Asus G71J Won't Turn On!

jchen112catw

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I have an Asus G71J. Bought it around 2 years ago. Few days ago, it suddenly won't turn on from sleep. Most of the time when I'm away I put the laptop in sleep mode.

I tried:

1.) holding the power button to restart the laptop
2.) removing the battery -> putting it back in again -> holding the power button to restart
3.) removing the battery and disconnecting the AC-adapter -> holding the power button for a minute -> then connecting the AC-adapter, but leaving the battery out this time
4.) removing the battery and disconnecting the AC-adapter -> holding the power button for a minute -> then putting the battery back in, but this time not connecting the AC-adapter

All these methods did not work when I tried turning the laptop back on. The laptop is completely silent and screen is off. However, both the charging symbol (battery with bolt) lights up as solid orange and the light-bulb symbol lights up as white color when the AC-adapter is connected to the laptop. Pressing the power button did not turn the laptop back on. I'm not tech-savy and hardly a gamer. I use this mostly for school and work and most of the time it just stays on my desk. The laptop is out of warranty. Can someone offer me a solution or an explanation to the issue? Do I need a new motherboard? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution

If it won't turn on at all when you tried all the power tricks, it could be a dead motherboard. Did you try with one RAM stick at a time if you have more than one, or maybe a different stick of RAM? Try without the hard drive attached also.

jchen112catw

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

The laptop is off right now and not turning on at all, but it is still charging I think. I still see the solid orange light on the charging symbol when plugged in to the AC. I put it to sleep last time when it was on before it decided not to wake up when I returned home.

If it won't turn on at all when you tried all the power tricks, it could be a dead motherboard. Did you try with one RAM stick at a time if you have more than one, or maybe a different stick of RAM? Try without the hard drive attached also.

Solution