ASUS G55vw VS. Lenovo Y580? Which one has better electricity consumption?

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
I am currently looking to buy a high performance laptop with a reasonable price tag. Therefore, I have found the ASUS G55VW and the Lenovo Y580 and was wondering which was a better buy.

Here are the Specs:
ASUS :-
CPU - Intel Core i7 3630QM (Quad core 2.4 GHz)
RAM - 8GB/12GB (not really decided which to get)
GPU - nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2GB
HDD - 750 GB 7200rpm
The thickest machine you will ever find (but thats ok, I never really move my machine anyway :p)

Lenovo :-
All the same specs, just thinner than the ASUS and has a 5400 rpm HDD.

I was just wondering which one, because I have been through a few reviews of each and they both seem great, it's just that the ASUS has a 180W power supply and seeing that electricity charges in my country (Sri Lanka) are outrageous, i'm not so sure about it. I haven't been able to find any information on the power consumption of the Lenovo, so I can't really say anything about that.

They both seem to be around the same price and I am trying to buy them both from abroad as such high performance machines in my country are as outrageously expensive as the electricity bills :p

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

The power draw of the system is determined by the parts. In this case, with both systems being virtually identical, with the HDD being the only difference, there would be little change in power draw/usage. The 5400rpm HDD does use less power but on such a small scale that I don't think there would be a noticable difference on your power bill (I'd venture less than 1 watt/hr difference). It only really makes a difference when running on batteries where that difference is seen in reduced battery time. I think I would personally go with the Asus machine in this case.

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
Could you link us to the actual purchase pages of these two laptops? There's an important spec that you forgot to list, and that is the display.

At least for the Y580 (ocasionally also an issue for the G55VW, in rare cases and in select countries), you generally want to make sure that the model you are buying is one of the models that comes with the 1920x1080 display, and not one of the models that comes with the 1366x768 display. While the 15.6" 1920x1080 displays available in both lines are great, with actual panel quality not being too bad, and in that they let you fit a lot onscreen due to the resolution itself, the reason you want this type of display and not the other type of display isn't just because of how good this type of display is, it's also because of how poor the other type of display is. 1366x768 resolution in a 15.6" display makes things onscreen large, and 15.6" displays that have 1366x768 resolution tend to be low-grade LCD panels with very poor image quality due to low contrast.