Asus G51VX-Rx05 or something else?

speakez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop for school but also want to be able to game with it. Tigerdirect.ca has the Asus G51VX-RX05 refurb for $679.97 and then another $280.98 for a 2 year warranty . That brings the total to $960. Just wondering if you guys know of any other laptops that are as good or better than this one for around the same price with a 2 year warranty. I heard to G51 has some over heating issues so I am very wary of this.

here is what I am looking for:

1_What is your budget? $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? around 15" would like to avoid 17" as thats getting kinda big for school

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080 preferrably but doesnt matter that much

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable.

5_How much battery life do you need? a few hours atleast.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Something that will run mw2, civ5, sc2 etc.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Web browsing, movie watching.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? not important. 320gb is good enough.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. doesnt matter. would like to be able to see it in person but if i get enough positive comments about something I will take your word for it!
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? dvd-rom is ok. blu-ray is a plus (but not likely in my price range)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Asus only because they seem to have a good rep. and i like the styling of their laptops. Im new to the laptop scene so dont really know what brands are good.

13_What country do you live in? Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. Looking to buy in the next few weeks.

thanks so much to everyone who helps!

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums
Although it doesn't have the new Core i CPUs,its the best laptop(VGA wise) in your price range, so go for it

speakez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
thanks for the welcome and advice!

just wondering if you have heard anything about it over heating? ive seen some forum posts around the web about it, but it seems to be hit or miss.

i guess if im getting the 2 year warrenty it doesnt really matter. but im not sure because i am thinking i might like to overclock it a bit... what do you think?

speakez

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
awesome thanks for the help. provided i can get enough cash together before it sells out im gonna grab it. do you guys think the warrenty is worth it? i mean $300 just seems a little pricey, i could probably just replace the broken part for less, no?