind of screen have people used? Can I put in the screen used by the ASUS GL553 - when I check the specs on my FX53, it's showing up as a GL553, and the specs seem to be identical to the FX533. See https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/comments/5y6iwe/asus_fx53vdrs71/

Would upgrading the screen to an IPS panel fry the motherboard/laptop?

Solution
the connector and mounting parts would have to be the same, be sure you really get an IPS panel, some replacement displays are just cheap and not original.

Why don´t you sell or send the ASUS FX53VD-MS72 back and just get the ASUS GL553?
the connector and mounting parts would have to be the same, be sure you really get an IPS panel, some replacement displays are just cheap and not original.

Why don´t you sell or send the ASUS FX53VD-MS72 back and just get the ASUS GL553?

Solution

Kennyfukuda

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Thanks. I ended up returning the FX53, and for an extra $100 I got the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro. The panel upgrade didn't seem to be a good idea, and was risky. The notebook 9 pro had good enough specs, and an amazing panel.