Asus g73jh power up / start up problems

anjimito

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hi, I have an ASUS g73jh, it's about half a year old, and it hadn't given me any problems...

But then, two days ago, I'm encountering strange behavior when I turn on the laptop. When I push the power button, the laptop goes through a weird cycle of:

1) laptop's keyboard LEDs light up
2) it sounds like the hard drive starts spinning, but monitor remains black
3) after 4 or 5 seconds, everything powers down
4) a few seconds later, go back to #1 and repeat the cycle

After a few cycles, the laptop eventually boots up in normal fashion and seems to work fine, but I am concerned. What could be causing the laptop to not just power up normally from the start? Anyone else encounter this problem?

The only major software/hardware change I've done to the computer, 2 or 3 days ago, I accidentally uninstalled the ATI control center from the laptop when having crashing issues after upgrading the ATI driver directly from ATI's website. So I just uninstalled everything ATI related, and reinstalled the ATI package from ASUS's website for the laptop. It seemed to work fine, since I don't crash anymore during games, but now this issue wonders if something happened.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, or if any fellow g73jh owners experienced the same problems.

tempest_inc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hi, I have an ASUS g73jh, it's about half a year old, and it hadn't given me any problems...

But then, two days ago, I'm encountering strange behavior when I turn on the laptop. When I push the power button, the laptop goes through a weird cycle of:

1) laptop's keyboard LEDs light up
2) it sounds like the hard drive starts spinning, but monitor remains black
3) after 4 or 5 seconds, everything powers down
4) a few seconds later, go back to #1 and repeat the cycle

After a few cycles, the laptop eventually boots up in normal fashion and seems to work fine, but I am concerned. What could be causing the laptop to not just power up normally from the start? Anyone else encounter this problem?

The only major software/hardware change I've done to the computer, 2 or 3 days ago, I accidentally uninstalled the ATI control center from the laptop when having crashing issues after upgrading the ATI driver directly from ATI's website. So I just uninstalled everything ATI related, and reinstalled the ATI package from ASUS's website for the laptop. It seemed to work fine, since I don't crash anymore during games, but now this issue wonders if something happened.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, or if any fellow g73jh owners experienced the same problems.

I'm currently experiencing a similar issue. as well as an odd issue with my fans on the laptop. As soon as i boot the laptop it turns the fans to full throttle, and unlike usual it doesn't turn off after post. There is aslo a long delay between the computer lighting up the keyboard and it actually posting.

anjimito

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I eventually had to return my laptop for an RMA due to a different issue (RAM recognition issues), and it turns out there was also a problem with a fan in there. I think that's what affected my startup issues. If it's not too late to submit your laptop for an RMA, I'd suggest you do it. :)